Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

SAM Wicks isn’t playing football for Sydney at any level this week after a dispute with a teammate boiled over.

Wicks had been accused of acting inappropriately with the former girlfriend of another Swans player.

A thorough club investigation found that those allegations were categorically false and that Wicks, nor his teammate, had done anything wrong.

So despite the allegations being false, Wicks is still punished? Strange story

Lions, Swans and Dees

Police Turkey GIF by South Park

I see in the Age today the ex Melbourne Dr says 1/3 of players at the club never took drugs, a 1/3 were occasional users and a 1/3 were regular users. That's Eagles in the noughties levels of drug abuse but the media are being very reserved. Someone should ask Mike Sheahan if the Dee's flag should have a * next to it.

I see in the Age today the ex Melbourne Dr says 1/3 of players at the club never took drugs, a 1/3 were occasional users and a 1/3 were regular users. That's Eagles in the noughties levels of drug abuse but the media are being very reserved. Someone should ask Mike Sheahan if the Dee's flag should have a * next to it.
We had 80% clean, 10% regular, 2% daily, 1 guy GOAT

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember when Dale Lewis claimed that up to 75% of AFL players would have taken illegal drugs during there career.

Andrew Demetriou came out swinging and we didn’t hear from Lewis for a long time.

This issue has been bubbling away and building for a long time and been hidden by vAFL house for decades. The thing is it’s not just a player issue but an industry issue.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the break down for majority of teams. Especially the younger ones

I can imagine the Gold Coast would have the highest of anywhere. They've had the same core group of players for about 6 years. Young cashed up blokes on the Gold Coast who wouldn't be recognised by 98 in every 100 people? That's a recipe for disaster.

Get around paywall:

Not a bad article to read. Cheers
Zeeshan Arain, the former Melbourne club doctor who ignited the latest drugs scandal to engulf the AFL, never intended to blow up the league’s illicit drugs policy or the use of “off-the-books” tests to stop players running foul of anti-doping rules
Arain says the national competition’s approach towards illicit drugs is one of the better things the AFL has done.
When Arain provided a statement to independent MP Andrew Wilkie to ventilate under parliamentary privilege, his target was a damaging culture he observed at the AFL club he served for eight years as chief medico and the impact this had on players under his care.
“I wasn’t attacking the illicit drugs policy,” Arain tells this masthead. “I wanted to expose cultural problems, not off-the-books testing.

I can imagine the Gold Coast would have the highest of anywhere. They've had the same core group of players for about 6 years. Young cashed up blokes on the Gold Coast who wouldn't be recognised by 98 in every 100 people? That's a recipe for disaster.
I can confirm one former high profile young player in their early years (top 5 pick) was on the gear multiple times each week in huge volumes. How he didn’t get into more trouble than he did is still one of life’s great mysteries.

I can confirm one former high profile young player in their early years (top 5 pick) was on the gear multiple times each week in huge volumes. How he didn’t get into more trouble than he did is still one of life’s great mysteries.

We've all heard of Harley Bennell mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ll find the use of party drugs would be quite common in a lot of sporting leagues around the world (mostly western countries). It’s a sociital thing as many young people tend to dabble with it in their late teens and throughout their twenties. I don’t think you’ll ever stop it unless you suspend or ban every player found to test positive. It only becomes a serious problem when it starts to seriously impact a players life and or if they are found positive on game day.

Seen a few local lads on it while going out. Saddest was one was a certain player that was here in Perth mid year due to injury or personal family issue and they were off their rocks at a festival

I don’t see a problem here.

In fact if there was an issue we’d be dealing with reports, which is a function to utilise.

If you’re not happy report it. Then we can deal with it.

FYI, in this case, the report will be rejected.

Cheers.

The Soft Mod Team

Soft as an ex-Freo mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen a few local lads on it while going out. Saddest was one was a certain player that was here in Perth mid year due to injury or personal family issue and they were off their rocks at a festival
Yeah, but after a move East he looks to be in a much better place mentally, and is now confidently kicking goals for his club.

Good on him, I say.

Is there a joke here I'm missing ?

My bad should read McLeod as in Andrew McLeod.
The drafting rights to which Fremantle traded to Adelaide in a swap for Chris Groom.

Groom played 7 games for Fremantle and kicked 18 goals.

McLeod played 340 games for Adelaide kicked 275 goals and was a dual AFL Premership player and dual Norm Smith Medalist for Adelaide.

My bad should read McLeod as in Andrew McLeod.
The drafting rights to which Fremantle traded to Adelaide in a swap for Chris Groom.

Groom played 7 games for Fremantle and kicked 18 goals.

McLeod played 340 games for Adelaide kicked 275 goals and was a dual AFL Premership player and dual Norm Smith Medalist for Adelaide.
No worries mate, I thought there was some joke I didn't know about. But yeah, Groom over McLeod was a howler. There was few others as well.

If Harry Barnett can develop into a Rowan Marshall type ruckman I’d be stoked

He’s a similar size

Also didn’t realise Marshall turns 29 this year. Older than I thought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back