Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The only explanation of whether there is a Priority Pick formula was in some media articles around the time the priority pick was scrapped.

Clearly the AFL don't want to do it.

Obviously, it's very important to maintain teams in Qld, but I just can't see them that worried about North Melbourne.

Perhaps pick 10, and maybe more likely soft cap relief and access to mature players.
A team being as bad as us is a major concern for the AFL - it doesn’t matter what state they play in.

Cats get us twice this year - that’s a huge leg up. 172 point bump.

You listed a bunch of players taken under the previous system.

Completely irrelevant.

Complaining about that is like the Crows or Melbourne complaining that the Western Bulldogs were able to draft JUH, and we are unable to draft our top academy players because they changed the rules.

You'll get help, but it's hard to see you getting pick 1.
Agree on 1.

If I was betting then my money would be on 10.

pick 1 and pick 10

if its pick 19 id expect maybe extra soft cap space plus extra rookies outside the cap
The more you say it doesn't make it more likely. Remember who is the AFL opps manager atm?

If you get mid-first and something else its not a bad outcome

TBH - the whole MacDonald, Hollands, DGB, etc etc. thing is getting pretty silly.

At the moment, no side would be particularly comfortable unless you took Chapman and Henry in the teens. I would swap them for DGB at the moment who has big holes in his game. That whole draft is looking like a bit of a stinker at the moment. Give it five years aye. Way too early

Expect...
That's the problem with Kangaroo supporters...
Expect everyone to just bail them out to the detriment of the rest of the competition...
The irony
How many priority picks for the blues?

Meanwhile we have never had one

We have always been a competitive team until now and have had to watch a dozen clubs receive priority picks to our detriment while we toughed it out

The PP did nothing for us...
In hindsight it would have been more beneficial for us, if the AFL were to help the club appoint the right people...
Plus you also brought these results on yourselves, delisting so many players a few years ago...
We delisted spuds

And we were finally in a position to clear dead wood and bottom out due to finally being debt free, record memberships and profits etc.

We were never stable enough to be able to properly rebuild until now but make no mistake the spuds we delisted wouldn’t get us anymore wins hence we were s**t even with them

Now it’s norths turn to finally get priority picks whether it helps or not

Because that’s the rules - it will also push your pick 3 back which will be the icing.

Rowell is helping the Suns - as did Judd Hodge co with their teams.
But it isn't an instant fix like you need.

I don't follow Essendon. I used to, not anymore, so it isn't my pick 3. Although imagine being happy pushing any clubs pick back because your club is being rewarded for being nothing but absolute dog s**t.

We delisted spuds

And we were finally in a position to clear dead wood and bottom out due to finally being debt free, record memberships and profits etc.

We were never stable enough to be able to properly rebuild until now but make no mistake the spuds we delisted wouldn’t get us anymore wins hence we were s**t even with them

Now it’s norths turn to finally get priority picks whether it helps or not
I mean you said it yourself. The club decided it was in a position to bottom out and so is having a crack at it

The AFL shouldn’t reward embarking on that strategy with priority picks. That’s how we ended up with all the tanking previously

I mean you said it yourself. The club decided it was in a position to bottom out and so is having a crack at it

The AFL shouldn’t reward embarking on that strategy with priority picks. That’s how we ended up with all the tanking previously
Look if teams do spend 3-4 years on the rock bottom then feel free to give them PP also which has been the case prior

Not even Gold Coast were as bad as us now

But it isn't an instant fix like you need.

I don't follow Essendon. I used to, not anymore, so it isn't my pick 3. Although imagine being happy pushing any clubs pick back because your club is being rewarded for being nothing but absolute dog s**t.
That’s exactly why there are priority picks - if a team is no good.

It is an instant fix but another quality player will help.

That’s exactly why there are priority picks - if a team is no good.

It is an instant fix but another quality player will help.
What you need is extra cap space, extra list space and access to the rookie and mid season draft before anyone elses. Not a pick of an elite talent.

Look if teams do spend 3-4 years on the rock bottom then feel free to give them PP also which has been the case prior

Not even Gold Coast were as bad as us now
I totally agree that North should be getting assistance from the AFL. I can’t see how it’s feasible (when the current predicament is entirely likely based on the teams strategy) that it comes in the form of a first (or even second) round pick

Doesn’t help them now at all and rewards planning to be s**t

Had to be based on mature state players. More immediate impact on turning their fortunes around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cutting deadwood was a good move.

AFL rewards team that don’t win many games - how they got there is irrelevant.

I totally agree that North should be getting assistance from the AFL. I can’t see how it’s feasible (when the current predicament is entirely likely based on the teams strategy) that it comes in the form of a first (or even second) round pick

Doesn’t help them now at all and rewards planning to be s**t

Had to be based on mature state players. More immediate impact on turning their fortunes around
A bunch of mature state spuds ain’t going to do much, we delisted those and they didn’t help

Plus is diluted even more with msd

priority picks plus soft cap space is what should occur

We’ll take both

Doesn’t have to be one or the other
Thing is, you'll probably get both or all anyway due to being a poor side. If JHF does want out, you could definitely demand and probably get two first round picks from an Adelaide side. You get those two, pick one, another pick in the first round and a PP. Things will be fine down Arden st.

Thing is, you'll probably get both or all anyway due to being a poor side. If JHF does want out, you could definitely demand and probably get two first round picks from an Adelaide side. You get those two, pick one, another pick in the first round and a PP. Things will be fine down Arden st.
Agree.

We’ll take both

Doesn’t have to be one or the other
I should caveat this with if it’s a club asking for assistance again it should not be given

A 1 and done assistance from the afl

So the dozen or so clubs that have received priority picks should not be eligible

That way you phase it out and it’s fair as everyone benefits at some point

You need to get Scott Clayton as far away from your club as possible.
The players he passed up and ended up picking set us back years.
Picking Phillips up over McDonald is criminal, he’s been doing it for years
Criminal? Really? This has a lot of years to play out before you can anoint the pick as a bad one.

Rowell is the only one of those that came after the Priority Pick rule change.

That was because GCS had been bad for a decade and couldn't retain players.

After a couple more years you might have call on that.
And are in a critical market for the AFL with crowd numbers going backwards.

And best friends just happened to be the top 2 kids.

In addition to what you stated. Many differences other than just on field performance that would have contributed to the decision for AFL to give the suns that concession pick.

Back