Society & Culture Non PC sayings from yesteryear

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this really racist?

I don't get racism sometimes. I mean, saying someone munches food isn't really derogatory, is it? It doesn't mean you hate the race. If they said "Vegemite muncher" I couldn't care less.

Sometimes in the modern world, what is essentially good natured banter is deemed offensive and creates further division.
I didn't mention it because I get offended/outraged by it. Try going onto the cricket board and saying it and see how long you last.

Not from yesteryear but....

View attachment 105034 View attachment 105036

Chicos is Spanish for Kids but I've often wondered what a Yanks reaction would be to these lollies. They can say what they want about Redskins though. They're ******* awesome.
NFC-Logo-WAS.png

Is this really racist?

I don't get racism sometimes. I mean, saying someone munches food isn't really derogatory, is it? It doesn't mean you hate the race. If they said "Vegemite muncher" I couldn't care less.
You could use the same logic to argue that 'nigger' or 'negro' isn't offensive, because they just mean black and saying someone is black is perfectly socially acceptable.

The reality is that certain terms are offensive because of connotations they've acquired over time. 'Curry muncher' has over many decades been used primarily as a racial slur, to demean and dehumanise people of subcontinental origin. The literal meaning of the term is entirely irrelevant.

I don't see why people find this stuff so difficult to understand.

Don't seem to hear about people bowling "Chinamen" now either.

The very first Tintin adventure "Tintin In The Congo" is also... er, a product of it's time.
In all fairness, Herge was a certified racist. Good illustrator though.

If you watch old cricket replays some of the banners would result in some serious charges these days. 'Cop that Curry Munchers' was one I saw bob up last time I saw some old India v Australia highlights from 85-86.

Reminds me of Major Gowen in Fawlty Towers, "...throughout the morning she kept referring to the Indians as naggers. "No no no," I said, "the naggers are the West Indians. These people are wogs.""

Edit: Swear filter stooged me. Changed to naggers to get the point across.

Reminds me of Major Gowen in Fawlty Towers, "...throughout the morning she kept referring to the Indians as naggers. "No no no," I said, "the naggers are the West Indians. These people are wogs.""

Edit: Swear filter stooged me. Changed to naggers to get the point across.

Lol I had a good few people get their knickers in a knot when I used the term 'Paki' when talking about Pakistan over on the cricket board. I was flabberghasted to be honest. How is calling a Pakistani a Paki any different from calling an Australian an Aussie, apart from how some people choose to perceive it? And we call the English Poms and Pommies FFS.

Lol I had a good few people get their knickers in a knot when I used the term 'Paki' when talking about Pakistan over on the cricket board. I was flabberghasted to be honest. How is calling a Pakistani a Paki any different from calling an Australian an Aussie, apart from how some people choose to perceive it? And we call the English Poms and Pommies FFS.
The phrase Paki has come to have some pretty nasty connotations recently. While it's used in good faith here as a contraction of a word as we Aussies are want to do, head over to England and use the word in mixed company and the response will be markedly different.

You could use the same logic to argue that 'nigger' or 'negro' isn't offensive, because they just mean black and saying someone is black is perfectly socially acceptable.

The reality is that certain terms are offensive because of connotations they've acquired over time. 'Curry muncher' has over many decades been used primarily as a racial slur, to demean and dehumanise people of subcontinental origin. The literal meaning of the term is entirely irrelevant.

I don't see why people find this stuff so difficult to understand.

It's not difficult to understand, at all.

I honestly had no idea "curry muncher" carries the same connotations as "******".

And I'm really not sure it does, but generally you know your shit, so....

It's not difficult to understand, at all.

I honestly had no idea "curry muncher" carries the same connotations as "fellow".

And I'm really not sure it does, but generally you know your shit, so....
I wasn't saying it has the same connotations, just that the same logic applies.

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find too many uses of the phrase 'curry muncher' outside of a derogatory / demeaning context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't saying it has the same connotations, just that the same logic applies.

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find too many uses of the phrase 'curry muncher' outside of a derogatory / demeaning context.

I guess the confusing thing is that I really like curry.

I remember seeing another team's supporters with a banner in the 80s that said "who put the roo in the stew? We did- that's who".

Back when Fannie de Villiers was playing for South Africa in the 90s, I distinctly remember a banner in the crowd somewhere in Australia that said 'Stick that up your Fannie'

It only lasted the first 10 overs or so of the game..

I remember the day I realised we were singing "eenie meenie minie moe catch a n*gger by the toe" at school as 5 year olds with no idea what the word meant

Same. Our primary school also had 'Little Black Sambo' on the shelves, and who could forget them Noddy books with the golliwogs? And if a kid didn't want something (like a marble or something), they'd shout 'Jew jump!' and throw it into the playground for the others to scramble after.

If someone was from Nigeria, a Nigerian, what would that make them using the same principle?

Got myself a new Jack Russell puppy, he's mainly black and brown with a small white patch, I've named him England.

Seen a couple of terms I don't understand.

Wet backs and ABCD which is American Born Confused Desi.

Wetbacks = Mexicans who had to swim over the river border to get to the states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back