Club Focus North Melbourne 2023 - end of 1st round priority picks, extra rookie spots

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

One bails the other out but they are not the same. Would the afl block it if Bowes chose Essendon? No they would not.

Regardless, this is not about things the AFL didn't want, it's about the things they did
They should have blocked the Bowes trade. Give Suns priority picks then watch then trade away a top 10 first round pick with Bowes to the premiers and not get at least a late first or second round pick back.

Spot on.

Two 2nd round picks (lets call them what they are) that are only guaranteed to even exist if they are traded this offseason? This is just how the AFL tries to fix the problem they created last year by giving NMFC picks that had to be traded immediately, thus eroding their trade value.
Well it makes senses doesn't it

How are two 17 year old kids that can't play footy for you for 18 months going to fix the issue

North need to improve next year. They can't afford to have another bottom of the ladder 4 win season.

They should have blocked the Bowes trade. Give Suns priority picks then watch then trade away a top 10 first round pick with Bowes to the premiers and not get at least a late first or second round pick back.
Classic case of wanting something to go away because it hurts your feelings. The fact is that the part that balanced the trade out was something that fans don't have any visibility on and no first hand experience of. Fans don't know how to value what the Suns traded out do it looks lop sided. The Suns were the ones who put pick 7 on the table because their assessment was that they couldn't move Bowes without it regardless of who he was traded to. Would the cats have taken a lesser trade? Probably, but that was the offer they put out.

You can choose to stay angry about it or you can listen to the details on how that happened.

Also. The cats buying a pick with cap space relief is not related to a team getting picks without paying anything at all

Classic case of wanting something to go away because it hurts your feelings. The fact is that the part that balanced the trade out was something that fans don't have any visibility on and no first hand experience of. Fans don't know how to value what the Suns traded out do it looks lop sided. The Suns were the ones who put pick 7 on the table because their assessment was that they couldn't move Bowes without it regardless of who he was traded to. Would the cats have taken a lesser trade? Probably, but that was the offer they put out.

You can choose to stay angry about it or you can listen to the details on how that happened.

Also. The cats buying a pick with cap space relief is not related to a team getting picks without paying anything at all
Not really. I dont think the fact Geelong were the beneficiaries really matters, particularly with how the year turned out for Geelong

We want it to go away because its a fricken dumb rule that is completely illogical when you match it up with what free agency is.

The Gresham/Shiel debacle is just a sideshow from what was the Bowes trade and its creating a bit of a debacle for the AFL they cant get themselves out of.

Fully expect we are a year away from North giving a club pick 19,20,21 and taking on say Zac Williams contract so Carlton can give Kayne Turner a 2 year 3 mill deal and North get pick 2 as compensation

Not really. I dont think the fact Geelong were the beneficiaries really matters, particularly with how the year turned out for Geelong

We want it to go away because its a fricken dumb rule that is completely illogical when you match it up with what free agency is.

The Gresham/Shiel debacle is just a sideshow from what was the Bowes trade and its creating a bit of a debacle for the AFL they cant get themselves out of.

Fully expect we are a year away from North giving a club pick 19,20,21 and taking on say Zac Williams contract so Carlton can give Kayne Turner a 2 year 3 mill deal and North get pick 2 as compensation
far fetched of course, but you're right, this is the kind of idiocy being encouraged by 'the rules'

Outrage aside, what would people do with these three picks?

Trade up? Target players? Take them?
Take a plyer this year, for sure. Good tall prospects around that mark.

Could package next year's and bring them forward for a mid first-rounder also for the same reason as above.

Should set North up for talls for the next decade.

How is it at all connected to free agency or compensation picks?

Id also say if North trade up to Gold Coasts pick, dont pick Sanders, pick Watson

Watson is a 100% need and i feel Sanders is a bit more vanilla that they just donnt need now. I see Sanders out of the best 22 and Watson in from day 1 is all
100% agree. No need to take Sanders now as we're absolutely set for mids and McKercher is too good to not draft.

