News Our new Football Ops Manager - welcome Adam Kelly!

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. Although the one I mention carries academic standards with it, so it’s not just a walk up based on skin.

Off topic here but the issue of sporting scholarships is big topic in private school world presently
It has been in SA for many years. Each school pretends they don't do it, they all quote other selection criteria etc... but in the end everyone knows what really happens.

From reading Brett Maher' s biography, Sapwell is a winner, and brilliant team mate. He was all about doing the hard stuff to help the stars of the team shine. If our footy players could do that, I'd be delighted.

He's at that point where he believes he is the club and him walking away would actively harm us. Hence all his talk about being the one who appoints his replacement and such. Only he has the wisdom to select the person to lead us forward.

And when he can't find that person? Oh I guess he'll just have to reconsider that plan he had to walk away.
Sad but True .

I agree. Although the one I mention carries academic standards with it, so it’s not just a walk up based on skin.

Off topic here but the issue of sporting scholarships is big topic in private school world presently
My son had quite a few friends on sporting scholarships at his school.... to my surprise nearly all of them received academic awards too. AND they were elite at more than one sport!

It's interesting to see Poulos revered on here now, so I went back to some threads from 2013/14, where the consensus was he was useless and should be sacked. Someone mentioned we needed to get Schwerdt back, and Mutineer (bicks) pointed out presciently that the board used to shitcan Schwerdt too.

Do people think it's fair to say Poulos has been exposed as a pretender this year? We're not fit, we're not strong. I'd say that's a massive fail grade.
The balance is all wrong, we have bulked up but lost speed and lateral movement as a result
Our fitness is clearly a massive issue.

Our players don't even run hard both ways, yet they're constantly exhausted. No second efforts, not attacking or running with any intensity.

Even VB looks unfit.
If we don't add a new fitness guru then we've learnt nothing.

And it's more than just our coaching structure remaining unchanged, our management structure has remained unchanged except for creating another job for the boys for Smart.
The fitness programe should never hve been allowed to be so far below the rest of the comp in the first place. Move on the plonker who cost us and get someone proven in who can deliver. Taking a punt on developing our own staff is a joke. We are not a poor club. Aim high and get the best in.

My approach isn't about turning over staff at every hurdle, its about never resting on your laurels. Replace underperformers and use our principle advantage -ie- our large captive fan base and resultant strong financial position, to go after the best staff available to give us a competitive advantage.

I would comment in return on your approach, if only I knew what it was. It seems to be a softly softly, don't rock the boat, lets all have a group hug and make excuses while father time hopefully makes our problems disappear approach
Why would you take a risk on him again? We don't have unlimited time on our hands to sit back and passively wait for results to come to us. We have a good list, we need to capitalise on it now. Send a message through the organisation that we won't stand for grave underperformance and at the same time get someone in who is proven to have the skills to deliver. Win win.

I hardly think the club is going to collapse into chaos by moving him on. Thats a ridiculous standpoint.
They got the fitness so horribly, horribly wrong. People shouldn't be making errors so badly at the elite level of sport, make those mistakes in the amateurs, learn there.
We are a financially strong club, we need to exploit that by filling our staff with the best in their field, people who have already learned the lessons so that they don't make these mistakes.
That must be why we were so strong this year and people no longer just slipped through our tackles...
You sound like a union chief, not wanting under performers removed - they just need support
Not sure about that, look a little closer. His international credentials make the Jamaican bobsled team look pro

Plus he's strength & conditioning not a fitness guy
The problem is that Van Berlo can't be dropped while he is acting captain so if he does stink it up badly, we can't hold him accountable.

Also he mostly sucks as a tagger.

Also if Vader's theory about the "Sando stink" is true, we should probably be calling it the Poulos stink.
I think one thing we can all agree on, the Crows need a new fitness coach. Poulos should have been out on his ass at the end of last season. We we're a fit side under Craig and still very fit in 2012. Ever since then we have looked weak. It's completely unacceptable. I know we can lump all the blame on Sanderson but he has guys underneath him who are clearly failing him.
We're so fit we can only play about a quarter of decent footy in a 4 quarter game.
I just wish that for once we would go and get the best staff available. Fitness, coaching and marketing.
As always the club decided to go the cheap option and went with Poulos instead.

Why have the best when we can go the mediocre route ? History will also show that Ross Lyon was available for the right price yet we once again we weren't prepared to chase and spend the money to land a big fish.

Sadly this club has lost it's killer instinct years ago, we no longer chase the best coaches and staff, our club ethos is to go the cheap option and hope for the best.
Good: Betts, Kerridge, Sloane & Smith

Bad: Fitness, since we lost schwerdt we have gone backwards fast. Poulos needs to go and we need a big international fitness nut who has some new ideas. Crouch's injury is the last thing we need, time for little brother to get his chance

Ugly: Johnston is lazy puts no defensive pressure hope to never see him again for the AFC. Stupid bloody mistakes danger not taking a kick from 35, Jaensch kicking straight to the opposition in our D50. Coaching strategy is deplorable. Porps is cooked, same with Thompson and Rutten; the game has changed with the introduction of the limit of rotations and the ball moves so quick that leg speed is king.

