Opinion Non-Crows AFL 4: The Centre Cannot Hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the majority of AFLW players are lesbian, but I don't have a source for it - and I can't be bothered searching. It's definitely the case in the WNBA, where there are even examples of "straight" players being driven out of teams because of their sexuality.
Pretty sure you read.... Lol that's a low bar

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the majority of AFLW players are lesbian, but I don't have a source for it - and I can't be bothered searching. It's definitely the case in the WNBA, where there are even examples of "straight" players being driven out of teams because of their sexuality.
I would be doubtful if anyone has this information for either women or men... as it's not relevant to them in their job.

I'm not aware of any HR system that records sexuality... as it wouldn't be allowed!

If you did read it, I'm confident they were guessing too.

This article suggests that "70-80% of the AFLW is made up of same sex attracted players".
https://sirensport.com.au/aussie-rules/pride-in-our-game/

The Age had an article discussing many aspects of same-sex relationships in the AFLW:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...nd-goes-to-heart-of-aflw-20210204-p56zow.html
Such a concept is particularly pertinent in women’s football, where same-sex relationships are common.

Then there's this article from FoxSport, which talks about how gay players in the AFLW will force the AFL to rethink many of their policies:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...s/news-story/be57669ffd582c7257fae9d5ef7edb15

I'm pretty comfortable with my statement that the majority of AFLW players are gay.

At the end of the day, the actual percentage doesn't matter. There are a significant number of LGBTIQA+ people playing AFLW. That hasn't been disputed by anyone.

Also, a lot of LGBTIQA+ people have embraced the AFLW as supporters. The competition is considered a safe space for the LGBTIQA+ community. Pride Round is a fantastic celebration of this - and it was initiated by the clubs (basically the AFL got sick of clubs asking for Pride Games following the success of the Bulldogs v Carlton matches so made an entire round for it).

Let's celebrate this success rather than squabble about percentages.

At the end of the day, the actual percentage doesn't matter. There are a significant number of LGBTIQA+ people playing AFLW. That hasn't been disputed by anyone.

Also, a lot of LGBTIQA+ people have embraced the AFLW as supporters. The competition is considered a safe space for the LGBTIQA+ community. Pride Round is a fantastic celebration of this - and it was initiated by the clubs (basically the AFL got sick of clubs asking for Pride Games following the success of the Bulldogs v Carlton matches so made an entire round for it).

Let's celebrate this success rather than squabble about percentages.
Forgive my ignorance, what is the +?

I think the issue comes from Vader throwing out another wrong opinion of his as an undeniable fact.

I am not sure who the straight people are that were chased out of the WNBA league?

He might have got it the idea from a very disgruntled Candice Wiggins who incorrectly said that 98% of women in the WNBA were gay. She also said the league was bullying her because she was straight and nationally popular and thats why she retired to pursue an unsuccessful volleyball career.

I think the issue comes from Vader throwing out another wrong opinion of his as an undeniable fact.
Which I have subsequently confirmed... so not a wrong opinion.

... and if people want to shoot the messenger, rather than dealing with the message - well that's their problem. Whether it's a majority, or only 49.5%, is immaterial. The fact is that there are a large number of lesbian AFLW players, compared to the number of gay AFL players. This is why Pride Week is so much more important to the AFLW than it would be to the AFL.

I am not sure who the straight people are that were chased out of the WNBA league?

He might have got it the idea from a very disgruntled Candice Wiggins who incorrectly said that 98% of women in the WNBA were gay. She also said the league was bullying her because she was straight and nationally popular and thats why she retired to pursue an unsuccessful volleyball career.
I know in some cricket circles girls were "strongly encouraged" to join their teammates persuasion, but mostly in a lighthearted fashion.

There's a large number of straight players in the Crows side and none of them have any issues with their teammates, why would they

Basically it's anyone else they haven't given a letter to yet
The letters are already there, it's just cumbersome to say/write an acronym that is so long so the plus is used. Also, occasionally terms get introduced or fall out of use and this way they don't need to keep updating it.

In any event, the point is to be inclusive to anyone whose sexuality or gender identity varies from cishet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad end for Luke Valente...

My mail was spot on last year it seems.

Sad for Luke, I can only hope he gets back home and is able to start enjoying life again.

I normally like your posts but you’ve come off as bit of a know-it-all lately.

According to one of our own players, Ailish Considine, 2/3 of the list are LGBTQ+. https://www.the42.ie/ailish-considine-3-5458351-Jun2021/?amp=1

Far be it from me to tell her shes wrong, but I would have thought half. In any case, I think the younger generation coming through would be half or less than.... more a general representation of the general public. Certainly the women's clubs ive been involved in over the last few seasons would be nowhere near half of the squad, probably not even a quarter really.

Not that there's anything wrong with it of course.

I don't know about that. She's not mouthing off about it publicly, like Israel Folau. She's quietly said that it's against her beliefs, and those shared by her community, and stood herself down for 1 game.

I agree that there are always consequences for actions, but I doubt there will be any major consequences for her in this instance.

Refusing to play in a themed celebration round isn’t a public stance?

That’s some gymnastics

There was a discussion about that on the main forum earlier today.

My own view is that she has a right to abstain from the game based on her beliefs if she wants... but that choice will come with consequences, quite possibly the loss of her AFLW career. GWS might decide they don't want to be associated with someone who holds her viewpoints, or even simpler, someone who will make themselves unavailable to play based on their beliefs, weakening their entire team. At the very least, the majority of her teammates will likely not trust her from now on.

You're allowed to hold shitty beliefs as long as you're not actively abusive or offensive, but that doesn't shield you from the consequences of people not wanting to associate with a bigot.

My view, if you are going to be a politically woke organisation to please all, make sure you ******* do it properly. Dont do an amateur hour half arsed effort that undoes all the hard work in appealing to the muslim community.

The guernseys were always an over reach and frankly even GWS need to be publicly torn to shreds for not ringing the AFL and suggest an alternative needs to be found, due to religious reasons. You know, the whole multicultural thing you guys want to promote?

I would be doubtful if anyone has this information for either women or men... as it's not relevant to them in their job.

I'm not aware of any HR system that records sexuality... as it wouldn't be allowed!

If you did read it, I'm confident they were guessing too.

Statistically there isn't alot of straight women playing the game. which is fine. As long as teams are an inclusive environment for all who cares, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back