Club Focus Geelong 2023 - Reportedly open to trading their first round pick

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Geelong will probably only trade 8 if they are offered overs like others have suggested. Geelong already has pick 26, so they can take a shot for a kid in that draft range.
I think it's who is still there at 8. If 1 of Caddy or Curtin is still there then it's very valuable but the top 7 seems to be set as Reid, Curtin, Duursma, McKercher, Sanders, Watson, Caddy. Every other player considered for the first round are about even.

The only reason I can see the Cats do it is the 2 first round picks in 4 years rule.

If they want to trade hard in future years then getting 2 x firsts for one this year helps them have more flexibility.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We took a first rounder last year so if we take a first rounder this year we could still trade our next 2 first rounders. I think the chance we trade 3 first rounders in a row is precisely zero which is the only case where having taken 2 this year would help.

I think our decision will depend on who gets to 9 (im calling it 9 as walter will be bid before then and maybe read which makes it 10) out of the reid/walter/mckercher/duursma/sanders/curtin/watson/caddy/osullivan/leake/wilson group.

If sanders is there i think we just take him as he fills an obvious need.
I think we will do the same if its curtin (unless wce offer us overs like an fr1 straight up for him) and leake is a very wells pick.
But if sanders goes to wbd and curtin to melb and leake to gws all of which is possible then it gets more interesting.

I like caddy but he doesnt fill as much of a need nor does watson (though watson is way more chance to go before our pick) so in that scenario i can see us trading 9 if we are offered overs.

But mackie and the team have been clear that a) we arent trading unless the deal is very good and b) we have been planning to use a few back end picks and the combination of that and how many retirements we will have next year means if we trade 9 it will be out into 2024 not back into mid range picks this year.

Realistically we probably arent trading 9 unless wce/nm/haw offer us a fr1 straight up (those teams we would back to be bottom 6) or someone like freo offers us 2 of their future 1sts (ie freos and collingwoods for example). I think both of those things are unlikely so its more likely we just use the pick unless its say the 11 and 15 or 11 and 21 deal from adel.
I think if Geelong don't believe they can win a flag in the next 2 years any player in that top cohort that is available at your pick fills a need (except osullivan).

If you think the competition is weak and you can ride Cameron to an unexpected flag in the near future (which i do believe), then obviously that means guys like Curtin and Caddy might not be as useful (they probably aren't plug and play like Sanders for example).

I think if Geelong don't believe they can win a flag in the next 2 years any player in that top cohort that is available at your pick fills a need (except osullivan).

If you think the competition is weak and you can ride Cameron to an unexpected flag in the near future (which i do believe), then obviously that means guys like Curtin and Caddy might not be as useful (they probably aren't plug and play like Sanders for example).
Osullivan fills a bit of a need aswell imo

Him and SDK as the KPD pillars

Stewart and Kolo as the 3rd/4th talls/shutdowns. Also think its clear theyre strongly considering Stewart as a midfielder when Duncan, Tuohy, Danger, Blics are all done and Guthrie/Atkins are 12-24 months closer to retirement

Henry can play forward

They did just lose Esava

Osullivan fills a bit of a need aswell imo

Him and SDK as the KPD pillars

Stewart and Kolo as the 3rd/4th talls/shutdowns. Also think its clear theyre strongly considering Stewart as a midfielder when Duncan, Tuohy, Danger, Blics are all done and Guthrie/Atkins are 12-24 months closer to retirement

Henry can play forward

They did just lose Esava
I was thinking sdk and Jack Henry (slightly undersized) defensive posts. Which Henry were you saying could play forward? Ollie obviously can, but I didn't know Jack did too (could just be my ignorance).

