Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

actually love sliced bread , with lots of butter and then some ham and some cheese and tomato

But no i dont beleive in any conspiracies.

No Aliens coming to visit us. Elvis is Dead !
Obviously haven't read the book the Boys Club. No conspiricies!!!! Yeah right.

The only way that there can be change and a fairer competition , is by less VFL clubs.
Clubs like the Giants, Suns and Devils, will always be owned by the AFL.
The only way to even things out is to weed out the clubs that still require money and other assistance from the AFL.
I think some one posted on the site the VFL clubs that though bragging about being financila, are still drawing far more than clubs like Fremantle.
Less VFL clubs is the answer.
Exactly, almost every problem with the comp could be made better by reducing the number of Vic teams (or markedly increasing the number of nonVic teams but the former seems preferable).
In the meantime whilst waiting for hell to freeze, they could make the fixture even, which is why it's so damn frustrating that it isn't

I’m all for more non vic teams. We have to travel every other week anyway - what difference does it make really whether that’s to Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland etc. as we travel the most regardless in terms of both distance and quantity.

If it stuffs it up more for the traditional vic clubs who then have to travel an additional week of the season, then I’m all for it. Every extra non Vic team levels the playing field just that little bit more.

1 extra home game to make up for gather round as a freaking minimum.

Merger north Melbourne with Perth. The nm Perth Roos. There is already a lot of blue and white bellends in wa. We have a huge population of afl supporters compared to anywhere else.

Plus tassie.

That will make 9 vic teams and 10 non-vic teams.
14 home games, 10 travels.
Every other year 15 home games and 9 travels.

North Melbourne here will Also mean every year we will have 2 games of footy on a weekend 12 times a year.
If I was building the stadium I would have forced the afl for extra games to begin with.
Considering our memberships and tv sponsorship has helped afl buy docklands, and fund karara, gws stadium and will be helping to sponsor the Hobart oval.

Exactly, almost every problem with the comp could be made better by reducing the number of Vic teams (or markedly increasing the number of nonVic teams but the former seems preferable).
In the meantime whilst waiting for hell to freeze, they could make the fixture even, which is why it's so damn frustrating that it isn't
It is not a case of getting more clubs from outside of Victoria, because they will be owned and run by the AFL.As I said, Giants, Suns and soon to be Devils, are all AFL franchises.Count them in as VFL clubs. The more franchise clubs, the stronger the hold by the VFL clubs and the AFL.

North Melbourne need to leave Victoria.

If I was king for a day st kilda and bulldogs would be helping prop the suns and the new tassie team as well.
North Melbourne, The Road Kill Roos, need to fold. They will never ever be any good.
The mere thought of bringing them to take over perth is ludicrous mind boggling .
Extra clubs from out side Victoria will have their allegiance withthe AFL.
Only solution is removing at least four VFL clubs.Only real solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously haven't read the book the Boys Club. No conspiricies!!!! Yeah right.
45306332-1.jpg
Klasko & Fitch is a massive law firm where the best of the best work, so Alex Vogel is thrilled to be hired there. When she learns the most powerful and lucrative group in the firm is Mergers & Acquisitions, she signs up. She’s energized, not intimidated, because Alex always likes to win. The Boys’ Club is a high-octane debut novel about this first-year associate’s determination to run with the big dogs and win. And what happens when she realizes that even in 2015 the rules of the game are still different for women.

Alex quickly falls into a groove with the men in the M&A group. She’s one of only two women chosen to do deals with them and battles with several other associates to be one of the two people chosen to permanently join the team. She’s given her own nickname, Skippy—because she’s so preppy and proper, and proves she can hold her own by working 36 hours straight, sleeping on a couch, and matching the guys shot for shot after work. She’s very good at her job, but as the months pass and the rewards pile up, she starts hearing rumors about herself and her success. That plus dealing with a predator who’s the firm’s biggest client, take some of the shine off wanting to join the boys’ club.

Sometimes book comparisons makes me nuts (I almost won’t read thrillers compared to Gone Girl because it’s been done to death). The Boys’ Club is referenced as being a “legal Sweetbitter”. Hhhmmm…so long hours at work, hard partying, fraying relationships? Yes. Yes. And yes. A spot-on comparison. Except that one of the few differences between the two novels is that these baby lawyers make obscene amounts of money. Which they spend on booze, high-end restaurant food, and drugs. Apparently, those are the only things young lawyers like when they’re not working 80+ hours a week.

Author Erica Katz syncs her writing in The Boys’ Club to match the imagined atmosphere at any kind of institution that deals with the 1%. Whether it’s the offices, the clothes, or the vacation homes, every detail in the novel screams wealth. She also tips her hand by beginning the book with a deposition in which Alex is a witness for the prosecution. These transcripts appear in-between chapters and add to the mounting questions about what’s going on. They press the point: how long can Alex overlook everything that is wrong at Klasko in order to keep enjoying the outrageous perks like five figure bonuses for new hires and preferential treatment at hotels and restaurants? Whether it’s subtle harassment or difficult situations that pit one female employee against another, Katz highlights the myriad of ways sexism permeates the workplace.

I shoved the feeling that I was somehow betraying my sex out of my mind. It was all too easily replaced by the sweetness of inclusion.

