Overweight and Obesity in Australia in 2023 and future projections.

Are you overweight?

• Yes

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's concerning to note the persistent issue of overweight and obesity in Australia in 2023 and the potential future projections. Addressing this public health challenge requires a comprehensive and multi-faceted approach, encompassing education, lifestyle interventions, and policy changes. Collaborative efforts from government, healthcare professionals, and communities are essential to implement effective strategies that promote healthier living and reduce the prevalence of obesity. By staying informed and engaged in discussions surrounding nutrition, physical activity, and mental well-being, we can contribute to shaping a healthier future for individuals and the nation as a whole.

It's concerning to note the persistent issue of overweight and obesity in Australia in 2023 and the potential future projections. Addressing this public health challenge requires a comprehensive and multi-faceted approach, encompassing education, lifestyle interventions, and policy changes. Collaborative efforts from government, healthcare professionals, and communities are essential to implement effective strategies that promote healthier living and reduce the prevalence of obesity. By staying informed and engaged in discussions surrounding nutrition, physical activity, and mental well-being, we can contribute to shaping a healthier future for individuals and the nation as a whole.

This is the strangest first post I've ever seen on BF...

I once seen a big fella with like 7 frozen black and gold pizzas in his trolley, not sure genetics is the main problem there.

People can't be ****ed cooking as well. I'd say nearly every home cooked version of anything would be healthier than something you buy in a box. The combination of s**t processed food and inactivity might cause you to be a bit tubby, some get away with it though, they're probably not healthy though.

People can't be ****ed cooking as well. I'd say nearly every home cooked version of anything would be healthier than something you buy in a box. The combination of s**t processed food and inactivity might cause you to be a bit tubby, some get away with it though, they're probably not healthy though.
Well too much of anything....
BUT you can pay $25-$30 on Uber for a pizza,
or Black and Gold for what? Under $6.00?
Your right though, last thing I feel like doing is cooking at night, so I rarely do.
I am not overweight, but wouldn't claim I am healthy..

Well too much of anything....
BUT you can pay $25-$30 on Uber for a pizza,
or Black and Gold for what? Under $6.00?
Your right though, last thing I feel like doing is cooking at night, so I rarely do.
I am not overweight, but wouldn't claim I am healthy..

You can also buy portioned frozen pizza dough which includes sauce, then you get your cheese and whatever you want. It's a way better pizza and probably better for you too, still not ideal though I guess.

I cook a lot as kind of a hobby so it works ok for me, don't always enjoy it though, I'd really struggle to have a frozen pizza for dinner (I'd need to chuck it in the oven ha ha)

easing to 82kg after about 80 this time last year. the plateau i was expecting. exercising a bit more sporadic but increasing again - body not as agreeable while i ramp up / turn it into a habit again. i've always had one eye on the scales which i think has helped to steer me a bit better without doing any yo-yo diet stuff.

I don't blame people for being confused. This is a well balanced meal of 2000kj. When I was trying to wing it to lose weight I'd eat 6 squids, 3x as many chips and 8 Gyozas. For 6kj in one sitting.

Veggies straight from the garden cept for tomatoes which aren't ripe yet.

Serving sizes are in reality quite small.

20240122_123518.jpg

I don't blame people for being confused. This is a well balanced meal of 2000kj. When I was trying to wing it to lose weight I'd eat 6 squids, 3x as many chips and 8 Gyozas. For 6kj in one sitting.

Veggies straight from the garden cept for tomatoes which aren't ripe yet.

Serving sizes are in reality quite small.

View attachment 1890635
Looks delicious. I wouldn't bother with chips at all if the portion was that small. Simply can't help myself.

This is the strangest first post I've ever seen on BF...
I'd suggest written by AI. AI appears to be perfectly structured and grammatically correct, but at the same time sterile. Most people don't write like that in forums as it's more of a discussion and not a report style paragraph encompassing all of the facts.

(AI)

