Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh really?

Carlton's demise was due to punishment rather than poor list management.

Carlton never marched all their senior talent out of the building in one go.

Carlton never traded their #1 pick after just 12 months.

Carlton never let a restricted free agent in their prime walk to get draft picks.

Carlton tried to sign gun players (e.g. Judd) to get better quickly.

North Melbourne's sole focus seems to be having a good draft hand.

At no point have they done anything that indicates they are focussed on getting better now.

Enough is enough. Time for the AFL to step in and end it.
Maybe that’s why you gave away your whole forward line by 2015 and had absolutely no one by that stage. Don’t throw sticks you also had two premiership coaches in 2003-2015 who couldn’t help you back then.
Our number one draft pick was a con artist and we ended up getting compensated the year later anyway, for a comparison you had to give away josh Kennedy who ended up the second best key forward of the last 10 years for Judd and did an awful job replacing him, while we’re at it, explain to me how good your drafting was between 2009-2014, who else besides cripps made an impact?

Once 19th team comes in 2027/28 need to look at 20th team by 2025/36 my belief it should be in WA but out of Perth maybe Bumbrey? But announce it around 2029 gives them time to all off field and on field positions filled and 25K to 30k stadium with a roof then give them the Eagles 1st up then the Dockers in round 2 then after that.
It’s time the AFL starting thinking about the game.

The Carlton deflections are equally hilarious and inaccurate. You're way worse than we ever were.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Can't wait for us to get some more handouts this year.

interested rubbing hands GIF

FB: Richards - Jones - Comben
HB: Dale - Naughton - McDonald
C: Sheezel - LDU - McKercher
HF: Powell - Larkey - Simpkin
FF: Weightman - JUH - Darcy
R: Xerri - Bontempelli - Macrae
I: Duursma - Sanders - Williams - Wardlaw

Let English go west.
Libba retires due to concussions.
Treloar, B. Smith and Lobb traded to a contender

Keep your pick of the rest as depth.

Get Bevo back with Clarko.

Before Tassie were annouced I was in for reducing the number of Vic teams. Would be happy to see St Kilda merge with the Dees or Hawks if that's what it took.

Can't keep carrying small market VIC teams.

Carlton had 19 wins between 2015-2018. North Melbourne has had 12 wins in the last 4 seasons.

The Carlton deflections are equally hilarious and inaccurate. You're way worse than we ever were.

Fact is the Kangaroos are the worst club since Fitzroy.

The AFL said enough was enough when they won just 1 game in 1996.

Time for them to step in and do the same here.

Seeing Carlton fans in here defending why they're not the worst club to have ever existed warms my heart.

North already gifted picks 19 & 20 in this years draft.

Just need to get on with it now or have their licence to be forever the smallest fish in the biggest pond revoked. That would solve two problems in one go, the yearly begging and the Tasmania bye each week.

The AFL is run as a business and a good business would make this sensible decision.
They were gifted pick 3 also.
The afl says they didn't factor in the new cap, but in reality, if they did. They get an end of first for McKay, not an early first

Once 19th team comes in 2027/28 need to look at 20th team by 2025/36 my belief it should be in WA but out of Perth maybe Bumbrey? But announce it around 2029 gives them time to all off field and on field positions filled and 25K to 30k stadium with a roof then give them the Eagles 1st up then the Dockers in round 2 then after that.
We don’t have enough people to generate interest in a 3rd team.

Plus Bunbury is a small place. Would never get people down there for games.

Don’t know where the 20th team will come from but I don’t think it’s going to get much interest. Can’t be in NT as it’s too hot during the season and all the other states have 2 teams now. It’s either play with byes or merge/fold a team.
I’m guessing it’ll just be playing with byes.

Don’t know where the 20th team will come from but I don’t think it’s going to get much interest. Can’t be in NT as it’s too hot during the season and all the other states have 2 teams now. It’s either play with byes or merge/fold a team.
There is plenty of population for a third Perth based team, especially if they sold tickets at a cheaper rate than WC & Freo. WA pays extortionate prices for Footy compared to other states so getting 25K to games will still make them break even before more TV revenue.

