Our top 5 Coodabeens

Remove this Banner Ad

Maj got 9 years.

I saw Chad Jones rip Sydney apart in an 04 praccy and thought he was our next CHF.

I’d say McKernan. One great year should have been 5x

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That mark by Chad Jones that day!
😮

The hushed chatter post the mark of the century centred around “we’ve found another Duck!”

ADRIAN McADAM - The ultimate "coodabeen", one of the greatest debut seasons in history, only to be shipped to Collingwood and finished two seasons later.

WINSTON ABRAHAM - Still had a wonderful career with Fremantle and NMFC full of amazing highlights, the mark at Manuka, the goal against Collingwood at the MCG will stay with me for a lifetime. One of the most natural gifted footballers I've ever seen, who could've been one the game's greatest indigenous players, but injuries ended his career at 26. :(

Last edited:
Adrian McAdam is the captain of this side.
Yep, went to his 2nd game, 10.6 and 13 marks and to think, Longmire kicked 9 goals that day.

Probably kicked the fastest 50 goals in history.

Also took a few wickets against a test team, so had talent to burn.

Last edited:

Yep, went to his 2nd game, 10.6 and 13 marks and too think, Longmire kicked 9 goals that day.

I think Allen Jakovich holds that record at 9 games. Coleman and McAdam did it 10. I think.

Definitely Taylor Garner for me, powerful and ferocious. Could sit on heads and kick them from anywhere.

Too bad his hammies were made out of tissue paper…

I thought Aaron Mullett was going to be a a really good back flanker - i remember 1 year he was bombing them from anywhere within 60m and then just as quickly he was gone.

Yep, went to his 2nd game, 10.6 and 13 marks and to think, Longmire kicked 9 goals that day.

The most goals in the first 3 games of any player in VFL/AFL history, and given the way the game is played now that record will likely be safe

3 goals in 5 mins in 1994

Changed his number to 9 in 1995. Pretty sure that season he as rocking an undercut with a ponytail aka "borrowed time" when Pagan is your coach.

Holy s**t! that's more impressive than I had remembered, I was there for this game and he certainly looked the goods, seems like Pages made some pretty hasty brutal calls during those years. I'm glad at least he and McAdam got to play in the reserves flag in 95

Great thread. My spin on this was on some of the "coodabeens" that could have prolonged our success from the 90s into the 00s.

Peter Bell wants out. Bell had just had his best season in 2000, and was one of the best midfielders in the AFL at the time he was traded to Freo. Obviously didn't want him to leave, but thought the trade was reasonably fair. Pick 6, 8, and 39 in the 2000 draft. The picks themselves ended up no where near fair value. There are three things here; (1) How competitive could North stay if Bell stayed through the early 2000s?, and (2) What if North made better selections? Burgoyne, Kerr, and Scott Thompson could have been picked up instead of Smith, and (3) We were one year early to have picks 6 and 8! The following year was the 2001 super draft with players like Bartel, Mitchell, Swan, Dal Santo, Stevie J, etc. all available.

Winston Abraham injury. Career basically over at the prime age of 26 in a preseason game in 2001.

Scott Welsh wants out. After winning a premiership in 99 as a 21 year old, Welsh wants to return to SA and gets a trade to the Crows for pick 77, which eventuates to nothing. If he could play 20+ games in a season (Which was a big if), he was a 40+ goals/season forward, including a 58 goal season in 2005.

Pickett wants out. Traded to Port for pick 13 and 33 in 2002, which eventuates to nothing. Again the timing - we trade for picks on either side of the 2001 super draft.

Leigh Colbert trade. Cats get Cam Mooney and pick up Corey Enright with pick 47, they also got pick 15 and 17. North got with Colbert, pick 53 and 67, which eventuate to nothing. Colbert is a bit of a legend at North, but wasn't quite the player he was at the Cats pre-injury, and wasn't enough to push North to back-to-back premierships in 2000.

I wonder what North would have been like in the 2000s if they had a prime Bell, Abraham, and Pickett, still playing with the majority of the core 99 premiership squad, with a coming-into-prime Welsh and Mooney assisting? This is even with the Carey-saga happening. The alternative is if the traded players had wanted out with better timing (and North was competent with their selections), how North could have re-tooled with better youth around that core squad.

Johnny McCarthy was a seriously good player. Played a little like a Jake Stringer role. Not sure why it didn't work out for him and he ended at Fitzroy.

Some of these U19 Coodabeens are probably being talked up a little too much (Lissenden, McNamara etc). They were essentially the equivalent of today's NAB League stars who don't necessarily transition to the next level.

I remember asking a very pissed Glenn Gorman at the Depot one night in the 90's how big Lisso was going and he told me "mate he's seriously struggling". Great times.

Also recall McNamara as being a fair FIGJAM for some reason.

WINSTON ABRAHAM - Still had a wonderful career with Fremantle and NMFC full of amazing highlights, the mark at Manuka, the goal against Collingwood at the MCG will stay with me for a lifetime. One of the most natural gifted footballers I've ever seen, who could've been one the game's greatest indigenous players, but injuries ended his career at 26. :(

Imagine if he played 200 games! So clean.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winston Abraham
Imagine if he played 200 games! So clean.
I think about it often and it always makes me feel a little sad, he got a little over halfway playing 110 and was only just starting to hit his peak when injury killed his career. He really had another five or six seasons of exciting football in front of him, a huge loss for North Melbourne and the AFL.

But at least he has a Premiership Medal, and he will be loved by every NMFC fan who was lucky enough to see him play. And Fremantle fans too.

Last edited:
I think about it often and it always makes me feel a little sad, he got a little over halfway playing 110 and was only just starting to hit his peak when injury killed his career. He really had another five or six seasons of exciting football in front of him, a huge loss for North Melbourne and the AFL.

But at least he has a Premiership Medal, and he will be loved by every NMFC fan who was lucky enough to see him play. And Fremantle fans too.

One of my faves of all time……didn’t hurt that he also wore Malcolm’s number. Absolute jet.

1. Hartung: would excel in modern football. Would be a top 3 pick in this draft if he was born a few years later. Running machine. Would still be on our list if it wasn't for his dad.

2. Jesse W. Smith: *!!!

3. Harper: as above.

4. Garner: as above

5. Cam Richardson: as above

John Burns definitely my Norm Smith in 1975 too. What a finals series he had.
+1 Richard Michalczyk for this thread. Versatile big man at 190cm. Would have played many more games for us if not for his knee injury.

Melrose was a fast highly skilled player who could kick goals and hit targets consistently. Rare skills back in the 70s. Opposition teams would often target him as they knew how damaging he was.

Ben Jacobs would have been a 150+ gamer for us if not for concussion I reckon
One of the most unique plauyers we've had on our list. The ability to nullify his opponent and still get 27+ disposals most weeks was unreal. The club definitely perserveered with him but it just wasn't to be. I'd love for him to be at North in a development role. I think Scott snagged him to the * as soon as he was appointed.

One of the most unique plauyers we've had on our list. The ability to nullify his opponent and still get 27+ disposals most weeks was unreal. The club definitely perserveered with him but it just wasn't to be. I'd love for him to be at North in a development role. I think Scott snagged him to the * as soon as he was appointed.
His legend has grown ... Ben Jacobs only got more than 25 touches four times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back