Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

149337.jpg

Ravindra Pushpakumara.

Never saw him play but lol at some of the stories, quite a character:

Pushpakumara's antics worked well at times. During the World Cup final, Aravinda de Silva and Asanka Gurusinha put on a crucial 125-run stand for the third wicket. A drinks break was fast approaching. Pushpakumara was one of the reserves and as he was getting ready to carry the drinks. Whatmore called up Pushpakumara and gave some instructions to be passed to the two batsmen. Ranatunga gave few more as well. Manager Duleep Mendis chipped in followed by other senior players. It was a tense dressing room on the 17th of March 1996.

As Pushpakumara ran onto the middle, he wondered why he should upset the momentum by giving too many instructions. So he went up to Aravinda and said, 'Well played aiyya'. Then he turned to Gurusinha and said, 'well-played aiyaa'. All other instructions he kept to himself.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...res-been-never-one-like-him-shehan-madushanka

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chopra for India boy oh boy how he played so many test i don't know.

dan cullen poor kid played for oz to soon. nick jewell was a decent player to.

an that off spinner who bowled to steve Waugh when he hit a 4 to get to 100 dawson?

side note to steele Sidebottoms bro who played for vic an alex keath both of whom were ehhh lucky to play state cricket

Last edited:
chopra for India boy oh boy how he played so many test i don't know.

dan cullen poor kid played for oz to soon. nick jewell was a decent player to.

an that off spinner who bowled to steve Waugh when he hit a 4 to get to 100 dawson?

Chopra played 10 tests because he was the perfect counterpoint to the carnage at the other end. He and Sehwag put on 3 century stands in their first 7 tests together

Chopra played 10 tests because he was the perfect counterpoint to the carnage at the other end. He and Sehwag put on 3 century stands in their first 7 tests together

Yeah I rated him. Could have made a ton if they stuck with him. Wasim Jaffer could have done well as well.

I remember Ajay Ratna and Balaji. Balaji was okay.

Peter Kirsten, made his debut in his late 30s. Brother of Gary Kirsten.

Obscure now, perhaps, but I can remember a time when he was considered one of the better one day players in the world. He was very good at the 92 World Cup. Though more as an anchor than any sort of dasher.

Yet another career absolutely destroyed by apartheid. Averaged over 40 in the rebel test series’ and was still good enough to hit a century in England when he was 40 or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back