Club Focus North Melbourne 2023 - end of 1st round priority picks, extra rookie spots

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Still failing to understand why North scream they don't have enough talent, despite having more first rounders than all but 2 sides, then won't even consider splitting a first rounder, like WCE have for the past 2 years.

Oh, yes I can. They just beg for help instead and keep their top picks.

Why get a job when you can get free money from the government?

There are 100 other threads to discuss in. I note you are a prominent contributor in some of them.

This is not the place.

Horrendous decision by the AFL. The AFL should have approved an extra development coach or something rather then screwing the rest of the teams over
We traded JHF and part of that trade netted us Ports first pick.

That is 14 so by the time Croft and a few other Academy picks are taken that will become 19.
Is that fair? Just asking.
Also if we swap the second rounder we got from the AFL plus our two future second rounders for say pick 10.

Does that mean we have had only 3 PPs and not 5 ?

If no is the answer then we all must agree those clubs gifted pick 1 are miles ahead in the handout stakes.

Would have been a slap in the face to all the supporters if he did.
Nowhere near it.
The 2020 and 2021 drafts are going to have question marks over them for years because of Covid lockdowns.

Swings and roundabouts mate. Eddie Ford went pick 56 in the 2020 draft.
Loving his portfolio of work to date.

Phillips had 26 disposals against the GC last round.

Will teams low ball them for those picks next year as teams will know North have to move them at risk of losing them?

They will trade them now they wont keep them for 2024.

Think I might give first draft night a miss

Attachments

• 1199793F-B66A-461A-86FE-5E624C48F5CE.png
    1199793F-B66A-461A-86FE-5E624C48F5CE.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 114
Can someone with a better understanding of FA compo dilution precedents than me explain how North’s mooted acquisition of Biggy Nyuon will work?

My first thought was that North would send the Tigers a token pick so he didn’t leave as a FA. But Tom Morris specifically said he was joining the Roos as a UFA, so I’m not sure?

Is compo dilution not an issue here because Nyuon’s perceived value isn’t very high, so he effectively cancels out Goldstein?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Dylan Stephens, Zac Fisher, Bigoa Nyuon

Out: Ben McKay, Todd Goldstein

Draft Picks: 2, 3, 15, 17, 18, 57, 82

Another very active off-season for the Roos. Brought some fresh faces in, shed some experience, and have a very strong 2023 draft hand.

Have they set themselves up well enough to convince the Eagles to part with pick 1?

We have 7 open list spots. I like our 5 national draft picks I hope we use them and then look at a couple of dfas or utilising the spp.
I expect you'd end up using probably 6 of them, that 57 will come up into the 40s and 82 probably in the 50s by the time all is said and done.

I expect you'd end up using probably 6 of them, that 57 will come up into the 40s and 82 probably in the 50s by the time all is said and done.
I think at the stage 57 comes around it will be so close to the end of the draft we would be better off using rookie draft pick 2 and getting the same or a similar player on a shorter deal. I am a big fan of the ssp myself it's a great idea to have 2 or 3 guys fighting for the last spot on the list over preseason. It gives us redundancy if another player gets an lti.

I think at the stage 57 comes around it will be so close to the end of the draft we would be better off using rookie draft pick 2 and getting the same or a similar player on a shorter deal. I am a big fan of the ssp myself it's a great idea to have 2 or 3 guys fighting for the last spot on the list over preseason. It gives us redundancy if another player gets an lti.
Yep – I don't know how North normally does their list stuff but Essendon has 0-1 spots open on the list for SSP and if 0, will open one by Christmas through an existing LTI and either way usually another spot is opened before the MSD, so we have at least two rookies each year that are signed between the end of the drafts and the start of the following free agency period. Works pretty well, and is largely the reason why the national draft is so much shorter these days I think (the guys we rookie at mid-year probably would've gone in the national draft's 50s and 60s in the years before pre-season and mid-year recruitment).

Man, North need some help down back or they will be giving up some big scores this year …. If they don’t select the best Kpd they can then the stewards need to be called in

Man, North need some help down back or they will be giving up some big scores this year …. If they don’t select the best Kpd they can then the stewards need to be called in
If we can cut off the constant stream of ball coming into our defence and have players who can play to a system we’re going to look much better.

I expect us to have 6-8 wins next year and to be knocking on the 8 in 2025.

When we’re looking like a finals side I’m sure we’ll be looking to trade in a KPD.

If we can cut off the constant stream of ball coming into our defence and have players who can play to a system we’re going to look much better.

I expect us to have 6-8 wins next year and to be knocking on the 8 in 2025.

When we’re looking like a finals side I’m sure we’ll be looking to trade in a KPD.
Even with better mid pressure …, the likelihood is you’ll get scored against heavily. Normally need to get the kpps in before the mids to get that build up and running

Even with better mid pressure …, the likelihood is you’ll get scored against heavily. Normally need to get the kpps in before the mids to get that build up and running
Clubs have had success building midfields first and then bringing in high priced KPD as top ups (hawthorn and Melbourne both followed this strategy recently in the lead up to flags) but gosh they look paper thin down back. Worse even than my mob.

Clubs have had success building midfields first and then bringing in high priced KPD as top ups (hawthorn and Melbourne both followed this strategy recently in the lead up to flags) but gosh they look paper thin down back. Worse even than my mob.
Hawks and Melbourne managed it, but they stand out as having done that

If the picks stay as they are I hope at least one of 15/17/18 are spent on a key back. Not sure it helps much in 2024 though. Suspect a delisted free agent and/or state league type will join as well.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back