None of this is to say, The Boys’ Club reads like a true-life litany of what women go through in testosterone saturated companies. The novel is propulsive with scenes that bring NYC and the early days of a professional career to life. I read, remembered, and then marveled at my own memories of business dinners, followed by bars with friends, followed by work at 7am. How the hell did we survive that?!

A final intriguing aspect of this book: the author is Erica Katz, but that’s a pseudonym. Her bio says she worked at one major law firm in NYC and now works at another. Very interesting…certainly lends credibility to some of the more unsavory occurrences and practices in the novel. All in all, despite a plot that wobbles a bit towards the end, I was hooked on The Boys’ Club. Addictive summer reading.

Last edited:
View attachment 1989097
Klasko & Fitch is a massive law firm where the best of the best work, so Alex Vogel is thrilled to be hired there. When she learns the most powerful and lucrative group in the firm is Mergers & Acquisitions, she signs up. She’s energized, not intimidated, because Alex always likes to win. The Boys’ Club is a high-octane debut novel about this first-year associate’s determination to run with the big dogs and win. And what happens when she realizes that even in 2015 the rules of the game are still different for women.

Alex quickly falls into a groove with the men in the M&A group. She’s one of only two women chosen to do deals with them and battles with several other associates to be one of the two people chosen to permanently join the team. She’s given her own nickname, Skippy—because she’s so preppy and proper, and proves she can hold her own by working 36 hours straight, sleeping on a couch, and matching the guys shot for shot after work. She’s very good at her job, but as the months pass and the rewards pile up, she starts hearing rumors about herself and her success. That plus dealing with a predator who’s the firm’s biggest client, take some of the shine off wanting to join the boys’ club.

Sometimes book comparisons makes me nuts (I almost won’t read thrillers compared to Gone Girl because it’s been done to death). The Boys’ Club is referenced as being a “legal Sweetbitter”. Hhhmmm…so long hours at work, hard partying, fraying relationships? Yes. Yes. And yes. A spot-on comparison. Except that one of the few differences between the two novels is that these baby lawyers make obscene amounts of money. Which they spend on booze, high-end restaurant food, and drugs. Apparently, those are the only things young lawyers like when they’re not working 80+ hours a week.

Author Erica Katz syncs her writing in The Boys’ Club to match the imagined atmosphere at any kind of institution that deals with the 1%. Whether it’s the offices, the clothes, or the vacation homes, every detail in the novel screams wealth. She also tips her hand by beginning the book with a deposition in which Alex is a witness for the prosecution. These transcripts appear in-between chapters and add to the mounting questions about what’s going on. They press the point: how long can Alex overlook everything that is wrong at Klasko in order to keep enjoying the outrageous perks like five figure bonuses for new hires and preferential treatment at hotels and restaurants? Whether it’s subtle harassment or difficult situations that pit one female employee against another, Katz highlights the myriad of ways sexism permeates the workplace.

I shoved the feeling that I was somehow betraying my sex out of my mind. It was all too easily replaced by the sweetness of inclusion.

None of this is to say, The Boys’ Club reads like a true-life litany of what women go through in testosterone saturated companies. The novel is propulsive with scenes that bring NYC and the early days of a professional career to life. I read, remembered, and then marveled at my own memories of business dinners, followed by bars with friends, followed by work at 7am. How the hell did we survive that?!

A final intriguing aspect of this book: the author is Erica Katz, but that’s a pseudonym. Her bio says she worked at one major law firm in NYC and now works at another. Very interesting…certainly lends credibility to some of the more unsavory occurrences and practices in the novel. All in all, despite a plot that wobbles a bit towards the end, I was hooked on The Boys’ Club. Addictive summer reading.
Nah, the book about the AFL written by Michael Warner. A great read about the AFL
and the goings on behind closed doors.
The AFL, a bit like the Mafia and the Catholic church, with out the bodies. And I am not even sure there are no bodies. 1715678961409.png

Covid finally forced the AFL to see you could hold hubs and it worked.
Gather round only goes part of the way to what could help partially equalise the travel.

Twice per season Two teams travel to Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and play both sides. Then the home sides get a run of staying at home, especially if they play a derby also then it’s three weeks at home twice per season.

I don’t know if the maths works out but something like that . Nothing stopping interstate teams travelling and doing the same thing in Melbourne.

Covid finally forced the AFL to see you could hold hubs and it worked.
Gather round only goes part of the way to what could help partially equalise the travel.

Twice per season Two teams travel to Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and play both sides. Then the home sides get a run of staying at home, especially if they play a derby also then it’s three weeks at home twice per season.

I don’t know if the maths works out but something like that . Nothing stopping interstate teams travelling and doing the same thing in Melbourne.
Gee, that is such a reasonable answewr. I wonder why the AFL has not thought about that. But.. maybe... Nah they wouldn't have.

Gee, that is such a reasonable answewr. I wonder why the AFL has not thought about that. But.. maybe... Nah they wouldn't have.
Wouldn't that give an advantage to the interstate side though? as much as it kicks the arse of WA teams, there's also the opposite positive of having a team that never travels having to come over.

Was a shithouse phrase but the 'House of Pain' had some degree of merit.

real test for suns today. if they can win up there in NT regularly . perhaps we send them there permanently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back