Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He only said **********

It's not a big deal like people are making it out to be

Debatable if it's even a gay slur, plenty of women out there sucking utensils
It's only ever used as a slur.

to be demeaning and degrading.

Irrespective of that, at the VERY LEAST it's bullying and inappropriate conduct from a coach to an opposition player.

It's only ever used as a slur.

to be demeaning and degrading.

Irrespective of that, at the VERY LEAST it's bullying and inappropriate conduct from a coach to an opposition player.
Demeaning and degrading? Sure, agreed but slur?

Got to disagree on that one

Happy with the fine but to claim it's a gay slur is rubbish imo, reality is a large portion of ********ers are not gay.

Aiden ODriscoll has retired effective immediately. The brother of Nathan and Emma
That’s sad. But the trend is players are definitely not stuffing around with concussion. Even more initiative for AFL to fund/introduce post career superannuation or pension.
That's terrible news.

This really is sad news for Aiden but there are so many more pathways for young players to stay involved in the game without playing than there once was.
Hopefully he can stay in Melbourne & work in the industry where there are far more opportunities, particularly in development where he can forge a career in the game he loves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer that sort of language to not be used around my children all the same, but I think it's a good moment to recognise that hate speech is difficult to identify when the intent is both required to be known and unknown.

We can probably move this discussion to the politics thread so we can get back to discussing the real football issues such as:
Did the AFL's insurance have a part to play in Aiden O'Driscoll's retirement?
Does Essendon barely leaving their home state in two and a half months at the end of the season constitute a league intervention attempting to get them to place high enough to win a final with a double chance?

There is definitely a layer of ambiguity with the supposed slur. Putting that aside, it’s still said with negative intent. Origins, meaning, interpretation are irrelevant when it’s said how it’s said to another person. If he was called a di**head, arsehole, bloody idiot etc. then that’s just smack talk. But what he said was a dumb thing to say and more than just a stupid insult.

There is definitely a layer of ambiguity with the supposed slur. Putting that aside, it’s still said with negative intent. Origins, meaning, interpretation are irrelevant when it’s said how it’s said to another person. If he was called a di**head, ********, bloody idiot etc. then that’s just smack talk. But what he said was a dumb thing to say and more than just a stupid insult.
It falls in line with dickhead ******** etc

I have already said that I'm fine with the fine, just this talk about it being a gay slur is ridiculous.

When the comment is directed towards a man it is a slur
It carries derogatory/slur connotations no matter who it is directed to. You are correct when directed towards someone identifying as male and possibly heterosexual, it carries the connotation that the person engages in closeted homosexual activity and the person is "outing them" as an insult. If the person really believed the person was homosexual it implies they should be ashamed of their homosexuality. When directed towards someone identifying as female it is implied the person is promiscuous and that being promiscuous is something to be ashamed of.

I have no idea what Clarko said but I think it is always best to go by what the gay community think. If they consider it to be a homophobic slur then it is.

It falls in line with dickhead a-hole etc

I have already said that I'm fine with the fine, just this talk about it being a gay slur is ridiculous.

Hard disagree. It most certainly does not fall in the same category

Calling someone something that alludes to them having the male appendage on their head is so many layers below calling someone something that aludes to them carrying out felatio on another man.

This isn’t wokeness either. It’s just common decency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back