Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horne-Francis is going to end up being more trouble than he’s worth for Norf.

They’d be wise to try and get him back to Adelaide as soon as possible
I caught about an hour of yesterdays game and he looks toxic. Maybe if/when he buys into the club (North) it may change but right now, appears his head has already been turned and will be back in Adelaide by Xmas full time.

This JHF situation isn’t great…

Norf should trade him this off-season to minimise the damage.

Thought this was fascinating:

Interviewed a bunch of people at a bunch of different clubs from high performance to coaches, AFLCA, etc etc.

The crux of it is that the soft cap went from 9.7m to 6.5m. And with that came a lot of cost cutting. Some jobs were lost, others took pay cuts.

Salaries now vary up to 100k for a senior strength and conditioning person at two different clubs. Some clubs don't have full time opposition analysts and put the money into welfare and player development instead, depending on whether they have a young list or a more mature one. Some clubs are going into the trade period and the draft with very little information because they can't afford recruiters, the money has gone elsewhere.

So good staff are moving around from one club to another to get a better deal (yay equalisation), but they're also leaving AFL altogether to make their money in other sports, because apparently the AFL is often unable to offer even a competitive salary, let alone one you couldn't refuse.

Then the ones who are left are doing a lot more work as well, picking up dual roles at the club in the AFL and AFLW programs (which is a lot of extra work when the seasons overlap as they are atm). There is a tiny bit more money in the cap for an AFLW club - it's like 50k though, according to the article (I wonder if that's a typo?)

One example of an assistant coach is they earn as much in 2021 as they did in 2007. :eekv1:

AFLCA Chief Executive, Alistair Nicholson, suggesting the senior coach should be paid half outside the soft-cap so that experienced coaches don't leave the industry because we can't afford to pay them:
“With football back to where it was pre-Covid, the significantly reduced level of the soft cap means that football departments are having to choose what they can sacrifice and what they need to prioritise to be competitive,”

“This greatly impacts a coaching group’s ability to deliver to the level expected of players and other key stakeholders in clubs.”

Nicholson has given tentative backing to the idea that at least part of the senior coach’s salary should fall outside the cap, meaning clubs aren’t disadvantaged for having a marquee coach like Clarkson.

“It is something that should be looked at with some urgency as it frees up funds to keep building back football department resourcing following the emergency $63m soft cap cut in 2020. It will help ensure we keep successful senior coaches whose experience is vital to a successful football program in the game,”

Collingwood President Jeff Browne:
“That’s a nonsensical notion of making the senior coach’s salary only count for 50 per cent. What’s the justification for that? I think it should go back to the pre-Covid level,” Browne says.

While Browne accepts why the AFL needed to act as it did at the start of the pandemic, he is urging the league to continue its recent trend of trying to return things to as they were in 2019.

“I think it’s just untenable to keep the cap at what it is,” Browne adds.

“Because one of the things that our club did to keep under the new cap was, we had to not only let people go, but the people who have stayed have taken a pay cut.

“What’s happened, not with our club, but with other clubs, they’ve lost really good people to other sports, who go and do strength and conditioning. We’re going to lose good people to other sports unless we can pay a competitive salary. And at the moment, we cannot pay a competitive salary. I’m not talking about paying grossly overs.”

“Clubs are going to go to the draft with the worst intelligence they’ve ever had, this year, because they can’t employ recruiters.”

Where AFLW fits in the soft-cap:
There is considerable overlap between men’s and women’s football departments too, with several clubs employing people in dual roles to create efficiencies. The end result tends to be overworked staff.

One club high performance figure, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that during the period of AFL and AFLW season crossover staffers could end up working 16-hour days.

AFLW clubs will be permitted an extra $50,000 to sit outside of their soft cap in the upcoming season to fund allied health services for players, but there is still a sense from staffers they are being short-changed.

Gillon McLachlan's final say:
In his final few months as AFL chief executive, Gillon McLachlan has his plate full. While a one-year extension of the women’s collective bargaining agreement was secured earlier in May, a new TV rights deal, longer men’s and women’s CBAs, an answer on the Tasmanian AFL bid and dealing with the game’s umpiring crisis are all on the agenda.

As is human nature, everyone in footy wants their slice of the pie. Self-interest is rife. McLachlan has a lot of mouths to feed. But upon confirming the new AFLW deal, he stressed that everyone would end up winning.

