Non-Lions discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People will think I’m taking the piss here but serious question…

How is Mason Cox allowed to take ruck contests, particularly the centre bounce, when the umpire can’t see his eyes? Big O got penalised for looking at the Dogs ruckman late in the Semi Final last year… maybe he too should invest in some prescription goggles?

How is Mason Cox allowed to take ruck contests, particularly the centre bounce, when the umpire can’t see his eyes? Big O got penalised for looking at the Dogs ruckman late in the Semi Final last year… maybe he too should invest in some prescription goggles?
Oscar got penalised because he stopped the Dogs' ruckman running at the ball and not getting a touch on the ball himself, which apparently has been defined as a block. Got nothing to do with where the eyes are.

Oscar got penalised because he stopped the Dogs' ruckman running at the ball and not getting a touch on the ball himself, which apparently has been defined as a block. Got nothing to do with where the eyes are.
But the umpires are instructed that if the ruckman takes his eye off the ball and interferes with the other ruckman, then it's a free kick. Yet you are saying that even if both ruckman have their eyes on the ball, but one still blocks the other, it's still a free kick? I would dispute this.

But the umpires are instructed that if the ruckman takes his eye off the ball and interferes with the other ruckman, then it's a free kick. Yet you are saying that even if both ruckman have their eyes on the ball, but one still blocks the other, it's still a free kick? I would dispute this.
No, that's not what I said.

If one blocks the other and does not get a hand on the ball the umpires have been paying that as a free kick at least all last year. Basically if you initiate contact and don't get a hand on the ball, chances are there's a free kick against you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, that's not what I said.

If one blocks the other and does not get a hand on the ball the umpires have been paying that as a free kick at least all last year. Basically if you initiate contact and don't get a hand on the ball, chances are there's a free kick against you.
I've had to reread this a couple of times haha. Fair enough, point taken. But it has been fairly well established (in fact we have even heard umpires say as much at times during games) that free kicks are more likely to be paid against players for such interference who shift their gaze to their opponent rather than the ball. Both in ruck contests and marking contests.

I've had to reread this a couple of times haha. Fair enough, point taken. But it has been fairly well established (in fact we have even heard umpires say as much at times during games) that free kicks are more likely to be paid against players for such interference who shift their gaze to their opponent rather than the ball. Both in ruck contests and marking contests.
No doubt - if you signal your intent (e.g. looking at your opponent), the umpires are more likely to pay a free kick. But the signal of intent is not a prerequisite for the free kick.

True. How often do you hear the umps say you didn't have your eyes on the ball.

Doesn't make a huge amount of sense . It's not in any rulebook where your eyes have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back