Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

On the newest SEN video on YouTube Hodge is advocating for Norf to get another priority pick.

* that right off.

North are currently making no progress towards becoming competitive despite some pretty decent concessions from the AFL. And so much for the super coach who has made no difference to their fortunes.

It's a long road ahead for them.

North are currently making no progress towards becoming competitive despite some pretty decent concessions from the AFL. And so much for the super coach who has made no difference to their fortunes.

I reckon they need about 3 more years under Clarkson
He’s barely been there for 1 and hasn’t had much say in the drafting/ trading
Not to mention had a lot of side distractions

He’s no dummy and could turn it around with the good base he has to work with
If not it will be worth it for a few more years of laughs .
Not like we haven’t copped our fair share of s**t .

Last edited:

The problem with North is they have a good bunch of young smalls but neglected KP players. They lost McKay, bought in Logue who is undersized KP and they have Larkey. Their back line sucks balls and they are using kids like Sheezel and Mckercher there as they have no one else. Those 2 boys should be wing and in the guts. There recruiting has been s**t, they should of had at least McDonald alongside Larkey but drafted a vanilla mid instead.

The problem with North is they have a good bunch of young smalls but neglected KP players. They lost McKay, bought in Logue who is undersized KP and they have Larkey. Their back line sucks balls and they are using kids like Sheezel and Mckercher there as they have no one else. Those 2 boys should be wing and in the guts. There recruiting has been s**t, they should of had at least McDonald alongside Larkey but drafted a vanilla mid instead.
Phillips over McDonald is one of the more bizarre drafting decisions I've ever seen. McDonald should've gone no lower than pick two in that draft and that was my opinion at the time (I haven't bothered looking at it with hindsight). I think Thilthorpe went ahead of McDonald simply because it was Adelaide and he's a South Australian but he's clearly a worse footballer than McDonald and always has been.

Tassie have outright rejected a washed out second rate failing team from Victoria being part of their set up.
If the AFL don't remove their licence then merge them with another struggling unfinancial Melbourne club.
Perth football club apply for a license
North Melbourne merge with Perth
The Perth Kangaroos
Promise the roos 90% of their away games in Melbourne for the first 5 years

Why would this work ?
Perth population is more than big enough.
There are a lot of North Melbourne supporters in wa already.
A lot of diehard Perth supporters will jump on board.
North Melbourne can keep their Melbourne supporters.
Meaning you don't have to build your supporter base up from 0 like Gold Coast Suns.

Pros
Twice a year we have 2 games of footy in Perth.
Freo gets to stay home an extra week.
18 teams is more than enough.
Victoria will now have 9 teams, the rest of Australia has 9 teams. For voting at the moment anything Victorian automatically gets stamped for approval.
Financially good for WA.
For the Afl it's one less basket case to worry about.
They wouldn't steal too many Freo supporters.
Eagles will lose a few which they can afford to anyway.
The West Australian would have to back off from their West Coast circle jerking, Freo bashing.
The so called perth fish bowl would be less so.

Perth football club apply for a license
North Melbourne merge with Perth
The Perth Kangaroos
Promise the roos 90% of their away games in Melbourne for the first 5 years

Why would this work ?
Perth population is more than big enough.
There are a lot of North Melbourne supporters in wa already.
A lot of diehard Perth supporters will jump on board.
North Melbourne can keep their Melbourne supporters.
Meaning you don't have to build your supporter base up from 0 like Gold Coast Suns.

Pros
Twice a year we have 2 games of footy in Perth.
Freo gets to stay home an extra week.
18 teams is more than enough.
Victoria will now have 9 teams, the rest of Australia has 9 teams. For voting at the moment anything Victorian automatically gets stamped for approval.
Financially good for WA.
For the Afl it's one less basket case to worry about.
They wouldn't steal too many Freo supporters.
Eagles will lose a few which they can afford to anyway.
The West Australian would have to back off from their West Coast circle jerking, Freo bashing.
The so called perth fish bowl would be less so.
Well put together, only problem is, when the Road Kill Roos can not gather enough members in their home state of Victoria, how can you expect them to garner enough here in WA?
WA football, like ALL of Australia know that there are too many clubs in Victoria, why would anyone step away from the AFL club they support now to follow a rabble of a club.
It is a club that has been handed enough money and players now.They were only one of at least seven clubs that were technically insolvent when the Eagles and Bears joined the VFL back in 1987.Nothing has changed. They were a club that was viable when big money people backed them when cheque book footy was running rampant.
I can't agree. The sooner the AFL get their head out of their Rse, and remove the unfinancial clubs the better.Clubs like Nm are bleeding other clubss.

