Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously "Bainsey" already has the runs on the board with Billings and McCartin so one avenue would be to go to the draft with our two first rounders and get more superstar youngsters. Or we could put the Out there as serious bait for say a super superstar like say Bontimpelli or Petracca.

Mmmmmm....so many choices.

Trout does the drafting not Ameet.

It happens so often that a veteran retires and a younger kid breaks out the year after. There are some players that although are still playing good footy I think need to be given the tap on the shoulder at the end of the year. Montagna, Gilbert and Savage are those players imo. They are not going to get any better and hopefully if those spots open up a few young mids/half backs (white, rice, dmac, Sinclair) see a jump in output at afl level. It may be a hard call but that is what our midfield/side needs to improve.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

It happens so often that a veteran retires and a younger kid breaks out the year after. There are some players that although are still playing good footy I think need to be given the tap on the shoulder at the end of the year. Montagna, Gilbert and Savage are those players imo. They are not going to get any better and hopefully if those spots open up a few young mids/half backs (white, rice, dmac, Sinclair) see a jump in output at afl level. It may be a hard call but that is what our midfield/side needs to improve.

It may seem like that, but its not the guy retiring that causes the kids to lift.
Both of Montagna and Gilbert have been moved out of the way.

It may seem like that, but its not the guy retiring that causes the kids to lift.
Both of Montagna and Gilbert have been moved out of the way.
It's the opportunity of playing consistent afl football that causes the lift. Montagna still runs through the mid as does Gilbert occasionally. I personally think if those 2 retired someone would flourish

Mate, read the thread. I am responding to another poster and you will see I used some inverted commas. Thanks for your attempt at pedantics but you and the point are not in the same postcode.
Pedantry and semantics do not equate to 'pedantics'.

With that kind of grammar, it's no wonder they didn't understand your post.

Ok we were blitzed in the last quarter, however we are 5 games in and have only just sorting the playing group ,
our mids are improving every game , Billings = starting to get more of the ball ,Acres = improving all the time, Steele = great addition to the squad ,Ross =top class ,Steven = star, Stevens = will be a good when given a chance, Minch = could surprise everyone, Sinclair = needs to be given a chance, in all I'm not happy we lost to the Cats but I see we are improving greatly ,our backline is better than last year and we need our forwards to put there hand up, Bruce is great but needs to stay in one position, Membery gives his all, Gresham is very good and gives us x-factor and Riewoldt and Montagna are superstars - we are heading in the right direction and we will make the eight no doubt , we have a good team and once Richo has sorted the 22 we will be firing.

You mean this sort of positivity or are you the only one allowed to question our players value?

I'm questioning one player that all of us have questioned at stages this year.

Everyone else on this board is going sky is falling we don't have a marquee game, we don't have a standalone VFL team, the rebuild is a failure, Jack Billings isn't a Norm Smith medalist yet, Paddy hasn't won a Coleman yet top level whinging.

Some patience and perspective is required by a lot of sooks on this board.

It's the opportunity of playing consistent afl football that causes the lift. Montagna still runs through the mid as does Gilbert occasionally. I personally think if those 2 retired someone would flourish

They have a little recently but we have been hit hard by mid injuries.

Add to that the midfield is already weak and we'll clearly be adding to it at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought our midfield looked better with the addition of Longer on the weekend.

Yeah 2 champs got hold of us in the last. But that's why they are champs.

Dunstans a worry. Not much in the way of pure mids in the vfl however.

Dunstan doesn't have some of the tools other have (gobs of natural ability or speed etc) but he does bring other things to the party and I still think there is a lot of growth in his game. Someone mentioned somewhere about Ollie Wines studying and learning new running patterns to better influence games and get more of the pill, this is exactly what Luke needs to do. A stint in the VFL is what needs to happen but it shouldn't be as a punishment and I can see him getting back into the 1's as a much more influential player.

Dunstan was drafted two years after Ross. Think of how Seb was going in 2015. To think there is not improvement there is pretty foolish.

Saying that, Ross was dropped back to Sandy in 2015 at one stage (not just returning from his big hammy) and a few VFL games shouldn't do Dunstan any harm.

Dunstan was drafted two years after Ross. Think of how Seb was going in 2015. To think there is not improvement there is pretty foolish.

Saying that, Ross was dropped back to Sandy in 2015 at one stage (not just returning from his big hammy) and a few VFL games shouldn't do Dunstan any harm.
Ross has only played 6 more games than Dunstan.

Of course Dunstan has potential but I'm not sure he will greatly improve at this point.

I thought our midfield looked better with the addition of Longer on the weekend.

Why doesnt Richo put our more experienced stronger players in the middle and at the stoppages. Were getting well beaten in that area. The ruck is only a part of the problem. But the mids rotation on a whole doesnt work. They are so spent being overly deffensive, ball movement and connection between f50 and d50 suffers. Weve gone backwards this year because of this.
Why not put our stronger more experianced players fulltime on the ball. Geary, Joey, Gilbert, Weller, Ross.
We can bring in players to cover the other positions. Rice/Savage to play back for Gears, Wright or Minch to play fwd for Weller, White to play for Joey. We got slaughtered in the last quaters against WC n Cats. This way those stronger players can stay in the middle for longer. Stem the flow when opposition start getting on top.
I actually dont see any improvement in game style this year yet. Infact with the additions of Brown and Jake down back and improvement in Robo who have been super impressive, it looks like weve gone backwards.
Set plays, stoppages and ball movement looks jumbled. Our zoning defence at kick ins looks good i would say even better this year but tbh a lot of players look confused with the game style that looks very taxing and uncoordinated.

I'm questioning one player that all of us have questioned at stages this year.

Everyone else on this board is going sky is falling we don't have a marquee game, we don't have a standalone VFL team, the rebuild is a failure, Jack Billings isn't a Norm Smith medalist yet, Paddy hasn't won a Coleman yet top level whinging.

Some patience and perspective is required by a lot of sooks on this board.

And many have questioned Billings and McCartin.

But I get your point, you only questioned one player and I questioned two. Well in fact I did not even question them as AFL players, just as picks 1 and 3. So maybe I am a bit more positive than you?

An adjective has no plural as it's a quality, not a thing.

Educate yourself first.

Mate, I don't give a flying. It is nothing to do with my point and the vast majority would understand my post. Can't stand f#ckers that waste time correcting minor grammatical errors. You are a pedant. Eff off and do something productive.

Dunstan for Koby if he is not concussed.

Armitage to come in when he is healthy.

Don't really see any midfielders ready to come in unless Freeman gets AFL ready but that won't be until towards the end of the year or next year if he makes it at all.

We need another quick mid to complement Jack Stevens. (Obviously)

We need to pick up a beast midfielder. (Obviously)

What's wrong with Kobe Stevens? Is he a bust? maybe savage should have another go in the guts.

I disagree, I remember arguing every year that Ross' numbers were increasing every year. He was getting more possessions as he improved, Luke is a great guy but right now he's stagnated. He should be given some time to get his confidence up at Sandy.

Obviously "Bainsey" already has the runs on the board with Billings and McCartin so one avenue would be to go to the draft with our two first rounders and get more superstar youngsters. Or we could put the Out there as serious bait for say a super superstar like say Bontimpelli or Petracca.

Mmmmmm....so many choices.
I'm still trying to work out who "the Out" is. Be a good nickname for an extractor. Armo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back