Club Focus North Melbourne 2020 - Corr, Bosenavulagi, Stephenson, Young, Phillips, Powell, Lazaro, Spicer, Ford

AFL Club Focus

Do they need a priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Maybe next year

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne club thread

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

This version is purely based on footywire data. It cannot be manually updated.

We don't need one. Nor will we request one.

If you are going by the media pile on regarding our list, we should be eligible for pick 3 & 20. They can't have it both ways.

Exactly, either we're as crap as they say, or we aren't

I've been saying for 3 years their list was in poor shape but it's not as bad as what is being made out in the media now.

They will be starting a rebuild with players like LDU, Simpkin, Thomas and Scott with a few years under their belt and ready to take the next step.

No sure I agree with them pushing Ben Brown at the door when he's at his lowest trade value possible though.

Nail these two top 10 picks at the draft, make some astute trades and things can turn around very quickly.

They should be targetting highly rated kids that aren't quite getting the opportunities at other clubs with 2nd round picks.

Way too early to be talking about priority picks though.

Excellent post.

No. I don't think Priority picks should be handed out easily.

I believe there is a place for them, but maybe only after 3 consecutive seasons of below a certain Win-points ratio. Maybe a collective 10 or 12 points, across any 3 consecutive seasons. For a Pre-draft pick. [ Pick 1 ]

Lets add some historical context.

You have also recieved 2 x #1 priority picks and 1 x #2 priority pick in the previous 20 years.

It certainly added some weight against you never getting another one after they removed the actual numerical requirement of receiving one.

The conduct of Richmond, Carlton and Melbourne in 2006-2009 basically forced the AFL to change the rules and ensured these 3 clubs will never recieve a PP for the foresable future, no matter how sh*t you were/get.

View attachment 989677
Relevance? The AFL changed the rules. I’ve given you the example your fellow supporter wanted using factual evidence under the current rules.

Don’t get crabby at me it’s the rules, and he asked for the evidence to back up why Norf wouldn’t get one so it was provided based on the rules as they currently stand.

Maybe try starting a petition to get the AFL to change them or something?

A good coach should be the first priority though..get that right and the rest can fall into place

Good coach and good footy boss.

Got Brady Rawlings doing one.

If North finish second last and end up with the 4th or 5th pick in the draft because of FA compensation picks and academy selections.

Then we are probably well within our rights to ask for one tbh.

Having to award PP's to balance out the inequalities the AFL has created in the draft system would perfectly sum up the current draft/FA system.

Last edited:
Good coach and good footy boss.

Got Brady Rawlings doing one.

Is Brady Rawlings doing a good job so far though?
Way too early to tell I would have thought.

Their recent results over last 5 years are not great, but they aren't catastrophic.

The club is either viable or it isn't, if it needs priority pick support after a few down years of poor but not the worst results in the league than I would question their viability. We've been told the club in it's current format is perfectly viable as a Melbourne based club, if that's the case, a PP shouldn't be granted based on their current results. Several other teams have had far worse results for longer and not been granted a PP.

Their recent results over last 5 years are not great, but they aren't catastrophic.

The club is either viable or it isn't, if it needs priority pick support after a few down years of poor but not the worst results in the league than I would question their viability. We've been told the club in it's current format is perfectly viable as a Melbourne based club, if that's the case, a PP shouldn't be granted based on their current results. Several other teams have had far worse results for longer and not been granted a PP.
Viability as a club and on field performances are not linked.

Carlton were always viable no matter how terrible they were on the field.

Not that I want the AFL's poison chalice in the form of help.

Viability as a club and on field performances are not linked.

Carlton were always viable no matter how terrible they were on the field.

Not that I want the AFL's poison chalice in the form of help.
If there is no viability issue here as there was in helping GC out, then North's results arent bad enough to warrant a PP.

This is a side that made 2x PFs in 14/15, finals in 2016 and just missed finals 9th in 2018. Barely a worrisome 5 year period, certainly not PP justified.

