AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2023 [GF: North vs Brisbane @ Ikon Park, Sunday 3 December @ 2:30pm - NM 27 - 44 BL]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jas suffers from the Carey Syndrome. Judged to a different standard to everyone else
Carey didn't get votes because he was a dick to the umpires. They just have an irrational block against Jasmine, I don't get it

Jas suffers from the Carey Syndrome. Judged to a different standard to everyone else
Im beginning to think so…..stats back her, coaches nominate her, Marinoff knew it…heck even the room was thinking it…even the bookies…..this is the best example of overhauling the system and removing the voting from them..with all the evidence there either incompetent, easily swayed by media or blatantly cheating or as lm leaning towards all .😡

I actually think everything we've seen this week: GF tickets selling out in 3 hours thus locking out thousand of our most faithful supporters, no Ferguson in the All-Australian Best 22, Jazzie not coming in the top 5 for the league BnF, Kelli Underwood constantly undermining us, having to play OUR Grand Final at CARLTONs home ground, the fact they can't even get our logo right last night, it all shows a massive amount of disrespect. I keep thinking would this happen if it was Collingwood? and the answer always seems to be no.

Sunday is a golden chance for our club to get some much needed respect for our great club. Go well girls.

I actually think everything we've seen this week: GF tickets selling out in 3 hours thus locking out thousand of our most faithful supporters, no Ferguson in the All-Australian Best 22, Jazzie not coming in the top 5 for the league BnF, Kelli Underwood constantly undermining us, having to play OUR Grand Final at CARLTONs home ground, the fact they can't even get our logo right last night, it all shows a massive amount of disrespect. I keep thinking would this happen if it was Collingwood? and the answer always seems to be no.

Sunday is a golden chance for our club to get some much needed respect for our great club. Go well girls.
Absolutely…one can hear Eddie going nuts if it happened ….

Carey didn't get votes because he was a dick to the umpires. They just have an irrational block against Jasmine, I don't get it
There was an article on the AFLW website yesterday saying it's an assigned reporter who submits the 3-2-1 for best and fairest, not umpires.

IF AFL.com.au's votes are any guide, North Melbourne superstar Jasmine Garner may finally break through for a maiden AFLW best and fairest tonight.

After each match of the home and away season, the reporter assigned to cover the game submits their 3-2-1 for best performances, with Garner polling an incredible 26 out of a possible 30 votes.

Last season's best and fairest Ally Anderson had been poised to take the lead at round eight, but did not poll as the Lions lost to St Kilda and her teammates were awarded votes against Melbourne to round out the season.

Is that true, or am I reading the article incorrectly?

There was an article on the AFLW website yesterday saying it's an assigned reporter who submits the 3-2-1 for best and fairest, not umpires.

Is that true, or am I reading the article incorrectly?
That's how AFL.com.au comes up with their vote totals. To forecast the award. The actual award is definitely still voted on by the umpires.

I haven't been through all the votes but the 2 games that stood out last night were the geelong and brisbane games. Against Geelong I think Emma King got the 3 votes with 10 disposals (Jas 1 vote) and the Brissy game went to the girl who had 8 touches (Jas a big fat zero). Even if Jas had got 3 votes in both those games she would have been well behind. It was Ash playing so well along side Jas that gave the medal to Mon.

And this is what has been missed in all this. Ash has had a brilliant year and was runner up! Great work Ash.

That's how AFL.com.au comes up with their vote totals. To forecast the award. The actual award is definitely still voted on by the umpires.
That's what I thought, but the way it read, it came across differently. Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An ump I used to work with mentioned that the Geesh didn't like Carey and that he generally didn't like North players because of their abusive backchat. The Carey thing seemed to be deep seeded the way I interpreted it.

How your club polled, top vote-getters

AFLW B&F: How your club polled, top vote-getters​

Gemma Bastiani breaks down how your club fared during the 2023 AFLW best-and-fairest count
By Gemma Bastiani
_2020-3-Way-Straight-Splitscreen-Defcon-Template-1-.jpg

Jasmine Garner, Monique Conti, Anne Hatchard. Pictures: AFL Photos

RICHMOND midfielder Mon Conti was crowned the AFLW's Best and Fairest player of the season on Monday evening, with her 23 votes a new record for the award.
Five different clubs polled 40 or more votes, with grand finalist North Melbourne earning the most with 47, led by star midfield pair Ash Riddell and Jasmine Garner, while five clubs boasted eight different vote-getters across the evening.
So, how did your team poll?

adelaide.jpg

Total votes: 43
Anne Hatchard - 13
Ebony Marinoff - 11
Niamh Kelly - 10
Caitlin Gould - 2
Chelsea Randall - 2
Madison Newman - 2
Teah Charlton - 2
Rachelle Martin - 1
Anne Hatchard led the Crows with 13 votes, taking her career tally to 68, while Ebony Marinoff wasn't too far behind with 11. Niamh Kelly, who across her first four AFLW seasons had been awarded just three AFLW best-and-fairest votes had her best year yet, coming in third with 10 thanks to a career-best – and All-Australian – season.

