Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think supporters of sides that win the flag always think their style is incredibly attractive. Sometimes it is - we definitely were in 2007, Sydney definitely were not in 2005. When a side that is loathed starts winning - Hawthorn and now Richmond - their game style will be dismissed as horrible. Sometimes true, sometimes not. The competition itself is so much more defensive now. Most teams all play roughly the same game.
Hawthorn's was like vintage Barcelona tiki-taka with the firepower up front to finish it off. Cute, sometimes boring but you had to admire it. A hell of a lot of talented players and a well coached defensive set up to cover for a general lack of absolutely elite defenders (minus the obvious couple of exceptions).

Richmond's has been a return to Auskick scramble ball footy. They've had an outstanding defence and an underrated midfield, playing what was a unique style when they built it, and everyone else has merely been poor imitators. They do get a similar begrudging respect for effectiveness. But no, that Hawthorn team were still miles above Richmond when it comes to skill and aesthetics.

Let's not even compare to Geelong 2007-2011 or even Essendon start of century, Brisbane 3peaters and so on. Much more I enjoyed about their sides, and personally I have no grudge at all against Richmond as a football club so it's not that.

Hawthorn's was like vintage Barcelona tiki-taka with the firepower up front to finish it off. Cute, sometimes boring but you had to admire it. A hell of a lot of talented players and a well coached defensive set up to cover for a general lack of absolutely elite defenders (minus the obvious couple of exceptions).

Richmond's has been a return to Auskick scramble ball footy. They've had an outstanding defence and an underrated midfield, playing what was a unique style when they built it, and everyone else has merely been poor imitators. They do get a similar begrudging respect for effectiveness. But no, that Hawthorn team were still miles above Richmond when it comes to skill and aesthetics.

Let's not even compare to Geelong 2007-2011 or even Essendon start of century, Brisbane 3peaters and so on. Much more I enjoyed about their sides, and personally I have no grudge at all against Richmond as a football club so it's not that.

Purely in terms of footballing aesthetics I'd rank the premiership teams since 2000 in about this order:

Geelong 2007-2011
Brisbane 2001-03
West Coast 05-06
Essendon 2000
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013-15
Port Adelaide 2004
West Coast 2018
Sydney 2012
Hawthorn 2008
Bulldogs 2016
Richmond 2017-19
Sydney 2005

Purely in terms of footballing aesthetics I'd rank the premiership teams since 2000 in about this order:

Geelong 2007-2011
Brisbane 2001-03
West Coast 05-06
Essendon 2000
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013-15
Port Adelaide 2004
West Coast 2018
Sydney 2012
Hawthorn 2008
Bulldogs 2016
Richmond 2017-19
Sydney 2005
Yeah I like that list. West Coast were fun to watch based around the mouth watering midfield silk alone. Imagine if they had a great forward line. Bulldogs style wasn't any more pleasing than Richmond but as a surprise packet going on a miracle run the flag itself was memorable. Collingwood were like Richmond but with skill and flair on top of the pressure game. Undoubtedly a superb team, which made toppling them in 2011 after their dominant season (until the last round) all the more satisfying. I think that Port side could have three-peated in the current competition.

The last outstanding team to beat another outstanding team in the grand final was Geelong in 2011. A whole heap of mediocrity and interstate teams choke-jobbing the MCG since then.
Unfortunately for us, 2013/2016/2019 we choked too, could've been, should've been

Unfortunately for us, 2013/2016/2019 we choked too, could've been, should've been
2016 we simply played terribly. 2013 and 2019 are the two that stung me. Played well for large sections of the match, coughed up a lead in the second half, then the frustrating injuries or suspensions to key players you can't help but think about,.

Those interstate GF sides were actually laughable in their GF performances. Geelong 2016 prelim would be an apt comparison, probably more so Geelong 2017 prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a coach ever been sacked midway through his first season as a coach?

Surely they can't.

I did think while watching the game that if I were Nicks, I'd consider throwing my hands up and resigning.

Why didn't they get an experienced coach?

2016 we simply played terribly. 2013 and 2019 are the two that stung me. Played well for large sections of the match, coughed up a lead in the second half, then the frustrating injuries or suspensions to key players you can't help but think about,.

Those interstate GF sides were actually laughable in their GF performances. Geelong 2016 prelim would be an apt comparison, probably more so Geelong 2017 prelim.
The 2013 QF still stings me too.

Geelong 2007-2011
Brisbane 2001-03
West Coast 05-06
Essendon 2000
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013-15
Port Adelaide 2004
West Coast 2018
Sydney 2012
Hawthorn 2008
Bulldogs 2016
Richmond 2017-19
Sydney 2005
Westcoast 05-06? Do you mean for the GF or the Season? If for the GF, they were ugly games. Competitive and fierce, but ugly.

No.17 is done for the Crows. That was a nasty tackle.

Add to the list of nauseating things about modern footy:

1. Past players who act morally outraged about any kind of physical tackle now. "IT MUST BE STAMPED OUT". Give me a break, half of you did much worse as players. Don't pretend to be so pure.
2. Commentators who join the pile on.

That tackle was interesting, because the player actually got his kick away. Presume you're meant to just let go?

The last outstanding team to beat another outstanding team in the grand final was Geelong in 2011. A whole heap of mediocrity and interstate teams choke-jobbing the MCG since then.

Can't agree with that.

Sydney in 2016 were a good team and effortlessly dispatched us. It was just the Dogs who to everyone's surprise were better. Adelaide in 2017 were a very good team who smashed both opponents in their lead up finals. They were the best team that season for 23 weeks, but unfortunately not for the last Saturday.

Hawthorn in 2012 were probably better than either too.

Can't agree with that.

Sydney in 2016 were a good team and effortlessly dispatched us. It was just the Dogs who to everyone's surprise were better. Adelaide in 2017 were a very good team who smashed both opponents in their lead up finals. They were the best team that season for 23 weeks, but unfortunately not for the last Saturday.

Hawthorn in 2012 were probably better than either too.
In my opinion, the Collingwood Team of 2010-2011 and the Saints team of 2009 were outstanding teams, not just great teams.

Geelong 2007-2011
Brisbane 2001-03
West Coast 05-06
Essendon 2000
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013-15
Port Adelaide 2004
West Coast 2018
Sydney 2012
Hawthorn 2008
Bulldogs 2016
Richmond 2017-19
Sydney 2005
I'd have the dogs 2nd or 3rd.
Thought they were good to watch in the finals. JJ was fantastic!
Only have Brissy ahead of them cause of Aker.
I'd have Port 4th. Dew, Burgoyne bros, Treadrea were good to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back