Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty Nicks knew what he was in for when he was coming. We were very clear that we wanted to do a rebuild, and an aggressive rebuild at that, we knew we had to move on a few of our older players and try some of our younger players that haven’t been exposed to AFL football in the last two years,” Ricciuto said.

Again Einstein, that quote was after we were 0-11, it's meaningless, it's retro-fitting a plan based on the outcome. That's the core of the argument, whether it was planned ahead of time. Listening to Roo lie about it at 0-11 isn't a point in your favour.

Again Einstein, that quote was after we were 0-11, it's meaningless, it's retro-fitting a plan based on the outcome. That's the core of the argument, whether it was planned ahead of time. Listening to Roo lie about it at 0-11 isn't a point in your favour.
You got any quotes to say "he lied"? He will sue you for defamation lol.

If yo7 want to post evidence that it was a planned plummet to near the bottom, you'll need to provide something from before we plummeted. Having Roo excuse himself after the event is irrelevant. Pretty simple really, basic provision of evidence knowledge.
Serious question, If you were a Crows Exec / Footy Ops would you have disclosed your FULL intents (ie aggressive rebuild = years of pain) before embarking on our biggest ever reset? A crows fan base already sick of PR camp crap and underperforming since the last Saturday of September 2017. Negative commercial impact with memberships and corporates? What goes on inside the walls will always be toned down for the external messaging at such a time.

Has any team ever come out and said we are going a major rebuild and likely bottom 4 for the next 2-3 years? Perhaps they have but I can’t recall

Especially when he also said that with the group we still had we didn’t expect to be that bad but the senior players didn’t perform as expected

Ok this should be good. What are your predictions for the Weagles in 2024 and 2025.

Me:

2024 - almost certain bottom 2. Wins overs/unders the lowest of ANY team at 4.5 (Kangas 5.5 and then Hawks 8.5) AND still playing a large bunch of golden oldies 3 (or more) years into rebuild.

2025 - VERY probable bottom 4.

2026 onwards - 5/6 of their best players and Kelly and Barrass on last legs. Missing finals for at least another 3 years

Bookmarking this post so your best guess mate

I don't need to predict anything. We'll be able to compare our rebuild v theirs as the seasons unfold. Making statements as if the results are in is ridiculous. But, for fun, ours will max out under Nicks lower than where Neil Craig got us and without the dom8nant minor rounds. Eagles will almost certainly finish bottom 2 this year, not sure where they go from there, need to get a better look at them this year. Can't say I've gone out of my way to watch them the last couple of years. Surprised there's so many experts TBH.

I don't need to predict anything. We'll be able to compare our rebuild v theirs as the seasons unfold. Making statements as if the results are in is ridiculous. But, for fun, ours will max out under Nicks lower than where Neil Craig got us and without the dom8nant minor rounds. Eagles will almost certainly finish bottom 2 this year, not sure where they go from there, need to get a better look at them this year. Can't say I've gone out of my way to watch them the last couple of years. Surprised there's so many experts TBH.
All good, we are on the same page re Weagles this year and can check again in a couple of years re 2025 and 2026.

Why less than Craig? We don’t yet have the proven quantity of A Grader elites (fab 4 midfield etc) that Craigy had? Not making the GF in both 2005 and 2006 made up for our luck in 97 and 98. I see our current youngsters as the most talented - across so many parts of the ground but with 1-2 pure elite mids still ideally needed - as the best in 30 years.

Time will tell..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting - so you feel that both you and WCE think this will be a very swift turnaround?

I'd be curious what those who are closer to that club would think.

No, I said what I think we can deduce WCE’s thinking is from their actions

I also gave an example of how unreliable their recent assessments have been

Harley Reid looks the real deal though

Last edited:
Daniel Hoskin goal umpiring the St Kilda v North Melbourne game.

Coincidentally St Kilda kick 3.10 to end he’s umpiring 😂
How can this dude keep his job???
A proven failure when the heat is on. Firstly, showed his incompetence by not observing the exact thing he's paid to do. He followed this with a deliberately arrogant decision to call the point due to his 100% surety. But most catastrophically, he then ignored the safety net of the review system resulting in significant consequences for several clubs but acutely, ours.

It's a disgrace that one could fail so badly and still be retained as a competent umpire.

It will be interesting to see if he gets an Adelaide game this year. If not, does that mean the AFL are scheduling particular umpires to particular games? This could be a Pandora's box of conspiracy!!

Huh?

We thought we were still in vicinity of our window, fix the culture and bounce right back

We were contending for finals in 2019 and I think, and thought at the time, we were hoping for a Sando spike.

Why do you think we were chasing Grundy so hard?

We don’t hire Nicks at all, if we have the first inclination any of what happened was even vaguely possible

What McCrae did with Collingwood was closer to what we expected. We blamed Pyke and wanted to lance the boil.

At no stage did we ever do anything to show we embraced the full rebuild. And never really did afterwards either

Most things indicates we did embrace it come the end of 2020. I do think we got a bit lucky with COVID however, and shaking someone like Dawson loose which did change the profile of our build - to the point where we really should be going all in by the end of the year.

However, look at our key decisions in 2020-2021:

Letting Crouch walk as a FA (as much as we read the room wrong).
Not retaining Talia.
Resigning Nicks to a contract extension off a 7 win season in 2021 and not sacking at the end of 2022 when he won 8 games with a better percentage.

All of those screamed we embraced it, especially not sacking Nicks come the end of 2022.

Heck this was our average match profile in 2022, which is our lowest point when it comes to age/experience: It's one of the lowest put up by a non-expansion side in the last decade, especially on the experience side and age is one of the more aggressive differentials between them and even other rebuilders.

1709458331847.png

Which matches the list state:

1709459775890.png

I do think there is a level with rebuilds that expectation doesn't meet reality, seeing it's just a list management exercise in knee capping a side for draft picks, ideally putting a team where their best isn't good enough. Not so much that teams will purposely lose for them.

Last edited:
The Tribunal should apply a stupidity loading.

+2 games for stupidly doing this right after another player got suspended for similar
+2 games for stupidly doing this after the AFL explicitly cracked down on head injuries
+2 games for the stupidly unnecessary action in the context of the game
+4 games for the stupidity of doing it during a pre season match

4 game base suspension. Gone for 14 weeks

How can this dude keep his job???
A proven failure when the heat is on. Firstly, showed his incompetence by not observing the exact thing he's paid to do. He followed this with a deliberately arrogant decision to call the point due to his 100% surety. But most catastrophically, he then ignored the safety net of the review system resulting in significant consequences for several clubs but acutely, ours.

It's a disgrace that one could fail so badly and still be retained as a competent umpire.

It will be interesting to see if he gets an Adelaide game this year. If not, does that mean the AFL are scheduling particular umpires to particular games? This could be a Pandora's box of conspiracy!!

I hope all of this is satire

No, that wasn't the reason at all.

I left here for a short time. It followed people on here making direct comments about who I was in real life, and I found that creepy and gross, and frankly it felt like BigFooty was a pretty negative influence on my mental health.

I wanted to return anonymously because there's so few places to actually have any discussions on the Crows.

I outed myself as soon as someone asked.

Leaving out the bit where you lost a bet where you promised to stop posting, reneged on it, and went a name change instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back