brisbane.jpg

Total votes: 41
Ally Anderson - 14
Dakota Davidson - 7
Sophie Conway - 6
Belle Dawes - 4
Tahlia Hickie - 4
Cathy Svarc - 3
Courtney Hodder - 2
Orla O'Dwyer - 1
All-Australian trio Ally Anderson, Dakota Davidson and Sophie Conway topped the Lions' vote-getters as they prepare for a fifth Grand Final on Sunday. The latter pair each earned the most votes of their careers, while last season's winner Anderson was rewarded for yet another strong season.

carlton.jpg

Total votes: 23
Breann Moody - 10
Keeley Skepper - 5
Darcy Vescio - 2
Gab Pound - 2
Keeley Sherar - 2
Mimi Hill - 1
Mua Laloiofi - 1
In a resurgent season for the Blues, it was two-time All-Australian ruck Breann Moody polling the most votes, albeit thanks to her work in a different role this year. Playing far more time in attack, Moody was awarded 10 votes from the umpires, including two best-on-ground performances.

collingwood.jpg

Total votes: 23
Britt Bonnici - 12
Sabrina Frederick - 4
Brianna Davey - 3
Lauren Brazzale - 2
Aishling Sheridan - 1
Emily Smith - 1
Returning from an ACL injury, Britt Bonnici led the way for Collingwood this season. Her 12 votes came from four best-on-ground performances against Fremantle, St Kilda, Brisbane, and Carlton, while Sabrina Frederick polled her first votes since 2018.

essendon.jpg

Total votes: 38
Bonnie Toogood - 15
Maddy Prespakis - 10
Georgia Nanscawen - 9
Jacqui Vogt - 2
Brooke Brown - 1
Daria Bannister - 1
Star Essendon pair Bonnie Toogood and Maddy Prespakis were rewarded for strong seasons, leading the side to its first finals series and earning 15 and 10 votes, respectively. Meanwhile heart and soul player Georgia Nanscawen made her Bomber debut with a bang, recording the maximum three votes for her performance in the side's win over Hawthorn.

fremantle.jpg

Total votes: 22
Aine Tighe - 7
Ange Stannett - 3
Gabby O'Sullivan - 3
Kiara Bowers - 3
Mim Strom - 3
Emma O'Driscoll - 2
Dana East - 1
Although not a season that saw Fremantle reach finals, the club had seven players recognised for their performances throughout the year. Star forward Aine Tighe's round three outing against Hawthorn was rewarded with the maximum votes, while reliable ruck Mim Strom recorded her first AFLW best-and-fairest votes in her fifth season.

geelong.jpg

Total votes: 45
Amy McDonald - 16
Georgie Prespakis - 14
Nina Morrison - 6
Chloe Scheer - 5
Aishling Moloney - 3
Kate Surman - 1
As part of Geelong's push to a preliminary final, star midfield trio Amy McDonald, Georgie Prespakis and Nina Morrison were recognised for their impact this season. McDonald's 16 votes was not only her best return of her career, it landed her in equal-second place across the competition as a whole.

gold-coast.jpg

Total votes: 39
Claudia Whitfort - 16
Charlie Rowbottom - 8
Jac Dupuy - 4
Niamh McLaughlin - 4
Jamie Stanton - 3
Darcie Davies - 2
Lucy Single - 1
Tara Bohanna - 1
Claudia Whitfort's breakout season in Gold Coast's midfield was rewarded, finishing equal-second in the count with 16 votes, beating out star teammate Charlie Rowbottom for club plaudits. The spread of votes for the club was also impressive, with eight different players recognised throughout the count.

gws-giants.jpg

Total votes: 14
Alyce Parker - 7
Zarlie Goldsworthy - 4
Alicia Eva - 2
Haneen Zreika - 1
Despite missing the last three games of the season, Alyce Parker led the Giants' vote-getters once again with seven. Rising Star winner Zarlie Goldsworthy continued her upward trajectory, earning the first votes of her career to date, including the maximum three votes for her five-goal performance against Carlton in round eight.

hawthorn.jpg

Total votes: 17
Emily Bates - 5
Tilly Lucas-Rodd - 4
Greta Bodey - 3
Kaitlyn Ashmore - 3
Tahlia Fellows - 2
Boom recruit Emily Bates led the way for Hawthorn this year with five votes, including a best-on-ground performance in her side's narrow loss to St Kilda in round six, while fellow former Lion Greta Bodey was rewarded with maximum votes for her four goals to beat Port Adelaide in round nine.

