Remove this Banner Ad

Doctor Jolly

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 28, 2006
sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
When you could have Wolves in dark green or blue, you'd choose Giants and Orange jaffa colour??

For the first time since GWS was announced, I feel the club is doomed.

Its so bland it might as well be beige. Massive failure of marketting.

Giants: Clumsy dimwits who are always defeated in folk tales by smarter more agile opponents.

That's something every footy fan would like to identify with.

Any one who figured they'd be a supporter of this thing should start mixing the tar and collecting feathers.

i quite like it. the strip with the white G is my home preference. i think the whole image is a lot better than the gold coasts (whos jumpers look cheap in comparison) i think the sky blue away will do a lot to gain fans as well, sydney probably are annoyed about that bit. anyway i can see where you're coming from, the colours dont sound good on paper but tonight i really liked what i saw.

i agree that the colours are bland. grey is meh. orange looks peachy. i'd prefer bolder colours - a darker orange. on the positive note, it still looks better than GC's bright red and yellow guernsey.

In 10 years time this will be known as the moment the AFL failed in its bid to win over Sydney.

How could they mess this up so much.

The jumper I don't actually think looks that bad.

But who can identify with a team name Giants?

Might as well have called them Power or something equally as stupid.

At least Dockers and Suns are original,
Here are a list of 10 better names which with any color would have been better, and much less doomed to failure
West Sydney Falcons
West Sydney Snakes
West Sydney Wolves
West Sydney Jaguars
West Sydney Cheetahs
West Sydney Serpents
West Sydney Wonders
West Sydney Ravens
West Sydney Griffens
West Sydney Panthers

Even West Sydney Thestrals named after the mythical horse from Harry Potter with an all black uniform would have been better in my opinion.

Anyway, last thought I give to this ridiculous team...
Consider them the new Brisbane Bears, they will probably have to merge with a Melbourne based team to give them some semblance of spirit and identity.

Western Wolves would have been awesome, with better colours. Orange and grey is like a worn out Essendon jumper. I don't kike anything about this new club at this point in time.

Giants: Clumsy dimwits who are always defeated in folk tales by smarter more agile opponents.

That's something every footy fan would like to identify with.

Any one who figured they'd be a supporter of this thing should start mixing the tar and collecting feathers.

yeah you`re right......unlisted fc is much better

In 10 years time this will be known as the moment the AFL failed in its bid to win over Sydney.

Here are a list of 10 better names which with any color would have been better, and much less doomed to failure
West Sydney Falcons
West Sydney Snakes
West Sydney Wolves
West Sydney Jaguars
West Sydney Cheetahs
West Sydney Serpents
West Sydney Wonders
West Sydney Ravens
West Sydney Griffens
West Sydney Panthers

Even West Sydney Thestrals named after the mythical horse from Harry Potter with an all black uniform would have been better in my opinion.

Consider them the new Brisbane Bears, they will probably have to merge with a Melbourne based team to give them some semblance of spirit and identity.

so sick of everybody complaining about the new teams names.... new teams will always struggle with nicknames due to the limited names available........you have to be kidding about west sydney wonders!! also there happens to already be a team in western sydney named the panthers.......they play in the NRL

talk of how anybody can relate to the name giants... the only team names that actually relate to the place of that team in the AFL are the dockers and suns can you relate to the name hawks?? if you answer yes in any capacity its due to hawks being ingrained into you over time....same will happen with giants......the way people carry on if its not the name of a ferocious animal is ridiculous

They've put in the bid to be the 2nd worst named team in Australian sport (sorry ladies talking mens sport here, you do have some shockers though)

Number 1 has to be

Titans

Then closely followed by

Heart, giants, Victory, Power, Raiders & Force

Broncos very ordinary as well, along with Fury

I'm out they can have Homebush & the giants & good luck to them

I can't understand why people are against it. Personally i like it. If you don't like it fine don't follow them. saying that it is unoriginal is crap like blues, tigers, magpies, kangaroos, lions, eagles, cats, swans, crows demons, hawks etc.. are original. When they come up with names it has meaning and when you hear the think big, live big, play big slogan it makes sense, as well as i red somewhere that the G on the jumper is in the shape of NSW.

I think orange is a good choice. It's reminiscent of Wests Tigers, so it may be something the NRL fans out that way could relate to.
The Giants name is a bit ridiculous, though.

Green in any form is fail, so on that front they got it right.