I was thinking sdk and Jack Henry (slightly undersized) defensive posts. Which Henry were you saying could play forward? Ollie obviously can, but I didn't know Jack did too (could just be my ignorance).
Jack Henry

Hes played forward many times for them and in the role of chop out ruck at times

Ah. Somehow every game I have seen him forward he has been ineffectual (or I have just missed it).
Nothing of huge influence goals wise, more role player, getting the ball to ground and a chop out. Theyve had team success with him there

I think theyd prefer Sanders no doubt but wouldnt totally be against Osullivan with the eye to Stewart onball or J.Henry forward like hes played several times, next to S.Neale and Jezza for the future

Nothing of huge influence goals wise, more role player, getting the ball to ground and a chop out. Theyve had team success with him there

I think theyd prefer Sanders no doubt but wouldnt totally be against Osullivan with the eye to Stewart onball or J.Henry forward like hes played several times, next to S.Neale and Jezza for the future
Very easy to miss good role players when you arent watching an opposing team carefully, especially a team like Geelong with such big flash match winners (my focus is always drawn to Cameron and Danger especially).

I wouldve thought Geelong wouldve been happy to be at the end of the tier that Twomey has mentioned several times

They must see it differently

Wouldve thought theyd love any of Sanders, Watson, Caddy or Osullivan.... whoever was there

I know theyve publicly said they want mids but they have recruited Bowes and Bruhn as mids, went for a pure mid at 8 last year in J.Clark and then theyve seen Holmes flourish. Not to mention Knevitt and Parfitt still around

I know any club needs many more than that and they take time, but youd think theyd be ok with an Osullivan than the best mid available at pick 25
I think some are misinterpreting Mackie. He basically said he is happy to select with it but is equally happy to accept an offer he couldn't refuse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah. Somehow every game I have seen him forward he has been ineffectual (or I have just missed it).
When it has been a set plan it's been less effective. For some reason he goes forward and does well when it's a reaction to a change on field and oppo don't expect him there. That close one against Richmond last year was a prime example where he swung forward and won the game for us. Didn't do much in the games where oppo knew he'd be there though.

When it has been a set plan it's been less effective. For some reason he goes forward and does well when it's a reaction to a change on field and oppo don't expect him there. That close one against Richmond last year was a prime example where he swung forward and won the game for us. Didn't do much in the games where oppo knew he'd be there though.
I clearly just missed the boat on this one.

I think some are misinterpreting Mackie. He basically said he is happy to select with it but is equally happy to accept an offer he couldn't refuse.
Yeh agree

Everyone is open with their picks to be traded all depends on the return ect

Cats in a pretty good spot for a Watson Caddy, Sanders or Osullivan and never know Curtin will be called very quickly if there. They seem keen on Wilson aswell but i think they take one of the elite 8 or trade

8 and 25 for Norths 3 teen picks 15, 17 and 18

Last edited:
Yeh agree

Everyone is open with their picks to be traded all depends on the return ect

Cats in a pretty good spot for a Watson Caddy, Sanders or Osullivan and never know Curtin will be called very quickly if there. They seem keen on Wilson aswell but i think they take one of the elite 8 or trade

8 and 25 for Norths 3 teen picks 15, 17 and 18

No team with a top 10 pick will accept those picks. Future first and 18 will equal a yes i imagine.

To get 8 and 26 yea I imagine. If you think it is unfair it is. If North want another top 10 pick, they will get boned for it.

Except it won’t even be a top 10 pick.

I don’t think we are desperate for it, not much different to the half a dozen other players available at our other picks.

To get 8 and 26 yea I imagine. If you think it is unfair it is. If North want another top 10 pick, they will get boned for it.
If that was the case l would rather it be for the Dees 6 and 11..:laughv1::laughv1:

No team with a top 10 pick will accept those picks. Future first and 18 will equal a yes i imagine.
Id be doing 9, 31 and 35 for 15, 17 and 18 if none of Watson, Caddy, Sanders are there at 9

Wilson
Windsor
Tholstrup
O.Murphy
Leake
C.Edwards
The best 200cm KPF in open pool (A.Reid)
Demattia
Harderman

Is a pretty solid next group. Although i dont personally rate some that high and but some fill a big need for Essendon

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back