melbourne.jpg

Total votes: 46
Kate Hore - 12
Tyla Hanks - 12
Eden Zanker - 6
Paxy Paxman - 6
Alyssa Bannan - 5
Eliza West - 2
Lauren Pearce - 2
Liv Purcell - 1
Captain and vice-captain Kate Hore and Tyla Hanks couldn't be split for the Demons, each finishing the night with 12 votes – career-best returns for both players. The duo were each awarded three best-on-ground votes across the evening, while first-time All-Australian Eden Zanker and Melbourne stalwart Paxy Paxman recorded six votes.

north-melbourne.jpg

Total votes: 47
Ash Riddell - 16
Jasmine Garner - 14
Emma King - 6
Tahlia Randall - 6
Emma Kearney - 3
Jenna Bruton - 1
Tess Craven - 1
Across seven different players North Melbourne polled the most votes of the count with 47, including equal-second place for Ash Riddell. Her 16 votes were the second-most of her career behind her 17 in season six. Meanwhile expectant challenger Jasmine Garner finished with 14 votes, and although not enough to claim her first title, it was the highest return of her career.

port-adelaide.jpg

Total votes: 16
Abbey Dowrick - 3
Ash Saint - 3
Erin Phillips - 3
Matilda Scholz - 3
Julia Teakle - 2
Gemma Houghton - 1
Maria Moloney - 1
Although not polling huge numbers as a club, Port Adelaide had seven different players recognised for performances throughout the year. All-Australian squad member Abbey Dowrick landed three votes for her work against West Coast in round five, while Erin Phillips and Ash Saint each earned best-on-ground votes throughout the evening as well.

richmond.jpg

Total votes: 34
Monique Conti - 23
Grace Egan - 5
Emelia Yassir - 2
Katie Brennan - 2
Gabby Seymour - 1
Poppy Kelly - 1
The star of the night was winner Mon Conti who polled more votes than any player has before, including six best-on-ground performances, and votes in nine out of 10 games. Conti earned more than two thirds of Richmond's votes for the evening, with midfield partner Grace Egan earning the second most with five.

st-kilda.jpg

Total votes: 26
Jesse Wardlaw - 7
Georgia Patrikios - 5
Ashleigh Richards - 3
Jaimee Lambert - 3
Nat Exon - 3
Tyanna Smith - 3
Hannah Priest - 1
Simone Nalder - 1
Recruit Jesse Wardlaw is the Saint who caught the umpires' eye this season, leading the side with seven votes, including maximum votes for her three goals against the Western Bulldogs in round five, and two against her old side in St Kilda's upset round nine win.

sydney.jpg

Total votes: 35
Chloe Molloy - 16
Laura Gardiner - 7
Ally Morphett - 7
Cynthia Hamilton - 3
Rebecca Privitelli - 2
Sydney's three All-Australians unsurprisingly led the way for the club in the vote count. Co-captain Chloe Molloy finished with 16 votes, landing in equal-second across the evening, while ruck and midfielder Ally Morphett and Laura Gardiner earned seven votes each.

west-coast.jpg

Total votes: 15
Ella Roberts - 8
Emma Swanson - 6
Aisling McCarthy - 1
Young gun Ella Roberts landed the most votes for the Eagles with eight including two best-on-ground performances – one in round one where she won the Western Derby best on ground medal, and another in round 10 as the upstart Eagles challenged minor premier Adelaide.

western-bulldogs-afl-banner.jpg

Total votes: 14
Ellie Blackburn - 10
Celine Moody - 2
Isabelle Pritchard - 1
Rylie Wilcox - 1
Despite a tough season for the club both on-field and off it, Bulldogs captain Ellie Blackburn remained their best performer. Finishing the evening with 10 votes from a season that bore just one win, Blackburn was named best-on-ground for her round two outing against Hawthorn, and in the club's sole win over the Eagles in round nine.

My bet is that they pre-recorded the highlight reels and the staff involved in the production knew exactly what the outcome was. Kelli might have been subliminally signalling to the football world that she is a very important person during the commentary call on Sunday.
Or maybe she’s watched enough AFLW, knows a good deal about the game and made a correct call.

Or it might reflect that, despite the fact she says some weird stuff, she watches and knows things -she said Riddell had her best season and it was very possible that she and Garner would split the votes, and that’s what happened.

I reckon Marinoff and Hatchard are ok with sharing votes and missing the medal because they get to share premierships. Garner and Riddell will be the same if this weekend goes their way.
I thought Riddell had less impact than last year to be honest - come at me people. :)

On topic my personal feeling is that the Brownlow and most other awards are as compromised as the fixturing.

Well the coaches votes who l think would have a better handle on the vibe of the game made interesting reading….time for that overhaul l think…

View attachment 1862289
Sooooo different to how the umpires saw the season, almost no crossover.

Everybody know who the game's best player is, except for the Muppets in Yellow.

Congrats Jasmine, well deserved after another brilliant season.

A Premiership and a GF BoG will top it all off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back