Once WC rise again in 3-5 years, the waiting list will be long and Freo will be chockers too while contending. WA3 is the only logical choice for a 20 team comp and it will reduce the travel burden on WA teams by 1 game a year.

Let English go west.

Before Tassie were annouced I was in for reducing the number of Vic teams. Would be happy to see St Kilda merge with the Dees or Hawks if that's what it took.

I would love it if they tried a merger first rather than a 20th team. If it works, it gives Melbourne another member of the big 4 and a very solid club. It then becomes the blue print for slowly stabilizing the competition and having the right number of teams in the right locations. It might even prompt the smaller clubs to offer it up as a solution when the next 19th team is proposed or if there is a bigger expansion on the cards.

If it does not, and fans leave for other clubs then it doesn't happen again. Merging with neighbors will still be better than what happened to Fitzroy in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If North don’t come up with a plan to stand on their own two feet financially they will be first in the gun to be relocated or fend for themselves by being cut off from the tit of the AFL.

They need to stop being seen as the handout club on and off the field.

Seems evident that some of their fans are struggling with this concept so will be a hard habit for those in charge to break.

I would love it if they tried a merger first rather than a 20th team. If it works, it gives Melbourne another member of the big 4 and a very solid club. It then becomes the blue print for slowly stabilizing the competition and having the right number of teams in the right locations. It might even prompt the smaller clubs to offer it up as a solution when the next 19th team is proposed or if there is a bigger expansion on the cards.

If it does not, and fans leave for other clubs then it doesn't happen again. Merging with neighbors will still be better than what happened to Fitzroy in my opiopinion
As a nearly 40 year member of one of the small clubs, I won't be supporting a merged entity. If north and the western bulldogs merged, I'd just watch another sport, and I suspect a lot of other supporters would be lost to the game too.

We already tried this in 1996 with Fitzroy and the other clubs vetoed it. Melbourne and Hawthorn fans agree that not merging has turned out for the better for their respective clubs.

We might die as an AFL club, and be a VFL or second tier club, and I'd rather follow that team than some mongrel hybrid western kangaroos or North bulldogs.

Let English go west.

Don't want English

Spot on, always have a giggle when people chime in with stuff like Bunbury or the likes, had a couple suggest Gero 😄

The big issue for North when Tassie come in is that they and any other underperforming club have lost leverage in claiming their club is a solid contributor to tv rights.
With 19 clubs the difference will be nominal to that of 18 clubs.

The need to build a strong supporter base, sustainably strong revenue and an asset base that holds them in good stead if the AFL decide to make clubs more financially accountable for themselves.

The relocation option ship has sailed. To move back to an even number of clubs it’s either a merger, eradication or addition of another club.

The relocation option ship has sailed. To move back to an even number of clubs it’s either a merger, eradication or addition of another club.
And the only realistic one is the last option. A 20th club is a far more likely option than a merger or relocation of an existing one.

This fixes the North/Dogs situation.. but what do you propose we do with St Kilda?

Literally said in my post - Merge us with the Dees or Hawks

Bring in Tassie + Canberra or NT20.

He’s already merged North and the Dogs but didn’t say where they are going. Canberra..?

Ship St Kilda off to Darwin/Cairns/Townsville as a rebranded “Northern Saints”.

West Melbourne Kangaroos.
Keep the current North white and blue kit, just change the middle stripe to red and make it a bit thicker.
Clash jumper would be the Dogs blue kit.

Melbourne Saints.
Keep the Saints jumper. Change the black to navy blue. Full red socks to call back to the 'Redlegs'
Clash jumper would be the Dees royal blue kit with white shorts.

There's 200k+ members between the 4 clubs. If the merged options can keep even half of those then they are more than fine. It's still less dead assistance money the AFL need to fork out.

Use that cash to launch Tassie and eitehr Canberra or an NT team.

Keep the comp at 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back