Our top 5 Coodabeens

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone mentioned Glenn Freeborn. Should have had a better career.
Very underrated 69 goals from 138 games.It's hard to believe he was only at North for 3/4 years. Does anyone remember why he moved on?

Last edited:

Fill in the blanks….

B: Urch, N.Grima, EVW
HB: JWS, ,
C: Abraham, B.Grima,
HF: Harper, McAdam, Garner
F: S.Harvey,
Foll: McIntosh, Jacobs,
Int: Speight, Ahern

So much untapped potential!

B: Urch, N.Grima, EVW
HB: JWS, Hansen, Urquhart
C: Abraham, B.Grima, S. Motlop
HF: Harper, McAdam, Garner
F: S.Harvey, Black, D. Motlop
Foll: McIntosh, Jacobs, Lower
Inter: Wood, Dhuurkay, Polec, Wright

Good thread, always like to go further back for the young'uns here;

. Stephen Easton - actually went to school with Stephen ( coupla years behind ). Of course famous for our u/19's team losing all it's premiership points in 1975

He was famous at school for taking on Assumption College at Vic.Park one day and literally tearing them a new one single-handedly. Sight to behold. Ran into him at the MCG years later and he admitted he just didn't put the work in which he regretted.

. Richard Michakczyk - CHB who came over from W.A. recruited by Barassi. Solid 190cm and 90kg. Literal brick sheizenhausen.
Could defend, mark, kick, 1 on 1's 👍
Had an interrupted time with injuries but got it together 2nd half of '75. Would have been a huge part of that flag. Did a medial in the finals and that was virtually the last we saw him. Would have been a star.

. Adrian McAdam - 😥 What coudda been.

. Peter Steward - Another CHB ruined by injury at North. 7th in the Brownlow '68 and AA in 1969, but his knee ( which kept him out in '65 ) couldn't keep up. Went to W.A. and played good footy over there for West Perth.

. Johnny Byrne - 😥 Ruck roving star. Flowing blond locks, skilled by hand & foot, hard as a cat's head. 2 broken legs in '79 & 80 saw him retire at 26.

Johnny Byrne. What a star. Was going to the next level when he got hurt in ‘79. You wonder if we could’ve gone further in ‘79 if he’d stayed fit.

Jonas, 4 broken legs, wasn’t it…bloke came over with massive credentials, just couldn’t get a clear run at it.
His first broken leg skittled his career. Not sure how fast he was before that, because it happened real early in his time here, but he was painfully slow after it.

Wasn't helped as a permanent forward by his tweener size either.

That said, he had a nice sidestep and played the odd good game including booting 7 goals against StKilda in a flood at Waverley.

Yeah you can't have Petrie. Got every inch out of himself. Even managed to eek out another couple of years at WCE when he was cooked.

Waite's Carlton years were "coodabeen". Pretty happy with his return at North given his age and what we paid.

Of Harvey, Dal Santo, Petrie and Firrito, at the end of 2016 Petrie was the most cooked. Had been going on fumes for a couple of years. Yet he was the only one who continued on elsewhere. Go figure.

I'd say for me it would be Maj. Adrian McAdam is the obvious choice,and McAdam in 93 did some of the most incredible things I've ever seen on a football field, but I was only a little kid and didn't quite have the emotional scope to realize how much of once in a lifetime lost opportunity it was when he form tapered and he seemed to disappear all together, and I kept hoping he'd make a comeback.
But being older I was front row for Daw's first game, where he shoved an experienced and solid bodied defender in Sauce Merrett out of the way like he was a little boy, took the 1-on-1 mark and split the middle for his first goal in what felt like the first 30 seconds of the game, then kicked 6.4 a few weeks later against the dogs, I really started to let myself believe 'christ, this is really happening!' but it never really did 😭 considering how late he picked up Aussie rules he had a respectable career with a few nice highlights along the way but it could have been so much more.
History will show Scott was trying to make him into something he wasn't and we should have been playing him as a defender/tall utility from day one.

Also to find someone that hasn't been mentioned, I remember Warren Campbell being super impressive in his first few games, kicked 3 and 4 in consecutive weeks if memory serves, then struggled to hold a spot in the stacked North side of the day and vanished from the scene, very much a coodabeen 🤔

s-l500.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have one from left field.

Martin Pike

Now I know he played in 4 flags and played a stack of games but he was as quick as Voss, bigger than Voss, could play well everywhere(CHB in one of norths premiership teams)’ was hard at it ( him playing on little wingers was fun to watch, can’t remember the name of that blond demons brownlow medallist who went to the Pies. He was scared of Pikey).
If he didn’t drink, spend hours playing pokies and dedicated himself to footy I reckon he couldhave been an all time great.
Mellington from Fitzroy had talent but he didn’t fit in.

I have one from left field.

Martin Pike

Now I know he played in 4 flags and played a stack of games but he was as quick as Voss, bigger than Voss, could play well everywhere(CHB in one of norths premiership teams)’ was hard at it ( him playing on little wingers was fun to watch, can’t remember the name of that blond demons brownlow medallist who went to the Pies. He was scared of Pikey).
If he didn’t drink, spend hours playing pokies and dedicated himself to footy I reckon he couldhave been an all time great.
Mellington from Fitzroy had talent but he didn’t fit in.
Woewodin. But tbf, Pikeys a scary man. To link it with another thread, he’s kinda like Matthew Hayden gone rogue. Be careful Curtis 🤣🤣🤣

Also to find someone that hasn't been mentioned, I remember Warren Campbell being super impressive in his first few games, kicked 3 and 4 in consecutive weeks if memory serves, then struggled to hold a spot in the stacked North side of the day and vanished from the scene, very much a coodabeen 🤔

View attachment 1551257
3 goals in 5 mins in 1994

Changed his number to 9 in 1995. Pretty sure that season he as rocking an undercut with a ponytail aka "borrowed time" when Pagan is your coach.

3 goals in 5 mins in 1994

Changed his number to 9 in 1995. Pretty sure that season he as rocking an undercut with a ponytail aka "borrowed time" when Pagan is your coach.

Remember this game for 2 things.
a) thinking we'd found one in Warren
b) wondering why the open bar t.v. was showing a U.S. car chase as it happened.

Maj got 9 years.

I saw Chad Jones rip Sydney apart in an 04 praccy and thought he was our next CHF.

I’d say McKernan. One great year should have been 5x

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back