Perth and the Weavils "share" Lathlain. Where would the Perth Roos go?

West Coast should rename to Perth.
Fremantle remain Fremantle.
North Melbourne become North Perth and play out of the Coolbinia Reserve.

Or go even further north and become what a shady marsupial salesman with a stutter would say.

The Wanneroo Roos.

There's something there, you know. It's got a ring to it.

Merging North with a 3rd WA team doesn’t solve the 19 teams issue with Tasmania coming in! Either kill the Roos or make it a 20 team comp.
I know what the correct choice should be, but The Victorian Boys Club will do the opposite.
Eddie has it right. For the first time a mouth piece for Victorian football is calling it as it should be.

Hamish Brayshaw off the longest of long run-ups, and he does not miss.

F*CK YES !!

Finally someone with the balls to call it out
So well articulated and from the heart

Not some numpty on a footy forum either
Someone who knows the game and has skin in it

Very proud of him for having the guts to speak out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merging North with a 3rd WA team doesn’t solve the 19 teams issue with Tasmania coming in! Either kill the Roos or make it a 20 team comp.

I'm expecting Melbourne football clubs to be informed that the worst performing side in terms of memberships, financial strength and on field performance will be relegated to the VFL.

Keep an eye on North and St Kilda going really, really hard on bringing in players and selling memberships over the next couple of years.

I'm expecting Melbourne football clubs to be informed that the worst performing side in terms of memberships, financial strength and on field performance will be relegated to the VFL.

Keep an eye on North and St Kilda going really, really hard on bringing in players and selling memberships over the next couple of years.
In reagrds to Norths and the AFL removing them, you only had to listen to Brayshaw last night on C7 footy show.
Everyone wants a smaller number of clubs in Melbourne, as along as it is not theirs.
And he is right, he asked for names of Presidents and others from clubs to come forward and say so publicly. There is not one club that will say.. Get them out.
The AFL have set the number of teams in cement.
We all know what should happen .... but it never will.
I will never forgive the WAFL and Yellas for not standing with the SANFL and Crows in standing out another two years.
The two states held them at the begging stage.Could have taken out at least four clubs before they had to fold.

In reagrds to Norths and the AFL removing them, you only had to listen to Brayshaw last night on C7 footy show.
Everyone wants a smaller number of clubs in Melbourne, as along as it is not theirs.
And he is right, he asked for names of Presidents and others from clubs to come forward and say so publicly. There is not one club that will say.. Get them out.
The AFL have set the number of teams in cement.
We all know what should happen .... but it never will.
I will never forgive the WAFL and Yellas for not standing with the SANFL and Crows in standing out another two years.
The two states held them at the begging stage.Could have taken out at least four clubs before they had to fold.
Really the best solution was to relegate the weakest 3 or 4 melbourne clubs to the VFL, but give the fans a couple of new franchises to support at the top level so they didn't have to switch allegiance to an existing team in the AFL (which many would have refused to do). Maybe one out South Eastish and the other in the West.

It was a mistake to move Fitzroy they should have just relegated them to the VFL. In relocating them and merging they created a precedent that was impossible to reapply: The last 20 years or so the amount of money a team can realitically lose in any particular year is dwarfed by the size of the ALF allocation and if you lose money your allocation just goes up. So they can't argue a side should cease to exist because they lose money, as Souths and later Fitzroy did, none of them do. It all gets wiped off the balance sheet.

If they had punted them all to the VFL then at the very least they could all continue to dream one day they'll get back in like North Sydney Bears fans do. They'd have gone to the new teams games in the meantime. Now we're stuck with them until something happens to make breaking the deal between the Melbourne clubs not to rock the boat worth while: You watch if the the non Melbourne clubs win a big run of flags (which is on the cards with us, GC and GWS having very talented and young lists, and WC likely to be back in a big way when the eventually get it right (hopefully some time)) then the big Melbourne sides won't be able to knife the minnows fast enough.

Really the best solution was to relegate the weakest 3 or 4 melbourne clubs to the VFL, but give the fans a couple of new franchises to support at the top level so they didn't have to switch allegiance to an existing team in the AFL (which many would have refused to do). Maybe one out South Eastish and the other in the West.

