Opinion Non-Crows AFL 4: The Centre Cannot Hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a discussion about that on the main forum earlier today.

My own view is that she has a right to abstain from the game based on her beliefs if she wants... but that choice will come with consequences, quite possibly the loss of her AFLW career. GWS might decide they don't want to be associated with someone who holds her viewpoints, or even simpler, someone who will make themselves unavailable to play based on their beliefs, weakening their entire team. At the very least, the majority of her teammates will likely not trust her from now on.

You're allowed to hold shitty beliefs as long as you're not actively abusive or offensive, but that doesn't shield you from the consequences of people not wanting to associate with a bigot.

Agreed. I have no problem with whatever belief or personal values she has; it’s only a problem when you try and manifest those beliefs in some way more overtly.

If she won’t wear the jumper, then she shouldn’t be part of the league.

Honestly it really is the same as a white supremacist boycotting indigenous round.

Bye bye

She is in effect holding and manifesting beliefs that run contrary to the values of the league and should be excluded from it

It staggers me that Liam Jones is excluded from the league (setting aside his own complicit misjudgment), and someone who holds discriminating views against gay people is still welcome

My own view is that she has a right to abstain from the game based on her beliefs if she wants... but that choice will come with consequences, quite possibly the loss of her AFLW career. GWS might decide they don't want to be associated with someone who holds her viewpoints, or even simpler, someone who will make themselves unavailable to play based on their beliefs, weakening their entire team. At the very least, the majority of her teammates will likely not trust her from now on.

You're allowed to hold shitty beliefs as long as you're not actively abusive or offensive, but that doesn't shield you from the consequences of people not wanting to associate with a bigot.
Bigotry behind the shield of religion.....

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know about that. She's not mouthing off about it publicly, like Israel Folau. She's quietly said that it's against her beliefs, and those shared by her community, and stood herself down for 1 game.

I agree that there are always consequences for actions, but I doubt there will be any major consequences for her in this instance.

Agreed. I have no problem with whatever belief or personal values she has; it’s only a problem when you try and manifest those beliefs in some way more overtly.

If she won’t wear the jumper, then she shouldn’t be part of the league.

Honestly it really is the same as a white supremacist boycotting indigenous round.

Bye bye

She is in effect holding and manifesting beliefs that run contrary to the values of the league and should be excluded from it

It staggers me that Liam Jones is excluded from the league (setting aside his own complicit misjudgment), and someone who holds discriminating views against gay people is still welcome
Did Bachar Houli or Adam Saad have a problem, both practicing Muslims.

I don't know, haven't really taken any notice till this came up? If not why not?
The only themed rounds mentioned in the 2022 Fixture articles are the ANZAC Appeal round, and Doug Nicholls Round. They've also had Heritage Round in the past, though it's been abandoned for a while now. As far as I'm aware, the AFL has never had a Pride round - and thus nothing for Houli & Saad to object to.

I suspect the AFLW chose to have a Pride round because a high percentage of lesbian players in the league. In comparison, the AFL has few gay players - at least few who are "out".

The more themed rounds they have, the less significant they become. I suspect the AFL has decided to limit themselves to just 2x themed rounds, and chose ANZAC and Indigenous (Doug Nicholls) as being more significant.

Not a Pride round, but ...

And by ‘few who are out’ you mean ‘zero’.
Exactly. The majority of AFL players are hetero, and there are (comparatively) few gay players, and even fewer (possibly none) who are "out". The majority of AFLW players are lesbian. That's why it's a much bigger issue, and thus a reason for a themed round, in AFLW.

Exactly. The majority of AFL players are hetero, and there are (comparatively) few gay players, and even fewer (possibly none) who are "out". The majority of AFLW players are lesbian. That's why it's a much bigger issue, and thus a reason for a themed round, in AFLW.
Who would really know the % breakdown & who really cares as not relevant.

Big call to say the majority of AFLW are lesbians, not that there is anything wrong with that if true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would really know the % breakdown & who really cares as not relevant.

Big call to say the majority of AFLW are lesbians, not that there is anything wrong with that if true.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Far from it.

A high percentage of professional female sports players are lesbian, in many (but not all) sports. Basketball is another which is famously dominated by lesbians, and has even seen "straight" players driven out of some teams.

I'm stating it as fact - not making any judgement on it.

A high percentage of professional female sports players are lesbian, in many (but not all) sports. Basketball is another which is famously dominated by lesbians, and has even seen "straight" players driven out of some teams.

You mustnt know many female footballers then.

So its not fact

My point is how would you know it is a fact for AFLW.

I would have my doubts it is majority.

My point is how would you know it is a fact for AFLW.

I would have my doubts it is majority.
Even if it's not a majority (though it probably is) - it's still a high percentage, much higher than in the men's game - and that's the relevant point.

Even if it's not a majority (though it probably is) - it's still a high percentage, much higher than in the men's game - and that's the relevant point.
No, the relevant point was you claimed a fact for something which is purely a guess as no one would really know. ;)

Does the AFL have a Pride Round?

They don't - though Sydney and St Kilda have had a Pride Game since 2016.

The AFL's response is they don't want to go overboard with the themed rounds, hence they've now been pretty much stripped back to Sir Doug Nicholls Round for the men's comp.

No, the relevant point was you claimed a fact for something which is purely a guess as no one would really know. ;)
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the majority of AFLW players are lesbian, but I don't have a source for it - and I can't be bothered searching. It's definitely the case in the WNBA, where there are even examples of "straight" players being driven out of teams because of their sexuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back