News Opel Abandoning Australia - Could we lose them as a sponsor?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carusiii

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Juventus, LA Clippers
It's definitely true, and they certainly wouldn't renew their contract with us even if this hadn't happened. We've given them nothing as it is, same with EW.

PJ has a fight on his hands.

Not a huge deal - they'll have to pay out their contract with us if it extends beyond this season.

Could put us in a better position if it does actually! (Note. I'm pretty sure it doesn't extend past this season).

Yeah, will be interesting if we can keep Webjet on with us too, im also guessing the contract with them finishes end of this season.

tbh I'm not surprised. The Australian new car market is cut-throat and I doubt they would have sold too many Astras on the back of our performances.

Thanks to Opel for their support though during tough times for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't Opel's Holden with a new badge?

If so, why would people buy them, when Holden's can't even sell in their own country?

I thought it was the other way around, some holdens were rebadged opels, e.g. the original astra

Yeah, the Astra had always been an Opel (and a popular one at that) with a Holden insignia. I think the Astra was okay, but the others weren't. People also like to think they're buying Aussie, hence why Holden sold more than Opel did.

Im hearing Melbourne has known about this for awhile and are making plans to rectify it? Dunno... They don't seem too flustered about it

Im hearing Melbourne has known about this for awhile and are making plans to rectify it? Dunno... They don't seem too flustered about it

No point getting flustered really, nothing they can do but search for a new one.

We should get Western Australian tourism to sponsor us. All dat mining money. Hawthorn have Tasmania on their jumpers!

No point getting flustered really, nothing they can do but search for a new one.

We should get Western Australian tourism to sponsor us. All dat mining money. Hawthorn have Tasmania on their jumpers!

wa and nt, i like it

Really disappointed, think the Opel cars were quite good but overpriced for what they were. Clearly it's not a good thing for the club at the moment, already so much to organise without finding a major sponsor as well. Should be easier to keep a sponsor than find a new one I would imagine. Hopefully after the election the economy starts to pick up and on the back of a Roos/Williams/Eade coach signing, there is some excitement around and a big business is willing to open the purse strings and commit to a strong sponsorship deal.

Maybe we can get Mt Buller to sponsor us, like Tasmania has real estate on the Hawks' guernsey.

Really disappointed, think the Opel cars were quite good but overpriced for what they were. Clearly it's not a good thing for the club at the moment, already so much to organise without finding a major sponsor as well. Should be easier to keep a sponsor than find a new one I would imagine. Hopefully after the election the economy starts to pick up and on the back of a Roos/Williams/Eade coach signing, there is some excitement around and a big business is willing to open the purse strings and commit to a strong sponsorship deal.

we had a huge one with Kaspersky, sadly screwed em over :/

Yeah, the Astra had always been an Opel (and a popular one at that) with a Holden insignia. I think the Astra was okay, but the others weren't. People also like to think they're buying Aussie, hence why Holden sold more than Opel did.

We had a hand-me-down 2002 Holden Barina, which is a re-badged Opel. Horrible, horrible car.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back