Think it's a bit more complex than just a few bad season's at the bottom mate.

Gold Coast got their 'rescue package/Priority Picks in part due to them constantly losing A Grade or required playera to rival clubs every year.

North seem to have a really good core of young players anyway, wouldn't mind them getting a couple of state league/supplementary list players next year or two if you are still battling (like Carlton did with Cottrell and Gibbons)

Kids/Draft Picks is not North's main problem, it will be replacing all the experienced players (even if some were only battlers) you have just culled from your list)

That and you were smashed by injuries this season.

North do have quality youth coming through, it's just finding quality 23 year old/100 -150 game type players to help them out.

Thanks for agreeing with me but with extra fluff

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is no viability issue here as there was in helping GC out, then North's results arent bad enough to warrant a PP.

This is a side that made 2x PFs in 14/15, finals in 2016 and just missed finals 9th in 2018. Barely a worrisome 5 year period, certainly not PP justified.
Pretty sure I said I wouldn't want one.

And the club has not called for one.

It will have to be pretty bad before NMFC goes begging for that kind of help.

All the club has ever asked for is an even playing field.

Is Brady Rawlings doing a good job so far though?
Way too early to tell I would have thought.
Well he pulled the trigger that no one else would with regards to cutting away the 'dead wood'. You are right though, time will tell, but signs are good so far.

Pretty sure I said I wouldn't want one.

And the club has not called for one.

It will have to be pretty bad before NMFC goes begging for that kind of help.

All the club has ever asked for is an even playing field.
Just responding to the thread title question, it seems here most fans rightly don't expect one.

It'd be pretty silly to give us a priority pick when we're going to win the flag next year.

So north are in an interesting position in they will have a huge amount of salary cap room and need to pay 95% TPP .

They also want to bring in younger players that can be around for the next perceived flag window .

Peter Wright 24 years drafted pick 8 - replaces Brown as foward/ruck

Will brodie 22 years drafted pick 9

Brayden fiorini 23 years drafted pick 20

2 mids to add to your next midfield that will be minus Higgins zeibull and cunnington

They could be had for a future pick if North were willing to take on their salaries.

All are talented but struggling to get a game with the Gold coasts abundance of talent .

Especially if GC want Treloar you could get them for a cheap

what a silly title for a thread.

you dont go offering players like polec crazy deals then expect help.
As much as they over paid polec he is good at what he does . Outside run and great field kicking .

When a team is up and about polec is bought into the game . When a team struggles to win the ball polec struggles .

You guys could have done with polec against Richmond. His kicking inside 50 probably would have found some targets .

Will be an interesting week for the club.

We will very much shape the early stages of the draft to an extent.

There's some growing momentum around Hollands, however it really depends on Adelaide.

I think we probably take McDonald if Adelaide doesn't though, then Hollands is a chance to Sydney or Hawthorn.

Pick 11 is interesting, as there's growing mail from AFL journo's that Perkins might slip through to GWS' #10 or North's #11. Would almost be a best case scenario result if we took McDonald or Thilthorpe really.

Otherwise the left over of Cox/Reid/Chapman seems like a good possibility there.

what a silly title for a thread.

you dont go offering players like polec crazy deals then expect help.
Gotta pay someone to get to 95% of the cap. With Higgins and Brown gone, bringing in Stephenson for cheap picks was a smart move and they got Corr for free too.
If they snag McDonald at pick 2 they get a 10+ year KPF to build their forwardline around (Stephenson and Zurhaar make it instantly decent) then they can find mids with later picks.
Xerri will carry the ruck when Goldy retires so there's another piece they don't have to find.

Are North Melbourne all but certain to select McDonald or Tilthorpe with pick 2?
Not really sure if I were to be honest, could be any of the top 6 besides DGB since our KDPs will be fine for the next 5 years but it seems to be most likely be either of those 2 or Hollands.

Are North Melbourne all but certain to select McDonald or Tilthorpe with pick 2?

I reckon it'll be McDonald and Hollands in that order.

Back