Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the use of a slur, not name calling, that is the problem. If he called him a f**head or something that would constitute "name-calling", it'd be juvenile, but we'd all move on.

Also not about "sensitivity". The person he directed the homophobic slur to might not even be of that sexuality. They might not even be offended, or see the use of that slur as problematic. The issue is broader than the direct exchange between 2 players on the field. It has real world consequences.
Not disagreeing with what you said - as I said it SHOULD be punished - despite my choice of words, I don't equate it to f***head.

But to me 5 weeks is still grossly excessive.

The guy that should have copped the biggest punishment this year - the head coach - got a suspended 2 weeks (ie 0 weeks).

It's about the only option left that North would have to secure their identity long-term.

That said, the case for any AFL team to be based from NT is laughable.

It rests upon the Federal and NT Governments coming up with $1B for a stadium in a city of just 130k.

The annual total budget of the NT is less than $9.5B.

Brisbane has 18 times more population and the impetus of hosting the Olympics in 2032, yet cannot get state and Commonwealth to justify that kind of expenditure on a new sporting venue during the current inflationary period.

Good luck in finding a fraction of that in the Territory.

And that's before other deciding factors like the climate, splitting of home matches to Alice Springs and Cairns, and travel (they would end up travelling more than WA teams) are even considered.

NT license is just a ruse to circumvent discussion away whenever merger talk starts to gain traction.
Yep - North move to NT or go back to VFL. Your market share in the AFL is just too small.

That said, I don't think Darwin works population or season wise.

It's about the only option left that North would have to secure their identity long-term.

That said, the case for any AFL team to be based from NT is laughable.

It rests upon the Federal and NT Governments coming up with $1B for a stadium in a city of just 130k.

The annual total budget of the NT is less than $9.5B.

Brisbane has 18 times more population and the impetus of hosting the Olympics in 2032, yet cannot get state and Commonwealth to justify that kind of expenditure on a new sporting venue during the current inflationary period.

Good luck in finding a fraction of that in the Territory.

And that's before other deciding factors like the climate, splitting of home matches to Alice Springs and Cairns, and travel (they would end up travelling more than WA teams) are even considered.

NT license is just a ruse to circumvent discussion away whenever merger talk starts to gain traction.

So done deal then?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

People upset about not being allowed to use slurs anymore clearly lack creativity when it comes to sh*t talking, preferring just to stick to the easiest target.

Their personality is the pile of dust in the back of a cabinet full of herbs and spices.

Me too

Also: free kick Carlton
It's not so much the free kicks they get, it's the ones that don't get paid against them.

Blocking and holding from Carlton is obvious and totally unpoliced.

Curnow plowing into River back and chopping the arms and it's play on.

Front on contact through the middle by some Carlton and it's play on.

Melbourne player held without a ball is subsequently paid for deliberate because an illegal pressure act forced him to not take proper possession and kick.

It's not so much the free kicks they get, it's the ones that don't get paid against them.

Melbourne player held without a ball is subsequently paid for deliberate because an illegal pressure act forced him to not take proper possession and kick.
Yeah pretty weird. It’s always the fairytale teams

Great, we're going to get an angry Melboure off a 10 day break next week

BTW Petty is such a limited footballer, slow as a treacle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PS Don't wish for injuries but if Kysiah Pickett or Jack Viney get suspended i won't be upset...(no particular incident, they just both repeatedly chop us up)

Great, we're going to get an angry Melboure off a 10 day break next week

BTW Petty is such a limited footballer, slow as a treacle
Yeah he played like 1 good game as a forward and now they’ve just pigeonholed him in. Van Rooyen is also just not developing at all. KPF a massive problem for them again.

Yet anyone lays a finger on Curnow or McKay and it’s a free kick in front of goal every time.

But to me 5 weeks is still grossly excessive.
Not when you consider

- this is the third incident of this nature this season

- the AFL have said from the start this won’t be tolerated and punishments would be increased if the messages wasn’t getting through, which it clearly isn’t

- 99% of people would lose their job on the spot if they did it in their own work place.

8.10 to 7.5 after quarter time. Demons lost this game in the first quarter and probably caught the yips trying to catch up to the deficit leading to a poor conversion despite owning plenty of ball in the second half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back