This week has shown we are still trying to perfect the Geelong game plan but the biggest issue is everyone else has gone past that plan and its all about quick ball movement. We need a decent coach or someone has some fresh tactics because we are 3 years behind with our game plan.
I don't think it's fair to lump it all on the fitness staff but it's pretty clear Poulos isn't up to the task. We don't have a history of poor fitness and now we're getting that reputation under his watch. It's completely unacceptable.
What happened to that "expert" from the same dodgy Middle East academy poulos comes from, who told us his mate was world class?

we have no money so we went cheap. As the old saying goes:
"If you think hiring a professional is expensive, trying hiring an amateur"

Where did our money go? We used to be rich

1. Trigg et al failed to grow the pie, our sponsorship and off field revenue streams did not keep pace with everyone else. We did not develop alternative revenue streams

2. What money we did have left over from the Hammond/sanders era we ploughed lock stock n barrel into the Westpac White Elephant.
3. We sank crazy money into some QC's
4. We have some fines to pay

So thanks admin, you pissed away all the money and we are left with B class professionals to battle against teams with quality appointments in key posts

I mean how could that cunning cut price plan of ours not work??
Bingo. I remember that too

Nothing says false economy like hiring a b grader and hoping for the best.

Essendon got into heaps of crap because they rightly knew how important fitness was. Whatever it takes got out of hand, but they sure knew fitness bad condition is not an area to half ass.

They went too far, we shrugged our shoulders and sighed a big "meh"
I don't get those claiming that 2012 was the legacy of Neil Craig. Certainly Adelaide's fitness was abysmal in 2013 and apparently in 2014 too and Craig did produce teams that were a level above every other in fitness... IN 2005 AND 2006. In 2011 fitness levels were terrible and 2012 was an enormous improvement, before things dropped way off in 2013.
I didn't think it was even remotely possible that out fitness would be worse than last year, when we had a bunch of fatsos running around.

Well, congratulations Crows, you've proven me wrong.
So those apologists of the AFC that keep saying its not fitness, when are you actually going to say its fitness? In the off-season?

Yet another thumping topped off by yet another capitulation in the 4th quarter. We played 6 games so far this year, including 3 preseason games and we got out played in every one of our 4th quarters.
Sack Poulos and get a work experience kid to do it, we can save some more money.
You pay pea nuts and you get monkeys

The club in its wisdom made a decision that the role heading up our Fitness and Conditioning should not be paid more than a asst coach and with this we missed the opportunity to lure a quality candidate

So what did we do we hired our weights conditioning coach in the top role and dressed it up that he was the best person available, now I'm not saying that Nuck is not good in his specific weights training niche however it takes much more knowledge and experience then weight training to prepare a list for an AFL season

This has been a monster fu** up
This is one of the genuine keys to our pathetic performances and fade-outs in the last quarter and a half of each and every game to date.

We had Schwerdt as our fitness coach for many years, and under him we were a very fit side.

At the end of 2012, Gold Coast offered him a goodly sum which we refused to match, saying it was too much so we lost Schwerdt on financial grounds.

We then were in the hunt for Burgess but once again weren't prepared to pay the necessary dollars to secure him, being content to be outbid by a welfare recipient club. Pathetic when you consider that the failure to keep/get either of these 2 men were based on what TSL said - we wouldn't pay more than an Asst coach's salary.

Well, congratulations to the Einstein's that made those decisions. Last year was totally ruined by a half arsed preparation that left us unfit. Brilliantly we kept him in the role, despite his dismal performance in that role.

Our results give new meaning to the saying 'pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys" :rolleyes:
That may be so but do you really think we have done the right thing in settling for the cheap version rather than paying top dollar for the best??

If you can't run, you can't play, and there's no run in this team after 2 and a half quarters - other than chasing arse.
Even if we missed Burgess we could have paid the role market price and recruited someone with the appropriate knowledge and experience to be successful in the role

We have set our players up to fail
Brett Burton any chance of assuming the fitness role?

It's interesting to see Poulos revered on here now, so I went back to some threads from 2013/14, where the consensus was he was useless and should be sacked. Someone mentioned we needed to get Schwerdt back, and Mutineer (bicks) pointed out presciently that the board used to shitcan Schwerdt too.
I can totally put my hand up and say I was wrong about Poulos. With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that all of my beefs with him were actually related to Sando's coaching, selections and game style. I had wrongfully assumed we were unfit when we were actually a bunch of slow plodders who didn't have a clue how to play fast outside footy. We looked like a bunch of slugs in 2013 which led me to believe we were unfit. In reality Sando had all our guys bulking up to win contested footy and not paying any attention to speed or having a strategy for the outside.

