Club Focus Geelong 2023 - Reportedly open to trading their first round pick

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Cats have a tonne of live picks dont they?

Obviously Dempsey, Atkins and B.Close can all be upgraded to the main list to reduce that, but why not keep them on rookie list and have access to better talents

Obviously Dempsey, Atkins and B.Close can all be upgraded to the main list to reduce that, but why not keep them on rookie list and have access to better talents

Pretty sure Atkins and Close were upgraded last year. Not sure if we need to upgrade Dempsey yet, he can spend a year eating steak I reckon.

Atkins and Close are already on the main list.

This should also be stickied as its the go to response from some cats fans these days.

The list leaving in the next couple of years is huge and they just finished 12th.

Hawk, Tuohy, Danger, Stanley, Blitz, Rohan, Duncan, Guthrie, Stewart, Jezza are all over 30 and most are injury prone, Bews nearly there too. Thats the core of the team.

Who are Geelong's top 10 players taking them to finals in 3 years? In no order Stengle, Atkins, Holmes and the Henrys stand out but are they elite? Bruhn, Miers and DK are solid. Clark unproven. Can these guys lead the team?

They were the oldest premier in history beating the 18 Eagles who beat the 15 Hawks and we know what happened to those two clubs soon after...

Im not knocking them, they have a been a strong club for years and they went all in for a flag and got it, its how the system works.

They likely fix the issue you have highlighted the same way the Cats have stayed up longer than anyone. By trading in quality players.

So its the timing of the over 30's dropping off / retiring versus how quickky can the kids improve AND the quality they trade in.

What is interesting is the pause this season on Geelong improving via trade. There was none, only players leaving.

I can see the Cats ladder position 'hovering' for a year or two, then they start climbing again. If they have a bad run with injuries to 3 or 4 key players they could fall a couple of spots. If they have a good run they make the bottom of the top 8.

Atkins and close are already main list.
But yes we have spots we can theoretically take up to 7 senior list spots (if we do this then would be no new rookies as rookie list full).
If i had to guess id say we will take maybe 5 ND picks on the night, elevate dempsey and save one or two slots for SSP.

The Crows really want this pick.

I know they do i suspect they are trying to get a player that they think us or ess want. My guess would be either osullivan or leake is who they want (caddy is style wise quite similar to fogarty so i doubt they are chasing him).
The question is whether they offer 10 and 20 for 8 and whether we think thats enough to deal or not.

I know they do i suspect they are trying to get a player that they think us or ess want. My guess would be either osullivan or leake is who they want (caddy is style wise quite similar to fogarty so i doubt they are chasing him).
The question is whether they offer 10 and 20 for 8 and whether we think thats enough to deal or not.
Even if Osullivan is there at 8 i dont think they(Geelong) should be doing that

Id be taking Osullivan

Henry x 2
Neale
Jezza as the taller fwds post Hawkins/Rohan 2024 era

I do suspect the cats would do that deal though knowing either Windsor or Wilson will be there, and there big on Wilson

Feels like Adelaide could do F1st rounder + 20 odd in this draft for pick 8 knowing they will finish higher on the ladder then whatever pick Welsh will go at which they can then match with 2nd rounders and not a unused 1st round pick

Seems common sense

Hope you guys keep the pick and then pick o'sullivan. Geelong needs to save hamish from himself lol.

He's got an obsession with defenders even though when we play the good sides we get smashed in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Osullivan is there at 8 i dont think they(Geelong) should be doing that

Id be taking Osullivan

Henry x 2
Neale
Jezza as the taller fwds post Hawkins/Rohan 2024 era

I do suspect the cats would do that deal though knowing either Windsor or Wilson will be there, and there big on Wilson

If we want osullivan then no we wouldnt trade down but if we want wilson or leake or say caddy we might roll the dice on at least one of them getting to 10. I agree wilson is a geelong type pick.
Adel might want to jump ess if they think ess are taking osullivan.

If we want osullivan then no we wouldnt trade down but if we want wilson or leake or say caddy we might roll the dice on at least one of them getting to 10. I agree wilson is a geelong type pick.
Well atleast 1 of the elite 8 + Leake + Wilson will be there at 10

Is 11 + MFC F1 > 10 + 20?
I would absolutely do that from a Geelong perspective. I would even throw in an F3 or similar to get it done.

One side always unexpectedly collapses in a heap every year. Probably won't be Melbourne, but it isn't impossible. Worth the gamble for Geelong.

I wonder if Adelaide are really wedded to say O'Sullivan and know he will be gone by pick 10, could a deal be 10 + 14 for 8 + 25..as we opened up the extra list spot so presumably are planning on 3 picks and there could be a couple of players we rank in that 20 - 25 range outside the academy and f/s picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back