Our top 5 Coodabeens

Remove this Banner Ad

Spargo was a whipping boy? Musta been a bloody tough crowd, he was pretty hard at it
Yeah, his short career was more to do with soft tissue and shoulder injuries rather than form and the way he went about it. Though I’m probably a biased having played a lot of junior footy against and representative footy with him in our young days.
Would have been nice to get him over the 100 game mark for us!

I was quite partial to Matt Campbell.

Sadly, he was quite partial to parked cars.

He really could have been our Cyril.
I was just going to mention Matty Campbell. I though Campbell and Thomas was a partnership made in heaven,sad wasn't to be.

Adrian McAdam
Blake Grima
Majak Daw
JWS
Shane Harvey

One that I thought could have been anything, had all the attributes but couldn’t get a look in as key forward in the Carey era was Evan Hewitt. Remember getting a game against Richmond, we lost at the MCG, Carey looked disinterested and hungover, Hewitt came on and kicked 4or something in the last quarter. Remember Pagan saying he is the physical prototype for what CHF should look like.

Jonas, 4 broken legs, wasn’t it…bloke came over with massive credentials, just couldn’t get a clear run at it.

PETER JONAS​

Advanced stats
ClubLeagueCareer spanGamesGoalsAvgWin %AKIAHBAMKBV
Central DistrictSANFL1977-1980, 1988-1990931091.17
North MelbourneV/AFL1981, 1983-1988821151.4052%8.855.213.405
Total1977-1981, 1983-19901752241.28
AFL: 9,251st player to appear, 2,908th most games played, 911th most goals kickedNorth Melbourne: 722nd player to appear, 157th most games played, 58th most goals kicked

After a scintillating start to his senior league career Peter Jonas suffered a succession of injuries which ultimately prevented him from truly fulfilling his potential. Originally from Saddleworth, he worked his way through the junior ranks at Central District before making his senior debut as a 17-year-old in 1977. He played half a dozen games that year before becoming a regular senior player in 1978. In 1979, the season that team mate John Duckworth won the Magarey Medal, he won the Bulldogs' best and fairest award, made his interstate debut for South Australia, and had All Australian status conferred upon him after the Perth state of origin carnival, the first Central District player to be so honoured. Powerful, purposeful and a smooth mover, Jonas played as a forward or half forward for most of his career.
A telling mark and useful kick, he seemed to have everything going for him when he crossed to VFL club North Melbourne in 1981, but much of his time there was a nightmare. In eight years in Melbourne he suffered two broken legs, a broken arm, a broken hand, several collar bone injuries, plus numerous incapacitating muscle tears, forcing him to miss, at a conservative estimate, a possible 80 games. As it was, he played a total of 82 VFL games for the Roos, booting 115 goals. He returned to Centrals midway through the 1988 season but injuries continued to beset him, and he only managed to add another 19 league appearances in two and a half years. This gave him a final tally of 93 senior games for the Bulldogs; he kicked 109 goals. He was a South Australian interstate representative on six occasions, kicking 18 goals. In 1998 he was appointed non-playing coach of Centrals and two years later entered his name forever into the club's hall of fame when he steered the side to its first ever premiership courtesy of an 8.13 (61) to 5.9 (39) Grand Final defeat of the Eagles. He later undertook assistant coaching duties at St Kilda and Sydney.
Author - John Devaney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shannon Motlop and Mason Wood for me.

Shannon was really starting to play good, consistent footy in 2000 and broke his leg in a final, was never the same.

And two that I might get some heat for but Waite and Petrie to some extent could have had better careers than they did. They could have gone from the very good to all time greats of the game I feel.

I loved watching Aaron (Azza) Edwards play.

Took some brilliant marks and just exciting.

He is higher than a "coodabeen" sure but when on he was great to watch.

David Trotter
Pick 9 in the 2003 draft - great expectations but .... nada

I loved watching Aaron (Azza) Edwards play.

Took some brilliant marks and just exciting.

He is higher than a "coodabeen" sure but when on he was great to watch.
He's still playing. His team won whatever GF him and Harro played in the other week :)

Shannon Motlop and Mason Wood for me.

Shannon was really starting to play good, consistent footy in 2000 and broke his leg in a final, was never the same.

And two that I might get some heat for but Waite and Petrie to some extent could have had better careers than they did. They could have gone from the very good to all time greats of the game I feel.
Yeah you can't have Petrie. Got every inch out of himself. Even managed to eek out another couple of years at WCE when he was cooked.

Waite's Carlton years were "coodabeen". Pretty happy with his return at North given his age and what we paid.

Eddie Sainsbury, Shane Harvey and JWS

Anyone mentioned Glenn Freeborn. Should have had a better career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back