Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Not even saying Phillips is a bad player, but the need for someone like McDonald seems clear and there’s no signs of a similar player coming along any time soon meanwhile North’s midfield is already stocked and will keep getting fuller unless they reach for players who probably aren’t best available.

If you get the choice between Phillips and Busslinger or McDonald and Wardlaw I think most would take the latter.
It went into our 50 12 times in the last 3 quarters. Carey, Lockett and Dunstall in their prime wouldn’t have helped - let alone McDonald. Swans went inside 50 57 times and he touched it 6 times for 1 point.

You can now lock in a priority pick. The debate now is it will be 1, 10 or 19?
You need a better coach, you need guys like Phillips, Ziebell and a few others back into the team - being out injured has not helped and you need an extra year for your new fitness team to get it right. As for a PP no chance any clubs should swallow it being pick 1, pick 19 maybe and then it should have a caveat that it is traded for a senior body

You could get another 4 pick 1's and in the short term it won't help your club get out of the funk its in and that is how the league should look at it. But gee wizz, Noble needs to go and you need someone with much greater coaching acumen - Buckley maybe

You don't get pick 1 because you mucked up your list. But dream on all you like.

Only recent example of a PP is pick 19 given to Brisbane after the "go home five" incident.

Gold Coast don't count because that was a package to partially make up for the AFL themselves botching their start up.

Think all of the top 6 will be very good in their own right. It wasn't so much they took Phillips, but they went small again at their next pick.

IIRC we tried to trade down to take Pedlar there but GWS sent their pick to the Crows. Hard to go past Powell, probably didn't expect him still there, I think we would have taken Heath Chapman but there was always the rumblings with him potentially being homesick and wanting to be closer to his brother who has disabilities. Problem then is the talls had dried up.

You need a better coach, you need guys like Phillips, Ziebell and a few others back into the team - being out injured has not helped and you need an extra year for your new fitness team to get it right. As for a PP no chance any clubs should swallow it being pick 1, pick 19 maybe and then it should have a caveat that it is traded for a senior body

You could get another 4 pick 1's and in the short term it won't help your club get out of the funk its in and that is how the league should look at it. But gee wizz, Noble needs to go and you need someone with much greater coaching acumen - Buckley maybe
Suns got 1 and we have had a worse 3 years.
Whoever is writing our submission should be asking for 1 as a starting point.

Rowell and Anderson certainly are helping the Suns rise. Of course extra picks are going to help us.

Look at the list of PP:
Nick Riewoldt
Luke Hodge
Chris Judd
Adam Cooney
Marc Murphy
Brett Delidio
Jarryd Roughead
Ryan Griffen
Dale Thomas
Mathew Kreuzer
Matthew Rowell

Yeah a few of these would help.

You don't get pick 1 because you mucked up your list. But dream on all you like.

Only recent example of a PP is pick 19 given to Brisbane after the "go home five" incident.

Gold Coast don't count because that was a package to partially make up for the AFL themselves botching their start up.
Lol that’s not a criteria for a PP.

Last few years results, %, recent finals and premiership.

We tick every box. Name a team that has had a worse 3 years and not got a PP?

I’ll save you some trouble - you won’t find one.

Also Brisbane got pick 19 after winning 14 games in the 3 years prior.

We are sitting on 8 - we finish on 8 I’m tipping it’s better than 19.

Why? Why do you deserve a priority pick? What will an 18 year old kid do? No club should ever be rewarded for being s**t.
Because that’s the rules - it will also push your pick 3 back which will be the icing.

Rowell is helping the Suns - as did Judd Hodge co with their teams.

Because that’s the rules - it will also push your pick 3 back which will be the icing.

There's no "rules" around PPs, it's entirely at the AFL's discretion. They may actually find your situation to their liking, too many clubs in Melbourne and the smallest least important is imploding. We want a team in Tassie but don't want a 19th team so, if a Melbourne club (who annoyed us mightily not going to the Gold Coast back when we asked/pushed) was to fade away?

No other club wants you to get a PP so if you don't get one who's going to carry on about it? That's right, a few supporters from Melbourne's smallest least important club - we can't hear you!