Geurnsey looks good imo and will appeal to new commers which this is aimed at not established supporters of other teams.

Would like to hear what actual GWS supporters think of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've put in the bid to be the 2nd worst named team in Australian sport (sorry ladies talking mens sport here, you do have some shockers though)

Number 1 has to be

Titans

Then closely followed by

Heart, giants, Victory, Power, Raiders & Force

Broncos very ordinary as well, along with Fury

I'm out they can have Homebush & the giants & good luck to them

Almost as bad as the blues. Very original that one. Lets just nickname us after our jersey color.

Lets call them the West Sydney Orange and Greys.

The name is fine. The colors are different, but the strips that Izzy was wearing in the news paper today didn't look that bad. The initial pictures floated around looked shitty, but in the form of an actual jersey it didn't look too bad.

I think orange is a good choice. It's reminiscent of Wests Tigers, so it may be something the NRL fans out that way could relate to.
The Giants name is a bit ridiculous, though.

I'm not sure if Parramatta Eels and Penrith Panther fans will relate to it very well. Being the colours of their closest rivals.
West Tigers fans might like it or they might feel ripped off.
To put it in comparison - If the Storm had chosen to wear black and white stripes, how well would that have gone down in Melb?

It's the more simple designs that have longevity. This is a simple design that will last. Every club has experimented with more colour and more complex design but eventually go to something simple (re; Port freo)
They have used colours that don't really clash with any others and will be identifiable. Lets thank god they didn't use blue, black, yellow or red

West Sydney Falcons
West Sydney Snakes
West Sydney Wolves
West Sydney Jaguars
West Sydney Cheetahs
West Sydney Serpents
West Sydney Wonders
West Sydney Ravens
West Sydney Griffens
West Sydney Panthers

Suns original? Have you not heard of Phoenix?

Suns original? Have you not heard of Phoenix?

Exactly. No such thing as an original sports team name unless it's ridiculous ("Heart"?) or has some very specific local meaning (someone said their local footy club was "Redlegs").

The Orange is OK'ish. The charcoal grey is what I don't like.

I would have hoped for West Sydney Rangers (west of Sydney - Blue Mountains and connotations of bush rangers - would not have incorporated the word bush though ...no..)

I would have had you in green/gold and navy (wattle - blue for the blue mountains) .:thumbsu:

BTW - when Williams is signed up and dressed in orange - one poster on another board described him as a jaffa. Don't do it guys ...just don't!;)

Looks like a slick 80s American NFL logo, which is probably appropriate for Western Sydney. The homeboys will think it's mad dope yo.:rolleyes:

The colour selection will probably look brighter during the day or during a night game. I agree with most here though, nothing seems related to the region at all. The remarks I've read in the press about GWS's culture must imply that it sees itself as being bigger than the culture and heritage of the region.

Exactly. No such thing as an original sports team name unless it's ridiculous ("Heart"?) or has some very specific local meaning (someone said their local footy club was "Redlegs").

Heart wasn't original, it was a ripoff of an English soccer team.

It's not about being original, its about forging your own identity. The Suns and now Giants have opted out of doing that, and instead have tried to buy one by attaching themselves to well known American names.

It was like the Dockers in the 90's, who decided on purple because it was selling well in American Sports merchandise, as well as opting for a nickname that did not appear in Australian English (here its called a wharfie).

Giants is clearly a basketball name and has no relevance to AR which require small players. Of course, there is the vacuous rebuttal is that that players aren't kangaroos or lions either, but it's all about the connotations the mascots draw.

Fail. Fail fail fail.

The marketing department wins again. As the Dockers have shown, they have booked themselves another appointment in 15 years time to try and come up with a whole new PowerPoint presentation about why their new ideas are not totally arse. Clients for life.

Fire : re Giants is a basketball name.
San Francisco Giants baseball team just won 'World Series'.
NY Giants NFL won Superbowl a few years ago.

Dockers are paying $1,000 per year to Levy Strauss jeans to use Dockers moniker. Wonder if GWS will be on same rate but to two American franchises.

It's the more simple designs that have longevity. This is a simple design that will last. Every club has experimented with more colour and more complex design but eventually go to something simple (re; Port freo)
They have used colours that don't really clash with any others and will be identifiable. Lets thank god they didn't use blue, black, yellow or red

I'm liking your observations here. No better motto than Keep It Simple Stupid.
(I've had a lot of practice. :p)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back