Club Focus North Melbourne 2023 - end of 1st round priority picks, extra rookie spots

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I'll give them 1, maybe 2 more lean years then if they hold onto all their young talent, they will quickly move up the ladder - that on ball division - Phillips, Wardlaw, Powell, LDU etc could be very exciting and with Larkey and Sheezel up forward they have some real promising younger talent. Just need to bring in a few more quality kids and they will be fine

I'll give them 1, maybe 2 more lean years then if they hold onto all their young talent, they will quickly move up the ladder - that on ball division - Phillips, Wardlaw, Powell, LDU etc could be very exciting and with Larkey and Sheezel up forward they have some real promising younger talent. Just need to bring in a few more quality kids and they will be fine

Id think the SA clubs will come for Powell. Talented kid. They will lose a couple ..it always takes a little longer than you think.

yeah the mids look strong and simpkin leading them for us going forward but im equally excited by our forwards

Larkey comben zurhaar sheezel sleevo and curtis

then theres still tarryn thomas who i expect will play this year

yeah the mids look strong and simpkin leading them for us going forward but im equally excited by our forwards

Larkey comben zurhaar sheezel sleevo and curtis

then theres still tarryn thomas who i expect will play this year
Really ? Some would have him gone.

Do you think you need to add to your talls in the draft? Depending one where you finish, the best kid in the draft is probably a mid.

Do you think you need to add to your talls in the draft? Depending one where you finish, the best kid in the draft is probably a mid.
If they do finish bottom, you would think they take reid every day of the ween and twice on sundays..looks a superstar in the making

yeah i think he will keep doing his counselling and come back playing

got 2 first rounders next year atm expect the latter to be used on a key forward (hoping Nate Caddy grows a few cm)

If they do finish bottom, you would think they take reid every day of the ween and twice on sundays..looks a superstar in the making
Yep - but we also have Ports 1st. Key forward should be on the radar. If we don’t finish last there are a few exciting forwards we could take.

Harley Reid is a no-brainer for every team.
But in terms of needs, we could do with another KPF and KPD, and a zippy small forward. Probably a skilful playmaker off half back too, but we do have a couple potential options to experiment with on that front.

I'd be blown away with surprise if we ended up with another spoon but if it was Harley Reid then step up.

It will rankle with many but you'd expect a third spoon in succession would ramp up priority pick talks.

For what it's worth I think it will be a moot point. Griffin Logue into our back spine and Charlie Comben (as at least a strong tall forward target) into our forward spine straightens us up massively, and then you've got Cunnington leading the mids again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be blown away with surprise if we ended up with another spoon but if it was Harley Reid then step up.

It will rankle with many but you'd expect a third spoon in succession would ramp up priority pick talks.

For what it's worth I think it will be a moot point. Griffin Logue into our back spine and Charlie Comben (as at least a strong tall forward target) into our forward spine straightens us up massively, and then you've got Cunnington leading the mids again.

Priority Picks should never be seen again. Plenty of other ways to help clubs that do not drastically affect others draft hand.

Priority Picks should never be seen again. Plenty of other ways to help clubs that do not drastically affect others draft hand.

I agree but with the token we got last season hard to see the club not going for it in that situation. It’s why I wanted to clarify how unlikely I see it, I think we’ll see a more competitive side.

If we finish bottom then we take Reid. Otherwise I think Caddy and Watson. If McKay leaves, draft Curtain with the compo pick.

Then try to sign Hunter Clark.

At that point you are hoping that enough of the young talent develops.

Id think the SA clubs will come for Powell. Talented kid. They will lose a couple ..it always takes a little longer than you think.
He’s pretty settled in Melbourne. Working at one of the big 4. Seeing a Melbourne bird.

I think it’ll be more if any of our highly rated young mids get squeezed out and look elsewhere for mid minutes.

