Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ant.

Can you see a world where our club finally tells the coterie groups to suck it up or take a hike? their interference and dodoro seem like the two constants during two decades of turd salads
Not yet.

I thought at the time that making the finals was the worst thing we could have done.

Imagine a timeline where we didn’t, and finished somewhere around 12th.

It would have been seen as the first ruttten rebuild year, another year with a high draft pick, more time turning the list over and learning the game plan. This year would have been seen as more of the same, with no expectation to be making finals.

In some ways making the finals could have derailed an entire era for the club and ended trucks career before it had a chance to get going 🛻
I said the same at the time. I could see no benefit in a young side getting belted in an elim that wasn’t even played a big stadium for at least experiencing the atmosphere. Supporters become more disaffected due to yet another elim final loss and the media will unrealistically hold you to your recent past levels.

I said the same at the time. I could see no benefit in a young side getting belted in an elim that wasn’t even played a big stadium for at least experiencing the atmosphere. Supporters become more disaffected due to yet another elim final loss and the media will unrealistically hold you to your recent past levels.
I was on the fence at the time and still am.

I think there is value for a young team getting a taste to then go backwards. It teaches a valuable lesson about not sitting on your laurels or getting ahead of yourself and no matter where you finish in one season, you need to work in the off-season like you're a mile off it.

It's so annoying hearing so many media commentators mention how Essendon made the finals last year and now struggling but they completely miss just how young and inexperienced our team is and where in the rebuild we are.

Does anyone in the media ever check how many games Dons players have played?
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. And when it comes to the media, they simply are assholes.

Ant.

Can you see a world where our club finally tells the coterie groups to suck it up or take a hike? their interference and dodoro seem like the two constants during two decades of turd salads
An issue with the consistent underperformance over the last 20 years is that there's no one with the legitimacy to tell a bunch of cashed up and opinionated coterie members to gtfo

Common sense, something that the AFL lacks in, says that it never should have been a 50m penalty.
It is good that some common sense is being applied but they still managed to blame the players for exploiting the rule, thereby necessitating the further change. Guelfi's opponent wasnt trying to do that. The guy that ran off the interchange bench at the SCG wasn't trying to exploit anything and the other one last weekend when I think a Swans player was done for running what looked at least 15 metres away wasn't exploiting anything either. Those were over-umpiring a stupid rule to start with.

The other stupid part of it is when the guy with the ball feigns to handpass or move to catch the guy on the mark out eg what happened to Hind on Anzac Day. That stuff may not have happened lately that I have seen (or not seen outrage about such an incident) but that is more exploitation of the rule than stuff like the Guelfi incident.

It's pretty easy to umpire if the rule is if you interfere with play within 10 m, it's a 50m.
But that would mean more grey areas which the AFL rules committee doesn't like doing.

The rules committee loves grey areas, that's all their rules are, which is the problem.

Everything is up for interpretation. What's the players intention.

Reckon the change might cause more problems. In it's current state, it was pretty simple - if you're not near your opponent, get the ** out straight away. The things to judge were fairly simple, the size of the protected area, whether the player was close to the other player. Simple enough stuff. In the Guelfi case, and another one in a GWS/Carlton game earlier, we have the situation where one player convincingly beats his opponent and his opponent makes it even worse for themselves by not getting out of the protected area (really the problem in the Guelfi one is the definition of the protected area where you're pressed up against the boundary line, he needed to take a left turn into the boundary line which is even more unnatural). Now the change is: get the ** out...almost straight away. Basically adding something the umpire will need to adjudicate on now (beyond "is player X within a couple of meters of player Y"), so we know what will happen there....

If there was one rule change to make based off the last two weeks, it should have been moving into the 21st century in regards to getting clearly injured players off the ground, but of course.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how Carlton fans think that they're the experts now that they're having one good year after 20+ years of shitfulness.

The debutant for Dogs having a good game. I think his name is Nintendo or something.

HOLY ******* s**t!

As soon as I saw his name for the first time a few years ago, I thought "Bedendo sounds like a 4 year old trying to pronounce 'Nintendo.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back