Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be pissed if I was a Carlton fan and the team used something that happened 20 years ago as an excuse for being s**t now.
I don't think it's really used as an excuse though. It's more that they have never recovered from that because they have made one terrible decision after another (mostly in terms of admin of the club) and even despite all of their top draft picks since then, they are still a shambles.

I don't think it's really used as an excuse though. It's more that they have never recovered from that because they have made one terrible decision after another (mostly in terms of admin of the club) and even despite all of their top draft picks since then, they are still a shambles.

They were on the up when they got Judd and seemed to be be building a decent enough squad but they made some WTF moments a few years later.

They were on the up when they got Judd and seemed to be be building a decent enough squad but they made some WTF moments a few years later.

There's a correlation here.

Judd with Eagles - s**t hot, Eagles post-Judd - just s**t
Judd with Blues - not as s**t, Blues post-Judd - just s**t

He's often considered in GOAT discussions for a reason, if it wasn't for the OP he would've retired as undisputed GOAT imo.

The OP obviously impacted Judd but I think also the situation he found himself in at Carlton required a very different Judd.

Judd had truckloads more quality midfield support and arguably one of the best rucks of all time at the Eagles. He really had to do a shed load more heavy lifting to try and make it work at the Blues.

So Wallace has tipped freo to be a big slider down the ladder !

Does this mean they are premiership contenders ?

On a side note why does Wallace still have a job as an "expert" after tipping the eventual PREMIERS to win the spoon ?

So Wallace has tipped freo to be a big slider down the ladder !

Does this mean they are premiership contenders ?

On a side note why does Wallace still have a job as an "expert" after tipping the eventual PREMIERS to win the spoon ?

I'm struggling to conceive how Freo could be considered big sliders given they finished 5th last in 2018. They can drop 4 spots max, and realistically 3 spots max seeing as Gold Coast are still a thing.

At best that's a slight drop off.

I did see Terry Wallace referred to as a "list management expert" today and did a spit-take, despite not having a drink at the time. Much like when he insisted he had a five-year plan, even when it was obvious he had no plan beyond milking Richmond for all they were worth, he can blatantly lie his ass off and no one in the media calls him on it. That is the one and only thing he deserves to be called an "expert" at.

Honestly I think Fremantle will push for finals. Anywhere from 6-10 with their new recruits. However they could do a Port and completely * it all up, which is the preferred outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I think Fremantle will push for finals. Anywhere from 6-10 with their new recruits. However they could do a Port and completely **** it all up, which is the preferred outcome.
They SHOULD be pushing for finals. They’ve chased hard for WA boys and gotten:
Hogan, Lobb, Conca, Colyer, Hill, Wilson, Matera, Hamling, McCarthy & Kersten the last few years.
Plus Bennell but he’s not been able to get on the park. High risk/high reward for them hasn’t worked out just yet.

Granted, Hogan is probably the only A grader in that group but that’s a list of AFL quality footballers who are in their footballing prime that they’ve had come through. I think it would be a massive disappointment if they didn’t make the finals this year, especially if that group above stays fit all year.

It remains to be seen whether Lyon is flexible enough to design a game plan that works for his side. There’s enough talent at his disposal.

I predict Fremantle will struggle in the first half of the year but win most of their games in the second half to make a charge at finals only to fall short. They will get massively overconfident during the following preseason, hand out a bunch of extensions, then collapse into the bottom 4 again in 2020.

It remains to be seen whether Lyon is flexible enough to design a game plan that works for his side. There’s enough talent at his disposal.

Foxy old Lyon giving contracts to Sandi, Ballas and Bennell so he can lay any failure at the feet of the misfortune of injury.

Freo have got the tools on their list to do some damage, whether they will, as you say, remains to be seen.

The only player that joined Carlton in the past few years that their original club wanted to keep was the less talented McGovern. Docherty, one of the few experienced consistent players left, did his knee again. Gibbs is gone, Kreuzer is perenially injured or coming back from injury (and 30 now, too), Murphy is 32 and on the downward trend, Simpson is 35 but Carlton fans think he will improve for some odd reason.

Basically if Patrick Cripps is injured or gets tagged out a game they are stuffed. The Curnow with actual talent cannot kick all their goals and Dow and Walsh and Weitering etc are still kids.

I understand their fans need to be optimistic but they are in for a massive world of hurt for a couple of years.

The only player that joined Carlton in the past few years that their original club wanted to keep was the less talented McGovern. Docherty, one of the few experienced consistent players left, did his knee again. Gibbs is gone, Kreuzer is perenially injured or coming back from injury (and 30 now, too), Murphy is 32 and on the downward trend, Simpson is 35 but Carlton fans think he will improve for some odd reason.

Basically if Patrick Cripps is injured or gets tagged out a game they are stuffed. The Curnow with actual talent cannot kick all their goals and Dow and Walsh and Weitering etc are still kids.

I understand their fans need to be optimistic but they are in for a massive world of hurt for a couple of years.
And the crows have their first rounder in this year's draft. At least there's no point tanking this season

Luke meadows might get picked up by hawthorn after dominating in a match recently over there.
Cant believe we didnt pick him up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Luke meadows might get picked up by hawthorn after dominating in a match recently over there.
Cant believe we didnt pick him up

More often than not they eventually demonstrate why they were ignored during the draft.

They won't admit it now, but there were some that were whining incessantly when we didn't draft Dayle Garlett or trade for Harley Bennell etc etc.

More often than not they eventually demonstrate why they were ignored during the draft.

They won't admit it now, but there were some that were whining incessantly when we didn't draft Dayle Garlett or trade for Harley Bennell etc etc.
Are you saying he's a loose canon like them?
I think he wouldve been ideal for us as he can play back or in the midfield
If he gets picked up by hawthorn or anyone else he'll show that he belongs at the highest level
Guys like micharl barlow ,priddis ,tim kelly and heaps of others have made recruiters look silly by coming in and dominating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back