Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Um, you couldn’t be further from reality.

College football is massive and dwarfs AFL on such a scale of magnitude.

Alabama has a 100,000+ seat stadium that sells out for every game. And it’s not even the biggest stadium.

It’s not just college kids. It’s mega rich boosters, past students, parents, etc.

View attachment 1847883

****en hell mate, I'm talking about it being more localised than the West Coast Eagles which fans range for the whole of the biggest (area) state in the country, which I'm certain is bigger than any US state.

You're not always the smartest person in the room.

Tedious.

Yeh nah. You've never live in the USA have you!! College football is bigger than the NFL on a multitude of metrics. The big colleges have stadiums with 100k+

I've been to this.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Again, I'm talking about a localised area, not the size of the crowd or how popular it is.

Again, I'm talking about a localised area, not the size of the crowd or how popular it is.
*en hell mate, I'm talking about it being more localised than the West Coast Eagles which fans range for the whole of the biggest (area) state in the country, which I'm certain is bigger than any US state.

You're not always the smartest person in the room.

Tedious.
I’m not trying to be the smartest in the room. I’m trying to tell you how college football “works” for fans.

People literally drive and fly from all over the country to get back and football games at the college they graduated from, on weekends.

It’s not like everyone attending the game is from the local city or town.

The States are far more open about moving to attend college. Colleges recruit kids from all over country. Their fans live all over the country. They travel.

I’m not trying to be the smartest in the room. I’m trying to tell you how college football “works” for fans.

People literally drive and fly from all over the country to get back and football games at the college they graduated from, on weekends.

The States are far more open about moving to attend college. Colleges recruit kids from all over country. Their fans live all over the country. They travel.

No shit.

Thanks for not only mansplaining how college works in the US, but how college sports fans also work. You're a treasure.

I'll do you the courtesy of going through my point with you:

1: I know you think everyone in WA is a brain-dead hick, but I am fully aware of how small potatoes the AFL and the West Coast Eagles are in the world of sport. I am aware of how huge college sports are in the US and how it dwarfs the AFL in terms of crowds, funds and every other statistic. I am also aware how going to college in another state is basically standard practise.

2: My point was, if you compared the attendees at an Eagles games vs a college football game (both home), it would be fair to say the attendees at the college game would have a higher proportion of people coming from one area, ie: students. And coordinating these students to attend in a certain attire would be far easier than someone driving down from Geraldton and another person driving up from Pemberton to watch the Eagles play.

3: The point is ****en moot as the footage is of an NFL game anyway. The problem with the internet is there's always someone who wants to give advice or be condescending to others to make themselves feel smarter or just plain are a bit spectrumy. Regardless, the basis for my comments would be how great it'd be for an Eagles match to be coordinated with the same thing and the issues they may have with our aging supporter base. I'm sure it wouldn't be as hard with crowds at the Lions when its a big deal when they pull in 30k for a final.

The kids aren’t from Melbourne is what you are saying…..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that doesn't seem right, especially when you consider the players aren't even professional.

Edit: Never mind, average cost is $175 USD, costing up to $640 USD, depending on the game/matchup...

Playoff tickets cost an average of $3k.

That's for non-students though. Students pay a fraction of that (like $10-30) and make up nearly half the crowd. The tickets are still like half the cost of the average NFL game.

So nowhere close to $50m at the gate.

Yeh nah. You've never live in the USA have you!! College football is bigger than the NFL on a multitude of metrics. The big colleges have stadiums with 100k+

I've been to this.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like what? Maybe crowd sizes? I know college football is massive, but the NFL absolutely dwarfs it in terms of revenue, viewership etc.

Are there semi-pro leagues below the NFL, or does it just go from college straight to the NFL and you got nowhere to play inbetween?

Captain Aspergers in 3...2...1...

Are there semi-pro leagues below the NFL, or does it just go from college straight to the NFL and you got nowhere to play inbetween?
One of the biggest drawbacks with gridiron is how many players and how much equipment are required to field a team. Most people never play past high school as they don't really have amateur/social clubs like we do with footy and other field sports.

I think there are a few semi pro leagues you can get to if you don't make NFL (Canada has a league).

Never a truer word written.

Crowds are huge. And because they are university/college based the fans grow with the team and remain loyal. They know the team isn't going to move anywhere on the whim of an owner or for more dollars.

The biggest problem is the corruption within the system. You think the AFL is bad. In college football you have standard gates that run in the 10s of millions and playoff gates that blow $100mill out of the water. Then there are broadcast rights etc.
And the team budgets are mammoth. Yes the gridiron program subsidies the college and other sports teams but at the end of the day a big team has an income that runs into hundreds of millions of dollars, all while the players are supposedly amateur.

Thought for a moment Poon's post was going to say "I'm not trying to be the smartest in the room. I'm trying to be the smartest on the internet."

Would've been

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

That’s what he said his tickets cost. Idk if they have memberships or season passes ect. Apart from whether it’s $50 mill or not the main part was that it felt like major event not just a home and away game.

Apparently the game was between two colleges from the same state but the game was played in a neutral town/city and people all transited in for the game. Just said it was crazy something he hadn’t experienced here in Australia.
Guessing it was the Red River Rivalry game between Texas and Oklahoma, always played in Dallas? Jealous if it was, that game is nuts every year.

Guessing it was the Red River Rivalry game between Texas and Oklahoma, always played in Dallas? Jealous if it was, that game is nuts every year.
Yeah that’s the one just texted him he said it was played at the Dallas Cotton bowl. Texas Longhorns vs the Oakahoma Sooners. Like I said before he’s never experienced anything like that in Australia and he’s nearly 50 and loves his sport, been to most big sporting events over here.

The US is an amazing sporting nation, and weirdly similar to Australia.

They play mostly indigenous sports that nobody else really plays but they are massive and they still dominate internationally at individual sports/Olympics etc.

I can't think of any other country like that.

It would be so over if they suddenly transitioned to soccer. Even Australia would dominate. Our national teams are comprised of like 5th string local athletes and we still generally qualify.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back