They really need this lot of draftees to be a good bunch

They don't seem to have got a lot out of years on the bottom of the ladder just as yet

Hopefully Clarkson can turn them into a competitive team and they can start moving up the ladder, the list just doesn't look like it's jam packed with talent though which you would expect

He says, whilst neglecting the fact that we've seen a total of 48 games out of Pick 3, 3, 4, 13, 22 & 26 from the last 3 drafts.
As I said, they really need to get a lot out of the most recent draft

I am not judging the 2022 draft crop which is where most of those picks are from

I am suggesting what has come prior to that doesn't look amazing just yet considering how uncompetitive they have been

As I said, they really need to get a lot out of the most recent draft

I am not judging the 2022 draft crop which is where most of those picks are from

I am suggesting what has come prior to that doesn't look amazing just yet considering how uncompetitive they have been
You mean to tell me 2nd and 1st years can't carry a team to competitiveness?

Definitely not, i dont think i suggested that

The first and second year players would make up how many of your 22?
I honestly don't remember our b22 from 2022 but I'd say that there would be around 4 players (Powell, JHF, Curtis and Phillips) that were first and second year players in the b22.

This year I have that number at 3. Curtis, Sheezel and Goater. Maybe Drury if we're going by training reports and maybe Archer as well (I think most other North fans would agree with me with this 3-5.

I honestly don't remember our b22 from 2022 but I'd say that there would be around 4 players (Powell, JHF, Curtis and Phillips) that were first and second year players in the b22.

This year I have that number at 3. Curtis, Sheezel and Goater. Maybe Drury if we're going by training reports and maybe Archer as well (I think most other North fans would agree with me with this 3-5.
Fair enough. Well I don't really understand your precious comment as I was never suggesting 1st or 2nd year players do or do not impact competitiveness

I'd imagine that needs to come from the other 19 or 20 players in the 22. You'd still want to be seeing some good signs from the kids though.

They haven't been able to do that as yet, which is why I'm saying they really need this draft crop to be a good one

Fair enough. Well I don't really understand your precious comment as I was never suggesting 1st or 2nd year players do or do not impact competitiveness

I'd imagine that needs to come from the other 19 or 20 players in the 22. You'd still want to be seeing some good signs from the kids though.

They haven't been able to do that as yet, which is why I'm saying they really need this draft crop to be a good one
Well we've only bottomed out since 2020. If you want my opinions on our drafting record since 2016 here it is:

2016:
Jy Simpkin, good selection probably hurt by s**t coaching in 2022
Declan Watson, sucked
Josh Williams, sucked
Nick Larkey, great selection, would've kicked more goals if it wasn't for s**t coaching
Rookie Draft: Cameron Zurhaar, same as Larkey

2017:
Pick 4: LDU, good selection but was an obvious choice
The rest besides Xerri have sucked, Xerri will turn into a good enough ruckman I guess

2018:
Pick 8: Tarryn Thomas, great talent, I think we both know what's happened with him
Later Picks: Bailey Scott, will develop into a good winger but nothing special and idk what to make of Curtis Taylor but I'm not optimistic

2019:
Charlie Comben, talented but perenially injured
Jack Mahony, sucks
Flynn Perez, injured and then played out of position, showed promise when played in position though

2020:
Phillips, injured, showed some really good signs in his first year.
Powell, injured then played out of position in 2022, showed great signs in 2021.
Laz, Ford and Spicer, signs not looking good so far

2021:
Goater, great selection, should develop into a great player
Curtis, great selection, should be an even more important player
Archer, developing well

2022:
Sheezel, great selection, could do things at AFL level this year
Wardlaw and George won't play due to injury and conditioning issues, Wardlaw might see games in the back half but I doubt it.
Drury seems to be developing well.

Then you look at the biggest trade ins since 2020:
Stephenson, CCJ and Logue. These moves made sense and everyone agreed. The issue has been once they arrive they seem to regress a lot, whether it be terrible coaching, disciplinary issues, etc

Obviously Logue has yet to play a game but I highly rate the trade we made to get him.

I think our coaching was genuinely horrendous in 2022 and was why so many prospects stalled out, they simply weren't played in position or there were other uncontrollable issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back