Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Cameron - could bowl, shame things never quite worked out for him.
Came back to Newcastle after his WA career was finished and won 4 consecutive comps with Merewether. In those 4 years he took 214 wickets @ 10 and was still scarily quick, far too quick for the comp here. Used to let everyone know how quick he was too.

His last game was probably one of the greatest games ever played in local cricket as well. 1000 people turned up to watch on good friday which turned out to be the 3rd day of the 2-day grand final.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3812482/lions-hunting-ndca-history/

I think he is in some sort of role with cricket NSW now.

Last edited:

Just remember, this is a sport where an excellent but still erratic all rounder is getting paid something like $5000 per ball he delivers in an upcoming tournament!
I reckon CA in a bid to increase attendance numbers at ODIs and IT20s should bring in some crowd catch money promotion a bit like that Kiwi beer company did a few years back.

Gordon Coventry. Once held the joint record for highest ODI score (194*). Scored it a year or so before double centuries were being belted around.

Can't believe they haven't been able to find another dude over 6" 5 who can bowl.. Wonder what happens to em? They all playing basketball and sprinting instead??
Because the US College system is open to them more WI athletes..are signed to play baseball at college level. Big arms and big bats is what it is all about!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graeme Porter.

Remember him playing for WA in the mid-80s, didn't realise he'd come back after retiring a few years earlier. And only just saw he played in the 79 World Cup.

Because the US College system is open to them more WI athletes..are signed to play baseball at college level. Big arms and big bats is what it is all about!

Baseball is big in the Spanish-speaking Cartibean nations like the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc. Not so much in the countries that make up the West Indies collective of nations.

Athletics and soccer are the sports "leeching" from cricket in the West Indies, not baseball or basketball.

Baseball is big in the Spanish-speaking Cartibean nations like the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc. Not so much in the countries that make up the West Indies collective of nations.

Athletics and soccer are the sports "leeching" from cricket in the West Indies, not baseball or basketball.
Baseball is big in those nations you mention. Cricket and Soccer will always be the "biggies" in the West Indies however College Scholarships are inducing potential baseballers and basketballers to the US and athletes as well. Numbers well I guess deeper research is required to obtain these figures. So you are somewhat right but also somewhat wrong. I know a little about baseballers in the USA because my son and a number of his friends played ball in the USA in the college and professional system. Whence I would rather watch a good game of baseball before the T20

Has Mohammad Khalil been mentioned in this thread yet?

Played against us in 2004/05, bowled around 130 km/h (from memory), couldn't generate much movement due to his very odd action and wrist position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back