Our top 5 Coodabeens

Remove this Banner Ad

Julian Kirzner 1 game maybe 2 kicked 5 from memory in his first game . Adrian McAdam was an overnight sensation but only lasted for a very short time . If he had of had a long career who knows what heights he would of reached.

Eric only played 2 games, first was servicible v Carltank. But that 10 goal thrashing v Pies the next week.....
Met him in a Brisbane Officeworks years later.
He was a star in the under 19s - tall, strong, mobile. Surprised we didn't add him to the senior list when the u19s finished, and I think he spent a season with Essendon reserves before heading back to Gippsland. When he was re-drafted and played those 2 games in 1996, he looked cumbersome and slow as an ox.

A couple of others that come to mind... John McNamara, who played with the under 19s in the late 80s/early 90s. I think his name came up in a Twitter thread (or was it on here?) a couple of weeks ago. KPP type who could play either end, looked really promising. Also Damian Murray. Young SANFL ruckman who had big wraps on him when drafted, roughly when we had Hepburn and Gags battling away. Alas, Damian's only claim to fame ended up being pictured on the back of The Sun eating about 20 weet bix out of a saucepan in an attempt to put on some kilos. Only played the 2 games for us.
Warren Campbell out of WA was another highly rated interstater who showed glimpses but nowhere near enough.

Top thread. Jesse Dubya is number one.

Stuey Anderson. Started well. I remember him looking a class above off half back one Friday night against the scum⬛🟥 in 95.

Brian Wilson was a bit of a favourite of mine as a kid. Only played with us for a couple of seasons but we shipped him off to Melbourne where he immediately won a Brownlow.

I'd love to know what happened there, but I always assumed it was something aff field.
He was one of a few that Blighty had shipped off in order to agree to stay and play in ‘82 after his experiences in ‘81 as coach.

Mid 90’s I thought Stuart Anderson looked as promising as Duck. Only played 60 odd games for us (including the ‘96 GF) and was exchanged for Winnie Abraham by ‘98.
Mate of mine lived with him. Reckons he was a bit lazy.

I always though Mason Wood would have shown more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brian Wilson was a bit of a favourite of mine as a kid. Only played with us for a couple of seasons but we shipped him off to Melbourne where he immediately won a Brownlow.

I'd love to know what happened there, but I always assumed it was something off field.

Became obsessed with trying to write a worthy follow-up to Pet Sounds. Completely lost his mind. We were right to cut him loose.

Became obsessed with trying to write a worthy follow-up to Pet Sounds. Completely lost his mind. We were right to cut him loose.
Won accolades for future work which were quickly forgotten. Associated himself with other journeymen. The numbers looked good but the body of work was porous.

Mid 90’s I thought Stuart Anderson looked as promising as Duck. Only played 60 odd games for us (including the ‘96 GF) and was exchanged for Winnie Abraham by ‘98.
He dated my mate's sister for a very short time. He was good fun. From memory they both liked the fast life, can't imagine it was sustainable with full time footy.

I liked Shannon. I knew someone who knew him back in the day and said he was a top bloke. What I disliked was the constant Whipping Boy that became him on here.

But I digress

The big Jase D for mine; set the G on fire in 97 in the Saints Preliminary for all the wrong reasons

But I’ve also heard he’s a top bloke
Shannon Watt definitely copped his fair share as did Shane Clayton, 2 of the biggest whipping boys I can remember at the Roos :(

He was never the same after getting knocked out against Essendon IMO
For all the s**t that Liam Anthony cops on this forum, he too was never the same after that tackle from Travis Cloke, could have had a very different career were that not to happen.

Evan Hewitt
Sam McFarlane
Chris Groom
Shane Harvey
Troy Polak

Special mention to Wade Kingsley.

I was quite partial to Matt Campbell.

Sadly, he was quite partial to parked cars.

He really could have been our Cyril.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back