The rising rates of overweight and obesity in Australia, projected to reach nearly half the population by 2035, is a concerning public health issue with significant personal and societal implications.
Here are some thoughts on the situation:
The gravity of the situation:
  • Obesity increases the risk of numerous chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers, placing a significant burden on individuals and the healthcare system.
  • It can negatively impact mental health, self-esteem, and quality of life for individuals and their families.
  • The economic cost is substantial, estimated to reach billions annually by 2035.
Contributing factors:
  • Unhealthy dietary patterns – high in processed foods, sugary drinks, and low in fruits and vegetables.
  • Physical inactivity – sedentary lifestyles due to increased screen time and reliance on transportation.
  • Socioeconomic disparities – disadvantaged communities often have limited access to healthy food, safe spaces for physical activity, and healthcare resources.
Addressing the challenge:
  • Multi-pronged approach: We need a comprehensive strategy involving government, policymakers, healthcare professionals, the food industry, and communities.
  • Policy changes: Regulations on unhealthy food and beverage marketing, subsidies for healthy foods, and promoting active transportation are some options.
  • Public awareness campaigns: Educating citizens about healthy choices and creating supportive environments for physical activity are crucial.
  • Individual responsibility: While systemic changes are vital, individuals can also make conscious choices towards healthy eating and regular physical activity.
Looking ahead:
  • The current trajectory is alarming, but it's not too late to act. Addressing the issue requires collective effort and sustained commitment.
  • Investing in prevention and intervention strategies can save lives, improve overall health, and reduce healthcare costs in the long run.
  • Technological advancements might offer solutions in areas like personalized nutrition and fitness tracking, but human-centered approaches remain essential.
My role:
  • As a language model, I can contribute by providing information, facilitating discussions, and helping people explore various perspectives on this complex issue.
  • I can support research efforts by analyzing data and generating creative content to raise awareness.
  • Ultimately, my aim is to contribute to a future where healthy living is accessible and achievable for all Australians.
I believe that by working together, we can create a healthier future for Australia and reverse the worrying trend of overweight and obesity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will have a temporary break going away this weekend plus a birthday but I've gone back on the zero junk thing trying to trim down.

I've added another condition as well, really try to only ever eat anything when I'm actually feeling so e hunger.

And again imo it is nowhere nearly as hard as people like to make out not eating rubbish.

Will have a temporary break going away this weekend plus a birthday but I've gone back on the zero junk thing trying to trim down.

I've added another condition as well, really try to only ever eat anything when I'm actually feeling so e hunger.

And again imo it is nowhere nearly as hard as people like to make out not eating rubbish.

It is very hard for a lot of people.

Started keto 9 weeks ago and as of today 7.6kg down, still a long way for me to go but am at least mentally in the game now. Don’t miss sugar at all but god I miss savoury goods like chips and crackers.

Do you like jerky? That would be keto wouldn’t it?
Yeah it’s on my list to make, considering I have a friend who runs a butchery and I have a dehydrator you’d think I would have made some already 😂

It is very hard for a lot of people.
I like say I dunno, a packet of Twisties. Or a Cadbury chocolate block. They are enjoyable to snack on but do they really taste that amazing? Does one really need to throw them in the shopping trolley? Is it really that hard living for a bit without them?

Have these people even tried?

I actually find caffeine way more challenging to go without.

I like say I dunno, a packet of Twisties. Or a Cadbury chocolate block. They are enjoyable to snack on but do they really taste that amazing? Does one really need to throw them in the shopping trolley? Is it really that hard living for a bit without them?

Have these people even tried?

I actually find caffeine way more challenging to go without.

I reckon it’s like people having a joint or a beer after work for a lot, stresses of life etc, it’s good if it’s something positive of course

This is an extraordinarily ignorant statement. There are any number of reasons that people default to "rubbish", including 1) the cost of good food vs the cost of shitty food, 2) the psychological relationship with food, and addiction to particular ingredients (namely salt or sugar), 3) convenience, and the fact that stay at home parents no longer a financial reality for most people, the fact that parents are made to feel like failures if their kids aren't doing after school activities, 4) knowledge, or lack of knowledge, about the food we eat. Not to mention confusing messaging around food (is potato good for us or not? Is it unhealthy to eat "too much" fruit? Is a glass or two or red wine every night a great provider of antioxidants or just a path to alcoholism?) Apart from a cursory look at the food pyramid - which is largely debunked now - I don't remember being taught anything about nutrition at school.

If you were brought up with healthy habits around what you eat, around how and when you prepare food, and if you learned some of the details of what your body needs to function and in what capacity (ie. proteins, carbs et al) as a young person? Yeah, it's probably real easy. But most of us weren't like that. I know I spent years scapegoating alcohol as the reason for my obesity. Now? I know that I was never giving myself a chance because foods I thought were ok for me aren't.

I'm going through this weightloss journey at the moment, and it's going ok. But the psychological part of it is a major one. I didn't think I was someone who ate for enjoyment or comfort - I ate for need, and I ate for boredom. It's not true though, if you aren't excited about what you're making or what's in the fridge, you're going to default to something you do enjoy. And in my case that's going to be something shitty, cos if there's dinner in the fridge that I'm not excited about, I probably don't have much else in the house that doesn't need a lot of prep.

To suggest that eating well is or should be easy for everyone is just an extraordinary failure to even consider the different lives and lifestyles of people other than yourself.

Back