Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

May have been done but John Davison - Canadian born played for South Australia and for Canada. Made an unbelievable hundred in the 2003 World Cup vs West Indies

May have been done but John Davison - Canadian born played for South Australia and for Canada. Made an unbelievable hundred in the 2003 World Cup vs West Indies

Hahaha I was literally thinking of him half an hour ago while I was mowing the lawns and trying to recall some associate players.

Absolutely bog ordinary shield player who suddenly produces this batting masterpiece.

Anderson Cummins. Pace bowler who played some matches for the Windies in the early 90s. Then came back for Canada in the 07 WC at about 40 years old.

No Cummins, No Goings.
Banner in west indies crowd after he got left out in, I think, 1991 against Australia.

They had some crackers during the time after their dominance ended.

Patterson Thompson, Reon King, Vasbert Drakes, Cameron Cuffy, Pedro Collins (who was Fidel Edwards' half brother), Merv Dillon who was probably the lone half decent quick they had between Walsh and maybe Jerome Taylor or Kemar Roach when they were good.
Darren Powell, Franklin Rose. They tried dozens of them. some of the batsmen were equally unmemorable.
Dave Joseph, Sylvester Joseph, Xavier Marshall, Robert Samuels (Marlon's brother), Suruj Ragoonath, Clayton Lambert, Adrian Griffith, Floyd Reifer who captained against Bangladesh when all the main players were locked out.
Nehamiah perry.....

They had some ball tearers

Myself and a mate were discussing the strength of Aussie cricket in the 1995-2010 period. We tried to put together a team of players who played under 30 tests in that era who would be 80+ test players these days. Anyone want to give it a crack?

1. Chris Rogers (25,470 @ 49.55)
2. Phil Jaques (16,035 @ 48.29)
3. Brad Hodge (17,084 @ 48.81)
4. Stuart Law (27,080 @ 50.52)
5. David Hussey (14,280 @ 52.50)
6. Darren Lehmann (25,795 @ 57.83)
7. Ryan Campbell (6,009 @ 36.41)
8. Andy Bichel (769 @ 25.98)
9. Ryan Harris (303 @ 26.55)
10. ?
11. Stuart Clark (393 @ 27.52)

12th man - Martin Love (16,952 @ 49.85)

Couldn't really think of a spin bowler. Was probably unfair to include Ryan Harris as the only reason he didn't play more test cricket was injury, but he fit the criteria.

We also didn't want an allrounder, but if we did Andrew McDonald probably would've gotten a run.
Jamie Siddons.

No Cummins, No Goings.
Banner in west indies crowd after he got left out in, I think, 1991 against Australia.

Patterson Thompson, Reon King, Vasbert Drakes, Cameron Cuffy, Pedro Collins (who was Fidel Edwards' half brother), Merv Dillon who was probably the lone half decent quick they had between Walsh and maybe Jerome Taylor or Kemar Roach when they were good.
Darren Powell, Franklin Rose. They tried dozens of them. some of the batsmen were equally unmemorable.
Dave Joseph, Sylvester Joseph, Xavier Marshall, Robert Samuels (Marlon's brother), Suruj Ragoonath, Clayton Lambert, Adrian Griffith, Floyd Reifer who captained against Bangladesh when all the main players were locked out.
Nehamiah perry.....

Sewnarine Chattergoon. Brenton Parchment. Rawl Lewis (leggie).

I wouldn't call Ricardo Powell obscure but his average over how many ODIs he played is certainly obscure.

Sewnarine Chattergoon. Brenton Parchment. Rawl Lewis (leggie).

I wouldn't call Ricardo Powell obscure but his average over how many ODIs he played is certainly obscure.

Hahaha ha after I wrote that post above Chattergoon was the first name that popped into my head.

Dininath Ramnarine was another one.
Powell could have been a decent cricketer but fell in a heap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brendan Nash

Deep Dasgupta

Sameer Dighe

Nikhil Chopra

No Cummins, No Goings.

Nehamiah perry.....

Xavier Marshall.. Wow, he was really hyped as the next Lara

Remember there was a Windies leg spinner Nagamootoo, could turn it a bit.

Watched him bowling in the nets in Adelaide during a test, sure enough turned them square.....then had a half hour with Jenner.

Never seen a persons body language change so quickly.....dunno what advice TJ gave him, but he literally fell off the cricket map after that encounter.

No Cummins, No Goings.

Nehamiah perry.....

Corey Collymore was no spud and did a decent job for quite a while there.

I don't recall Marshall ever being hyped as Lara. Given his size and aggression there was a bit of talk about how he might be another in the mould of Gayle or Hayden - but yes, there was a clear class difference there.

Remember there was a Windies leg spinner Nagamootoo, could turn it a bit.

Watched him bowling in the nets in Adelaide during a test, sure enough turned them square.....then had a half hour with Jenner.

Never seen a persons body language change so quickly.....dunno what advice TJ gave him, but he literally fell off the cricket map after that encounter.
He actually played one or two decent tests, could bat a bit too

Corey Collymore was no spud and did a decent job for quite a while there.

I don't recall Marshall ever being hyped as Lara. Given his size and aggression there was a bit of talk about how he might be another in the mould of Gayle or Hayden - but yes, there was a clear class difference there.

Collymore was one of the few bowlers post Walsh/Ambrose who they could trust to bowl repeatedly in the same areas.

Further to my nomination of John Davison, there's so many obscure players from around that 2003 World Cup. West Indian fast bowler Jermaine Lawson - Played 13 tests and took 51 wickets @ 29.64. Took 6 for 3 in a Test vs Bangladesh and also took 7 for 78 against Australia (inc. a hat-trick) when they beat us in a test in 2003. He only played international cricket for about 4 years before injury broke him down. In 2008 he moved to the USA and played for them. He's only 34 now, could've been a great bowler IMO. He bowled with serious pace, as well.

Vasbert Drakes and Merv Dillon are a couple of others from the WI team.

Iron Gloves Dighe, that's a cracker.
Shiv Sundar Das
Sadoggapan Ramesh

I was really disappointed when we speared Nash, he really bought a bit of starch to the middle.order

lol I met the latter two. My mate's family knows them both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back