Club Focus Geelong 2023 - Reportedly open to trading their first round pick

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

We'll have cap space to burn starting this year, so while I think we'll land some big names, he's not one I'd be betting on. At least not immediately.

If he does leave I'd say we're close to first in line, but he's a country kid. He's moving regardless of where he's drafted.

The Eagles will see themselves on an upwards trajectory in the coming years, and if he's anything like advertised, he'll be the biggest name in a footy mad state.

Endorsements, money, fame, girls, (or guys, whatever you're into Harley!), he'll have just about everything that a man in their younger years is after.

He's more Judd than JHF is what I'm getting at. Could very much see him leaving, and I personally believe he will....but I'm thinking more 24-25 rather than 19.
I think country kids are far less likely to move in general but if they are wanting to move we have a strong case

We'll have cap space to burn starting this year, so while I think we'll land some big names, he's not one I'd be betting on. At least not immediately.

If he does leave I'd say we're close to first in line, but he's a country kid. He's moving regardless of where he's drafted.

The Eagles will see themselves on an upwards trajectory in the coming years, and if he's anything like advertised, he'll be the biggest name in a footy mad state.

Endorsements, money, fame, girls, (or guys, whatever you're into Harley!), he'll have just about everything that a man in their younger years is after.

He's more Judd than JHF is what I'm getting at. Could very much see him leaving, and I personally believe he will....but I'm thinking more 24-25 rather than 19
Dees/pies/Blues etc will all start testing the waters next year I just reckon Geelong will stand out with the lifestyle.

He seems like a good kid I don’t think he is a JHF either but the game is different now vs Judd times I don’t think he goes next year but would be very surprised to see him make the 3 years just because of the crazy level of offers he will have from big Vic clubs.
Reckon you guys will end up with him.

Key Backs - SDK, Henry (O'Sullivan, Jeka)

General Defenders - Stewart, Kolo, Bews, Zuthrie, Tuohy, O'Connor, Bowes, Mullin (Murdoch)

Rucks - Stanley, Conway (Edwards, Furphy)

Inside Mids - Dangerfield, C.Guthrie, Blicavs, Atkins, Bruhn, Parfitt, Clark (Stevens, Clohesy, Hardie, Willis)

Outside Mids - Duncan, Holmes, Mannagh, Knevitt (Humphries)

Key Forwards - Cameron, Hawkins, Neale (Foster)

General Forwards - Stengle, Miers, Close, Henry, Rohan, Dempsey (Wiltshire)

We have balanced out our list ok via the draft. The guys in brackets would be the ones I wouldn't expect to see a lot of next year but hey you never know with someone like O'Sullivan who could get a game based upon needs and then show enough to stay in for most of the year. Leaves a solid squad of 32 to pick from.

You can quibble about a few of the categories e.g Tuohy will probably spend more time on a wing with the retirement of Smith, Blitz can play anywhere, and players like Knevitt and Dempsey are probably ultimately better suited playing inside mid but if they are getting games at AFL level it is unlikely they would get the chance to play there much.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic draft for the Cats, I thought.

O'Sullivan is a good pick.
Edwards has a ton of talent.
Mannagh will be a good player straight away.
Stevens, as well.

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree broadly but I think it needs to be qualified somewhat in that our big need is looking like decent mids and this draft was thin for them and our later picks were all traded out for Ollie Henry. In that context it looks like we did alright with what we had.

COS looks like a great kid and a position we need filled real soon.

Mannagh looks like he can impact immediately and we need ready to go players.

I actually quite like the look of Wiltshire and Humphries who are both decent kicks with a turn of speed. Both aged in the same kind of age range as Bruhn, Holmes, Henry, Neale, Knevitt, Dempsey so it looks like we are lining up a cohort.

Edwards might not make it but worth a roll of the dice. Stevens is a real long shot given his lack of speed.

Not bad for a draft we mostly traded out of.

Who would you have taken instead?

I think they did okay

The trade with Essendon was good as it allowed you to get O'Sullivan plus another asset.

O'Sullivan and Edwards were needs and will help in a few years time.

Mannagh was a reach and I think Jiath or Lual would have been better value for a team lacking run.

Stevens at that point of the draft is fine. He either kills it or is out of the league in two years.

I think they did okay

The trade with Essendon was good as it allowed you to get O'Sullivan plus another asset.

O'Sullivan and Edwards were needs and will help in a few years time.

Mannagh was a reach and I think Jiath or Lual would have been better value for a team lacking run.

Stevens at that point of the draft is fine. He either kills it or is out of the league in two years.

Very hard to tell with Geelong players, sometimes those late picks turn out to be AFL standard players, a lot of the time the earlier picks don't work out.

To be confirmed if Mannagh was a reach. People said Stewart was a reach when we took him. Obviously Essendon fans hoping he doesn't translate his VFL form to AFL given he was a freebie from the Dodo.

Stewart was not a reach. Clubs were interested earlier for him but he basically told teams he wanted to be close to home so they went other ways. (Their fault, they should have taken the risk)

Stewart was not a reach. Clubs were interested earlier for him but he basically told teams he wanted to be close to home so they went other ways. (Their fault, they should have taken the risk)

There were people complaining about taking him so early on the Geelong board.

We have taken mature ages at the end the very end of the national draft and the rookie draft that have not worked out but whenever we have coughed up actual draft capital for one it has been a hit (Taylor, Stewart and Kelly).

Very brave call to knock the recruitment team rating Mannagh where they did.

To be confirmed if Mannagh was a reach. People said Stewart was a reach when we took him. Obviously Essendon fans hoping he doesn't translate his VFL form to AFL given he was a freebie from the Dodo.
He can be AA if he likes. I don't think we'd have any reason to be annoyed at not picking a 26 year-old player especially if Caddy realises his potential. Essendon aren't likely going to be premiership contenders (if they'll ever be) until Mannagh is at least 29-30.

He can be AA if he likes. I don't think we'd have any reason to be annoyed at not picking a 26 year-old player especially if Caddy realises his potential. Essendon aren't likely going to be premiership contenders (if they'll ever be) until Mannagh is at least 29-30.

That's the attitude that makes our list management strategy successful. Keep it up.

Caddy will be a bust.

To be honest it really thinned out at that pick anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back