Should also mention that I gave up my membership around that time. It's hard to get a feel for how hard players are working when you're only watching on TV.

I can totally put my hand up and say I was wrong about Poulos. With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that all of my beefs with him were actually related to Sando's coaching, selections and game style. I had wrongfully assumed we were unfit when we were actually a bunch of slow plodders who didn't have a clue how to play fast outside footy. We looked like a bunch of slugs in 2013 and I wrongfully assumed we were unfit. In reality Sando had all our guys bulking up to win contested footy and not paying any attention to speed or having a strategy for the outside.

Should also mention that I gave up my membership around that time. It's hard to get a feel for how hard players are working when you're only watching on TV.
I didn't mean to say "you were wrong" to anyone, just that our recollections are not always accurate. A lot had come around by the time Burton was mentioned though, and didn't want him replaced.

I must be old school. You actually want your board backing your staff, not trying to undermine them at every corner. I remember Chappy saying he would support Burton until he no longer could. When it became obvious he couldn't, he didn't. (Is that like political leaders? You back them until they become unbackable). It may have been one year too late, but Chapman has clearly shown over the years he will give second chances, and offer the benefit of the doubt. As for how elite he is, even I got a chuckle out of that one.

You want them backing in toxic staff members? Seriously?

You want them backing in toxic staff members? Seriously?
No of course not. And you know that's not what I meant. You want your board to back in staff, until there is cause not to. Now, for whatever reason, the Board believed these people were doing a good job (I suspect they were being told by Burton et al that everything was hunky dory it was just the players fault, or Pyke's fault or anyone but his fault). It is clear that Chapman is an immensely loyal person (to his detriment I feel), and clearly it takes a lot to persuade him otherwise. It wasn't until the players started giving honest feedback, that they discovered this was not the case, and now there was cause to NOT back them.

From reading Brett Maher' s biography, Sapwell is a winner, and brilliant team mate. He was all about doing the hard stuff to help the stars of the team shine. If our footy players could do that, I'd be delighted.
Aligns very closely with Nicks' mantra as well.

Had a mate who had a bit to do with him back in his Sixers playing days. Spoke very highly of him at the time.

What Rostrevor tried was a good idea, but incredibly poorly implemented. They literally took a group of Indigenous kids from around Australia and then dumped them in to a Catholic school boarding house and expected them to thrive. Utterly insane.
It actually all but destroyed Rostrevor and they are only just starting to recover. Their numbers plummeted, their NAPLAN results became so bad they actually tried cheating and they came within a whisker of folding altogether.

Thankfully they are starting to recover, but it was a very close thing.

Sounds typical of well intentioned city people with literally no idea what they’re talking about. Great idea, yes, if there was a chance that it would work. Actually a s**t idea, but a great outcome to strive for. But, on average, white people haven’t a clue what they’re talking about, especially considering the passion with which they seem to hold those flawed views.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, now do the same thing for the year we got rid of Polous.

Interesting, now do the same thing for the year we got rid of Polous.
It's pretty different. Most had turned around by then. Very few wanted Burton in and him out.

Poulos was pretty average, the major issue is that we actively pushed him out to bring in Burto. And from memory didn’t we lose Bode for the same reason.

One of the reasons St.Peter's struggles in football against PAC for instance is that they refuse to use the scholarships for sport.
Only an extremely recent change of philosophy I believe. They got some review of their sports program done by a Victorian guru (I don't know who it was) who told them bluntly that if you're having to give out sporting scholarships that means the program at your school is poor and you aren't developing your students properly.

Run a better program and you won't need to poach state guns for Years 11 and 12.

Poulos was pretty average, the major issue is that we actively pushed him out to bring in Burto. And from memory didn’t we lose Bode for the same reason.
Burton pushed Bode out because he questioned his methods. Bode was willing to take a pay cut to stay at the club, but got told he wasn't needed anymore so Teague took him to Carlton.

There's a saying that "the grass is always greener on the other side", there needs to be a bigfooty saying that "the coaches are always better at the other clubs"

How does that timing align with the recruitment of Hass? Did Bode’s exit allow Burto to recruit Hass?
I'm pretty sure Hass came in at the end of 2016 and Bode left at the end of 2017.

Hass was originally signed as a S&C coach, but was then instantly promoted to head of fitness after Burton got the footy GM job.

I'm pretty sure Hass came in at the end of 2016 and Bode left at the end of 2017.

Hass was originally signed as a S&C coach, but was then instantly promoted to head of fitness after Burton got the footy GM job.

Correct.

Will be interesting to see how Hass goes in 2020 without Burton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back