Take a plyer this year, for sure. Good tall prospects around that mark.

Could package next year's and bring them forward for a mid first-rounder also for the same reason as above.

Should set North up for talls for the next decade.
Good prospects will be gone by 19 for that spot. 19 is basically pick 26 and because of that its greatest use is points to give to Gold Coast for pick 5

Its why the compensation package is just so fricken dumb. They are kind of forced into trading it out for pick 5 to pick up a non-KPP who wont help their competitiveness next year for example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good prospects will be gone by 19 for that spot. 19 is basically pick 26 and because of that its greatest use is points to give to Gold Coast for pick 5

Its why the compensation package is just so fricken dumb. They are kind of forced into trading it out for pick 5 to pick up a non-KPP who wont help their competitiveness next year for example
Draft is pretty stacked with talls, all the way to pick 30. Yes, the picks get 'pushed out', we pretty much already know who's being taken with the academy selections/FS', so only the McKay compo and Ess/StK FA attempted rort is going to make any unforeseen changes to the order.

So whilst pick 19 may end up as 25, the same players are still going to be available at 25 as they were at 19, bar potentially the 2 from the FA compo.

There's not magically another 6 players disappearing from what's available at 19 to what's available at 25, because we already know who the NGA and father son picks are going to be.

Draft is pretty stacked with talls, all the way to pick 30. Yes, the picks get 'pushed out', we pretty much already know who's being taken with the academy selections/FS', so only the McKay compo and Ess/StK FA attempted rort is going to make any unforeseen changes to the order.

So whilst pick 19 may end up as 25, the same players are still going to be available at 25 as they were at 19, bar potentially the 2 from the FA compo.

There's not magically another 6 players disappearing from what's available at 19 to what's available at 25, because we already know who the NGA and father son picks are going to be.
common sense 👍

Im a 2023 draft hater myself though. I dont see much value past 15. For our pick 20 id rather go with a project mid as opposed to the talls being talked about for that position in the draft

Im a 2023 draft hater myself though. I dont see much value past 15. For our pick 20 id rather go with a project mid as opposed to the talls being talked about for that position in the draft
I'd take Zakotelsky in a heartbeat. Hoping he'd push back further but he was utterly dominant in the WAFl colts grand final, albeit, is is only colts.

Would be a perfect replacement for McGovern.

Most of the mid prospects around the mark don't personally float my boat but I'd take a punt on DeMattia if he were available. Pacey, attacking, although disposal a bit suspect. Close friend of Reid also.

Id also say if North trade up to Gold Coasts pick, dont pick Sanders, pick Watson

Watson is a 100% need and i feel Sanders is a bit more vanilla that they just donnt need now. I see Sanders out of the best 22 and Watson in from day 1 is all

If we take Watson would that then make it one of the smallest priority picks ever given?

Well it makes senses doesn't it

How are two 17 year old kids that can't play footy for you for 18 months going to fix the issue

North need to improve next year. They can't afford to have another bottom of the ladder 4 win season.
Its an interesting System but at the same time its a flawed system.

Its like saying that Your an Alcoholic.

NMFC: I am an Alcoholic and I need help.

AFL: Heres some money to get more Alcohol.

NMFC: Ok then....

Now I can understand why non North Melbourne fans are up in Arms about it.

I dont Mind North grabbing one end of 1st round or early 2nd round pick in that pick 20-25 range. If they wanna trade it for a 22-25 year old experierenced player with 40-60 games then fine.

In a way, North Melbourne are better off with 6-7 picks in the draft, use 4 or 5 of them to get teenagers and use the last 2 picks to grab a mature aged 20-25 year old.

In a way North can "Survive" a 4 wins or less season. But in a way why would they want to improve next season if they are gonna get another 2 late 1sts or early 2nd rounders next season?

Dont get me wrong, I sat through freos 2016-21 rebuild. Only thing I disliked about the rebuild was 2016 when freo went 0-10 and went 4-18. From 2017-20, dockers got 7-9 wins each season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back