“It doesn’t diminish what our male players are doing, our soft cap for coaches, where we need to invest in community football, infrastructure, further growth,” McLachlan says.

“Those deals are all ahead of us. And we will invest across all sectors of our industry … we will invest more money across the board.”

Melbourne second string guys getting exposed when the main machine is not running at %100.

Why on earth is Mitch Brown playing? People keep harping on our midfield not delivering to our forwards but Mitch is now playing to the best midfield in the league and has done sweet fa for a few weeks in a row. He's just not an AFL forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

coll and carl flying, you can stick your hawfforn rivalry. These two have always been the ones. Hawfforn were dealt with in 84/85. Ess, carl, coll make this city tick.
Love both up and about.
Wish we were with them and playing both twice a year.

Some good points raised on OTC around leadership from senior players like pendles, crisp, sidey, titch, jaeger, sicily at the pies and hawks, and the effect on young kids.

How much of that is an issue for us i wonder. Most our players hit 29 and start to wane, so arent out there to inspire

I would rub Smith out for the rest of the year for one reason: pretending to take responsibility for a month of debauchery while trying to avail himself of the mental health defece.

I'd then add another 10 weeks for being a millennial ***** who cant do anything without a photo record.

Again, why must we always forget everything we know about life every time common sense and/or decency are challenged?

You know what happens during cocaine and mdma fuelled binges? You don't eat. At the end of it there can be a horrible come down.

As much as he is 'struggling' he has been getting 40 possessions a week.

He is liar and I would actually go as far as suggesting this is a Kardashian style leak to build his brand because the 13 year old girls he is used to sell sex to like a sensitive 'bad boy'.

Taking responsibility sounds something like:

'I mad bad decisions. I faced temptation and failed. I will not seek to explain my actions any further because there is no other explanation. I seek the full sanction under the AFL's illicit drugs policy for a first offence."

Everything else is bullshit. These are party drugs.

We have acknowledged a mental health crisis for 20 years. It's been a huge focus for about 12 and there is nothing to show for it.

That the public discourse on this topic is polluted every few months with some politician, celebrity or sports star hiding behind the defence is almost certainly tied in with the reality we're getting no where.

It robs the discussion of standards psychology seems to think can be compartmentalised from mental health.

Last edited:
I would rub Smith out for the rest of the year for one reason: pretending to take responsibility for a month of debauchery while trying to avail himself of the mental health defece.

I'd then add another 10 weeks for being a millennial ***** who cant do anything without a photo record.

Again, why must we always forget everything we know about life every time common sense and/or decency are challenged?

You know what happens during cocaine and mdma fuelled binges? You don't eat. At the end of it there can be a horrible come down.

As much as he is 'struggling' he has been getting 40 possessions a week.

He is liar and I would actually go as far as suggesting this is a Kardashian style leak to build his brand because the 13 year old girls he is used to sell sex to like a sensitive 'bad boy'.

You know what taking responsibility sounds like?

'I mad bad decisions. I faced temptation and failed. I will not seek to explain my actions any further because there is no other explanation. I seek the full sanction under the AFL's illicit drugs policy for a first offence."

Everything else is bullshit. These are party drugs.

We have acknowledged a mental health crisis for 20 years. It's been a huge focus for about 12 and there is nothing to show for it.

That the public discourse on this topic is polluted every few months with some politician, celebrity of sports star hiding behind the defence is almost certainly tied in with the reality we're getting no where.

It robs the discussion of standards psychology seems to think can be compartmentalised from mental health.
is this what happens when you force a bot to read 10,000 boomer social media comments and then write one of it's own?

coll and carl flying, you can stick your hawfforn rivalry. These two have always been the ones. Hawfforn were dealt with in 84/85. Ess, carl, coll make this city tick.
I honestly don't care about the Essendon-Collingwood rivalry other than the one game a year. It's not much of a rivalry compared to Carlton and Hawthorn, especially now that Mitchell coaches them.

I don't mind seeing Collingwood do well as they are far less insufferable than the other two.

I honestly don't care about the Essendon-Collingwood rivalry other than the one game a year. It's not much of a rivalry compared to Carlton and Hawthorn, especially now that Mitchell coaches them.

I don't mind seeing Collingwood do well as they are far less insufferable than the other two.
84/85 dealt with. 1990,where we stopped an industry, not dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back