Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne were in a similar hole in the early 2010s - out of finals for years, gutted all the older players, uncompetitive, coaches booted left and right, looked utterly hopeless with no way out - and they eventually found a way.

Roos should scour the VFL and similar leagues for mature players with leadership ability. Don't have to be superstars, just blokes you know are able to lead men and will bust their guts for the chance at playing AFL. Much better than trying to keep bringing in other teams' discards that are just looking for a payday.

Sadly I see North in a similar to us in 2012 and after losing great clubman in Goldstein, Ziebell and Cunnington there is really nothing left to help LDU, Larkey and the like to develop and become leaders.

While not household names during our rebuild years but recruiting Bernie Vince, Daniel Cross, Dom Tyson, Cam Pederson and Shannon Byrnes to bring some leadership and hope was essential to helping Nathan Jones, Lynden Dunn, Mark Jamar to keep us competitive and ease the burden on Gawn, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca and Oliver.

North really need access to some uncontracted players (say 150 games plus) looking for a new opportunity or a chance to return home.

Melbourne were in a similar hole in the early 2010s - out of finals for years, gutted all the older players, uncompetitive, coaches booted left and right, looked utterly hopeless with no way out - and they eventually found a way.

Roos should scour the VFL and similar leagues for mature players with leadership ability. Don't have to be superstars, just blokes you know are able to lead men and will bust their guts for the chance at playing AFL. Much better than trying to keep bringing in other teams' discards that are just looking for a payday.
Demons got out of the mire when Roos came in and made some moves. Bringing in Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross were 2 great moves and then each year tried to bring in a experienced body from somewhere. Lumumba was a good pickup for setting standards at the time as was Lewis.

Rather then a Daniel Cross, North went for a Dylan Stephens instead and this doesnt work. They also tried to be cute and clever hoping Pink/Nigou might be some form of long term player somehow instead of the smarter move of bringing in Joel Hamling to lead the defense.

Overall I think North need AFL experience. Id be tapping on Jack Macrae, Nick Haynes, Caleb Daniels doors as well as looking at a cheaper veteran get like a Rory Laird or Ollie Wines

Id want Haynes, Daniel and Laird myself. Will cost a packet of chips between them all but Haynes wll give leadership down back, Laird in the middle and Daniel up forward

Demons got out of the mire when Roos came in and made some moves. Bringing in Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross were 2 great moves and then each year tried to bring in a experienced body from somewhere. Lumumba was a good pickup for setting standards at the time as was Lewis.

Rather then a Daniel Cross, North went for a Dylan Stephens instead and this doesnt work. They also tried to be cute and clever hoping Pink/Nigou might be some form of long term player somehow instead of the smarter move of bringing in Joel Hamling to lead the defense.

Overall I think North need AFL experience. Id be tapping on Jack Macrae, Nick Haynes, Caleb Daniels doors as well as looking at a cheaper veteran get like a Rory Laird or Ollie Wines

Id want Haynes, Daniel and Laird myself. Will cost a packet of chips between them all but Haynes wll give leadership down back, Laird in the middle and Daniel up forward
Already forgotten Liam Shiels?

One guy I recon could be worthwhile would be Sidebottom, they need to target players from good systems. It shouldn’t matter if you pay overs or whatever. Just get some experience in all lines out there (defence, mid, fwd). These players will teach the others standards at worsts

Already forgotten Liam Shiels?

Bringing a player out of retirement is hardly comparable to when Roos was trading pick 25 for Bernie Vince for example, a player who was never going to be a part of Demons next premiership but was capable of 3 more years at AFL level …

It is also needed across all 3 lines and probably needs to be 6 players not 1

They don't deserve anything as they aren't playing their best team in games they could win eg Wardlaw managed this week instead of last week in a game they were never going to win
He looked to be struggling last week from a couple of knocks. It was definitely looking like he needed a week off.

Recruiting issues aside - Clarkson looks shot as head coach. Starting to look a lot like the punch drunk boxer who didn’t know when to retire or at least have a good break from the game to recharge his batteries.
In your opinion, has Clarkson ran with an outdated game plan expecting the same result? Or, is his game plan not executable because of the gulf in talent between North Melbourne and the Hawks of 10 years ago? Or a combination of the two?

The big thing that also helped clarko at hawthorn is the 2004 draft

3 top 10 picks
2 of which became generational forwards and the other a 300 game midfielder

Clint young in the rookie draft was handy aswell

Midfield, Flanks and wings are decent - well AFL quality.

The simple errors are player driven. You dont see good players make so many mistakes.

You cant execute gameplan without the players. North needs to forget about the draft and throw some money around & shore up the defence as a priority. Lukoscious and Howard is a good start.. get Lukoscious and throw Sheez in the midde.