It was a mistake to move Fitzroy they should have just relegated them to the VFL. In relocating them and merging they created a precedent that was impossible to reapply: The last 20 years or so the amount of money a team can realitically lose in any particular year is dwarfed by the size of the ALF allocation and if you lose money your allocation just goes up. So they can't argue a side should cease to exist because they lose money, as Souths and later Fitzroy did, none of them do. It all gets wiped off the balance sheet.

If they had punted them all to the VFL then at the very least they could all continue to dream one day they'll get back in like North Sydney Bears fans do. They'd have gone to the new teams games in the meantime. Now we're stuck with them until something happens to make breaking the deal between the Melbourne clubs not to rock the boat worth while: You watch if the the non Melbourne clubs win a big run of flags (which is on the cards with us, GC and GWS having very talented and young lists, and WC likely to be back in a big way when the eventually get it right (hopefully some time)) then the big Melbourne sides won't be able to knife the minnows fast enough.
Fitzroy was removed from the VFL. It was an after thought to send them to Brisbane.
I spoke to Ross Kelly one day at the Fremantle Derby, the real Derby, He asked me if I would have accepted a broken down club like them, take their colours and be called the Fremantle Roys or Roy Boys.
He had a point. Would never have accepted that happening.
It was reality they, the VFL wanted Fremantle to be the ones who took over Fitzroy. But they were stuck when none of the Fitzroy players said they would come to Fremantle.

Fitzroy was removed from the VFL. It was an after thought to send them to Brisbane.
I spoke to Ross Kelly one day at the Fremantle Derby, the real Derby, He asked me if I would have accepted a broken down club like them, take their colours and be called the Fremantle Roys or Roy Boys.
He had a point. Would never have accepted that happening.
It was reality they, the VFL wanted Fremantle to be the ones who took over Fitzroy. But they were stuck when none of the Fitzroy players said they would come to Fremantle.

They were able to pay their players more at Brisbane too for motivation reasons.

That whole Fitzroy players to Brisbane did nothing though. From memory Brisbane actually went backwards after the merger for a year or two. How many Fitzroy players were in their first premiership team? Pike? Johnson?

Edit: It was just Johnson, Pike came via North.

I know what the correct choice should be, but The Victorian Boys Club will do the opposite.
Eddie has it right. For the first time a mouth piece for Victorian football is calling it as it should be.

You guys are deluded. There is no chance north will be folded by the AFL or lose their licence in any way.

I know they were put under a lot of pressure to move to Gold Coast back in the late 2000s. It was actually Andy brayshaws dad who told me that when I was sitting beside him at a game one day but didn’t realise who he was until the last 10 mins! He was a board member at North when demetriou was putting them under a lot of pressure to move.. in hindsight it would have been good but then there would only have been 17 clubs in Melbourne for the last decade.
By the time tas come in, in 2028, there is every chance north are flying it by then and playing finals. No one will be talking about moving them by then.
They definitely won’t be moved anywhere before a Tassie team joins.
They will probably win a couple of games in a row later this year and everyone will stop talking about it.

You guys are deluded. There is no chance north will be folded by the AFL or lose their licence in any way.

I know they were put under a lot of pressure to move to Gold Coast back in the late 2000s. It was actually Andy brayshaws dad who told me that when I was sitting beside him at a game one day but didn’t realise who he was until the last 10 mins! He was a board member at North when demetriou was putting them under a lot of pressure to move.. in hindsight it would have been good but then there would only have been 17 clubs in Melbourne for the last decade.
By the time tas come in, in 2028, there is every chance north are flying it by then and playing finals. No one will be talking about moving them by then.
They definitely won’t be moved anywhere before a Tassie team joins.
They will probably win a couple of games in a row later this year and everyone will stop talking about it.

The lead up to Tasmania was spent over years just to now, and we have no noise yet of AFL20.

If another team is to join the competition the year after Tasmania, it needs to get underway. But it's not.

That whole Fitzroy players to Brisbane did nothing though. From memory Brisbane actually went backwards after the merger for a year or two. How many Fitzroy players were in their first premiership team? Pike? Johnson?

Edit: It was just Johnson, Pike came via North.
They were pretty talent free in their final year, it was amazing they won anything (sadly against us, but at least we gave their fans something)

They were pretty talent free in their final year, it was amazing they won anything (sadly against us, but at least we gave their fans something)
yes sadly another record in the hisory books that we didnt really want. the only team to lose to Fitzroy in their final year. at least we bet them at home for last game of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back