There's no "rules" around PPs, it's entirely at the AFL's discretion. They may actually find your situation to their liking, too many clubs in Melbourne and the smallest least important is imploding. We want a team in Tassie but don't want a 19th team so, if a Melbourne club (who annoyed us mightily not going to the Gold Coast back when we asked/pushed) was to fade away?

No other club wants you to get a PP so if you don't get one who's going to carry on about it? That's right, a few supporters from Melbourne's smallest least important club - we can't hear you!

To allow for this situation, a formula has been developed that takes into account such factors as:

• premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons.

These are the rules the AFL will use to decide what happens.

Tassie don’t want the Roos. Off field great and debt free - just need to get the on field right.

Lol - of course no team wants us to get a PP!!! What a bizarre comment.

19 players have been picked in the 1st round alone as priority picks. I’m sure North didn’t want these teams to get picks but hey - we don’t make the rules….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was the rules. They removed any set rules to prevent teams gaming the system by delisting AFL standard players to drop down the ladder

I think North will likely be given help but I think it should be mature state player based

You can now lock in a priority pick. The debate now is it will be 1, 10 or 19?

I am happy for it to be 1, unfortunately for North, too many other clubs will crack the ****s about it, pick 10 is probably the best outcome you can hope for, but unfortunately I fear it will be pick 19.

Mind you if JH-F demands a trade this year, that could be a game changer

That was the rules. They removed any set rules to prevent teams gaming the system by delisting AFL standard players to drop down the ladder

I think North will likely be given help but I think it should be mature state player based
They will have a formula - the biggest factor being x amount of wins over a certain period. The number is not released as the Dee’s stuffed that up.

8 wins in 3 season will definitely give us a chance.

Suns got 1 and we have had a worse 3 years.
Whoever is writing our submission should be asking for 1 as a starting point.

Rowell and Anderson certainly are helping the Suns rise. Of course extra picks are going to help us.

Look at the list of PP:
Nick Riewoldt
Luke Hodge
Chris Judd
Adam Cooney
Marc Murphy
Brett Delidio
Jarryd Roughead
Ryan Griffen
Dale Thomas
Mathew Kreuzer
Matthew Rowell

Yeah a few of these would help.
Rowell is the only one of those that came after the Priority Pick rule change.

That was because GCS had been bad for a decade and couldn't retain players.

After a couple more years you might have call on that.

I am happy for it to be 1, unfortunately for North, too many other clubs will crack the ****s about it, pick 10 is probably the best outcome you can hope for, but unfortunately I fear it will be pick 19.

Mind you if JH-F demands a trade this year, that could be a game changer
Hopefully JHF is honest with us. If he is leaving next year then we should get on the front foot and trade this year.

Also Brisbane got pick 19 after winning 14 games in the 3 years prior.

We are sitting on 8 - we finish on 8 I’m tipping it’s better than 19.
Brisbane got theirs because they're a non football state and we're struggling to retain players.

Apples and oranges.

I just listed the 1st round PP.

Brisbane got 19 after winning 14 games in 3 years. They won’t go back further than 3 years - Bris won 10 games 4 years before their PP.

If you don’t think we will get help you maybe in for a shock.

Brisbane got 19 after winning 14 games in 3 years. They won’t go back further than 3 years - Bris won 10 games 4 years before their PP.

To allow for this situation, a formula has been developed that takes into account such factors as:

• premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons.

These are the rules the AFL will use to decide what happens.

Tassie don’t want the Roos. Off field great and debt free - just need to get the on field right.

Lol - of course no team wants us to get a PP!!! What a bizarre comment.

19 players have been picked in the 1st round alone as priority picks. I’m sure North didn’t want these teams to get picks but hey - we don’t make the rules….
The only explanation of whether there is a Priority Pick formula was in some media articles around the time the priority pick was scrapped.

Clearly the AFL don't want to do it.

Obviously, it's very important to maintain teams in Qld, but I just can't see them that worried about North Melbourne.

Perhaps pick 10, and maybe more likely soft cap relief and access to mature players.

You listed a bunch of players taken under the previous system.

Completely irrelevant.

Complaining about that is like the Crows or Melbourne complaining that the Western Bulldogs were able to draft JUH, and we are unable to draft our top academy players because they changed the rules.

You'll get help, but it's hard to see you getting pick 1.

Back