Agreed to an extent. He'd be getting key'd on more specifically if he wasn't playing along side guys Yeo and Kelly. The coaches had him planned on playing him at half back this year then saw how ineffectual we has in the practice games and decided to abandon it and move him back to the middle and split time deep forward.
Yes I agree with all you are saying, hope you don’t think I’m putting an attack on your club, I’m more saying how badly we would have messed around with him if we had him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you trade a first rounder for Dylan Stephens
No priority pick for you
I agree that Stephens is woeful. He is not the type of player we should be bringing into the club. But the trade was a future end of first (early twenties pick) + 44 > Stephens + 25. We didn't give up much in the trade, though giving him a four-year contract is horrific.

Can't give the idiot list managers they've got another set of priority picks when they simply refuse to address their weaknesses.

No matter how good Duursma might end up they should have taken Curtin and everyone knew that. Just as they should have taken McDonald before Phillips years earlier. The complete refusal to draft quality KPP is going to haunt them for probably another 4-5 years imo and by then half their mids are every chance to have deserted the joint.

If armchair experts genuinely have more of a clue than your professional list team then they need to be fired. Again.

No more priority picks unless they come with the condition that they're used only on KPP players, it's beyond a joke at this point.
No push back from me.

Rawlings and Clayton have to go.
This is the first step.

He will butcher the mid season draft and he will butcher all of our picks after pick 1.

I actually agree with most that priority picks aren’t the solution.
We don't have the right people off field (Clarko and Viney aside as this is their first full season)

I dont expect supporters to agree with this, but I hope you are all starting to see giving us a priority pick that then has to be traded does not help us. It diminishes the value of the pick.
If the AFLs goal is too see us competitive again, than what good is it having Dylan Stephens and Zac Fisher on 4 year deals ffs

Id rather much get soft cap relief, as well as be able to get some salary cap relief for a couple of veterans who can actually nurture this group.
Our current captains in McDonald and Simpkin are not leaders and are part of the problem.
Recklessly Rawlings renewed one to 2026 and the other to 2029.

There are problems all over the place that young talent alone isn't going to fix.

Last edited:
This is the first step.

He will butcher the mid season draft and he will butcher all of our picks after pick 1.

I actually agree with most that priority picks are the solution.
We don't have the right people off field (Clarko and Viney aside as this is their first full season)

I dont expect supporters to agree with this, but I hope you are all starting to see giving us a priority pick that then has to be traded does not help us. It diminishes the value of the pick.
If the AFLs goal is too see us competitive again, than what good is it having Dylan Stephens and Zac Fisher on 4 year deals ffs

Id rather much get soft cap relief, as well as be able to get some salary cap relief for a couple of veterans who can actually nurture this group.
Our current captains in McDonald and Simpkin are not leaders and are part of the problem.

There are problems all over the place that young talent alone isn't going to fix.
Best thing for North would be the AFL allowing pick purchasing this year so u can just delist half the absolute cash leeches and just buy out the top teams picks from them. Looking at Carlton we'd absolutely love an extra 500k in cap space to try and get a free agent with our picks likely being chewed up by matching bids on the Campo twins.

North could easily delist millions in wasted cap space and buy a boatload of picks to help get the talent in.

That being said Fisher and Stephens on 4 and 5 year deals is a deadset disgrace by ur list team. All should get fired, as should Sonja.

What happened to that tall bloke north got in the mid season draft a few years ago? Was pick 1.

Cant remember his name but remember some people banging on about him being a star etc etc.

Never heard anything since.
He had a pea heart and was subsequently delisted. He could hardly get near it in the reserves...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is the first step.

I actually agree with most that priority picks are the solution.

Simpkin contracted until 2029? May not even be in your best team by the end of the year

Best thing for North would be the AFL allowing pick purchasing this year so u can just delist half the absolute cash leeches and just buy out the top teams picks from them. Looking at Carlton we'd absolutely love an extra 500k in cap space to try and get a free agent with our picks likely being chewed up by matching bids on the Campo twins.

North could easily delist millions in wasted cap space and buy a boatload of picks to help get the talent in.

That being said Fisher and Stephens on 4 and 5 year deals is a deadset disgrace by ur list team. All should get fired, as should Sonja.
Idea has merit but not sure how it goes in practice.

Our list management has been terrible.
Not only are the captains on long term deals that look pathetic on paper, but we gifted Stephens and Fisher 4 years and all of Corr, Stephenson, Tucker and CCJ still have another year to run on their deals.

This is the first step.

I actually agree with most that priority picks aren’t the solution.

You didn't have to trade the picks you did for Fisher and Stephens. Fishers trade didn't even involve a priority pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back