Oppo Camp Non Eagles Discussion thread - 2016 Finals/offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's what I'm saying basically. He's got a hard enough sell with Port Adelaide already, let alone them going up against a team wearing the national colours. That's why he's so pissed.

Looking forward to the game actually.

I wonder if they will try to get them to sing 'Never tear us apart' too

9/ 13 Chinese Super league sides wear red at home (according to a poster in the new jumpers thread). I guess there's a reason to be scared.

I think your estimate of the value of a DKBJ is considerably higher than mine.
Apparently he uses no hands.

Which clubs would consider selling a home game to play in China?

Gold Coast obviously
GWS possibly but given the AFL are trying to promote the game in NSW I'm not sure they'd support it
Brisbane probably
The other non-vic clubs - WCE, freo, crows and swans would be GAGF

Saints maybe
Bulldogs maybe but they have an agreement in place with the NT for one of their home games already
Kangaroos are committed to tassie
Melbourne maybe

The other vic clubs are strong enough financially not to need to sell a home game

Can hardly see other clubs banging the door down to sell a home game for $500k
There getting $500k!! Port!! We're they high when they decided to pay port that

There getting $500k!! Port!! We're they high when they decided to pay port that
Port are paying the Suns. Basically buying a Suns home game for half a mil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chinese people are known to be superstitious and supporting a team wearing mostly red would be a no brainier for them, if they somehow happened upon an AFL game.

Then there's the fact that the Gold Coast if a far more prominent tourist destination for Chinese people than Port Adelaide/Adelaide.

You mean they are communist and support a team wearing red.

Amazing how people think "support" will come over something like colour of Guernsey. I am pretty sure Chinese don't all drive red cars because it's good luck.

Besides support is merely superficial. Afl can't even overtake Australia, let alone make an impact over there. It's competing against soccer. If kochy thinks this will do anything for his club merchandise wise, he will be in for a shock.

It was north.

The AFL cited "integrity of the fixture" at the time, iirc.

giphy.gif

Amazing how people think "support" will come over something like colour of Guernsey. I am pretty sure Chinese don't all drive red cars because it's good luck.

In sports I have no cultural connection to (i.e. any American leagues), I pick teams based on colour preferences*. Red is a lucky colour in Chinese culture and the colour their international teams usually wear, so I don't think it's totally irrational to suggest that might influence people who otherwise have no preference. Particularly given the importance of luck in sport (and the number of huge soccer teams with red shirts...).

The real question is, why did this not occur to Port until now?

*Blue and gold, naturally.

FWIW, there are port matches in China for the next 3 years.

9 of the 16 Chinese super league soccer teams wear red at home.
You mean they are communist and support a team wearing red.

Besides support is merely superficial. Afl can't even overtake Australia, let alone make an impact over there. It's competing against soccer. If kochy thinks this will do anything for his club merchandise wise, he will be in for a shock.
See above. More than half the league says that colour plays a part. Superstition plays a huge role in sport. Whether it's a sportsmen wearing their lucky pair of jocks or a fan sitting in the same spot on the couch every game, superstition is just a part of sport and it's totally different to your example.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/c07450fcb7516724308673ef106d36c6

The same delay on free-to-air television will also apply for the first time to WA fans with Perth-based AFL teams West Coast and Fremantle.

The change is part of the new AFL television deal in which Foxtel gained more games in the Australian record $2.508 billion deal with Seven.

Another reason to Hate foxtel. Footy is slowly turning from the sport of the people to the sport of corporations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back