Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we will ever see a time now where a football players poor choices are not mentioned in the same breath as mental health issues.

Is the mental health battle genuinely being lost within the professional sport environment? These guys and girls have access to Drs and psychologists on demand.

And if these issues turn out to be excuses to avoid media criticism, are they diluting the real impacts of mental health in our society?

And if these issues turn out to be excuses to avoid media criticism, are they diluting the real impacts of mental health in our society?

This is my big issue. Mental health struggles are very real, and very damaging. The level of care and information available to athletes now is exceptional compared to where it was in the past. I don’t doubt for a second that a significant portion of athletes do battle demons due to the high pressure and public nature of their life.

What annoys me is when people use these things to deflect from other problems. Everyone has felt anxious. Not everyone has clinical anxiety.

I don’t doubt that Hogan has clinical anxiety, not at all. God knows the poor kid has been through enough already. But when you make a statement like this where you’re linking clinical anxiety and bad choices with alcohol ahead of round one, it makes everyone think you’re trying to deflect.

So many people already don’t believe the serious nature of mental health problems, and don’t understand how damaging issues can be, because every time someone gets caught in a bad spot they claim mental health. It’s the boy who cried wolf at an industrial level, and it would be even more demeaning for the people facing mammoth battles to see others use mental health struggles as a catch all shield for deflecting criticism.

I’m not saying that’s the case with this incident, but Freo would have to understand that the optics of the situation don’t look great.

I wonder if we will ever see a time now where a football players poor choices are not mentioned in the same breath as mental health issues.

Is the mental health battle genuinely being lost within the professional sport environment? These guys and girls have access to Drs and psychologists on demand.

Absolutely, anyone gets in trouble mental health is blamed, then people see it as an excuse for their own poor behavior

Interesting to read an article where the words 'clinical anxiety' mentioned about 40 times then at the very end they mention bad choices with alcohol just call a spade a spade FFS

Cobblers certainly cobbled in their PR department.

On a separate note, anxiety can be difficult to deal with. He could well be going through a tough time.

Maybe he had anxiety around football. Maybe it’s Ross’s wondering hand. Who knows. But let’s not trivialise it. At end of the day he is still a young man.

All thing considered, Robbo is a bigger fool than I thought after his effort on 360 - just as we talk about hate speech. He even thinks Danaher should play with a torn calf. he needs to be called out

Robbo would like to blame some poor choices around alcohol he made due to clinical mental health issues for any stupid or slurred statement he has made in the past 15 years.

I've said it before, next time I get caught smoking 1 marijuana, whacking off or drinking maple syrup straight out of the bottle I'm blaming "mental health issues".

I've said it before, next time I get caught smoking 1 marijuana, whacking off or drinking maple syrup straight out of the bottle I'm blaming "mental health issues".

One marijuana? That should be okay, I smoked two marijuana last night and turned up at work okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually surprised that more AFL players don't have alcohol problems stemming from anxiety issues, with the vultures in media that live around them.

I'm also a little disappointed that people think mentioning anxiety is a copout or a lame excuse. It's not like Fremantle as a club wheel out that line often. I can't remember them ever making a public statement about very specific mental health issues. Amidst the litany of idiotic things their players have done over the past few years, I don't recall a conversation about specific diagnoses. I mean my memory is terrible because of poor alcohol choices, but I do try my best to remember all of the hilarious fremantle escapes of drunken idiocy.

Peeps have gotta remember that there's more stigma to carrying mental health issues into the public world than there could ever be possible benefits of covering up minor indiscretions.

I get it, I hate Freo and their supporters and a good deal of their players too. But come on.

The freo board is a highly entertaining read right now

Not drinking at the moment, but seriously considering picking up a 6 pack and settling in for the night on the Freo board.

I can’t help but feel that his anxiety and getting pissed in Mandurah are more unrelated than they are related.

Like others have said, making it public knowledge now, just sounds like an excuse. If they were keeping it quiet for his own health, they should have continued keeping it quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back