Overweight and Obesity in Australia in 2023 and future projections.

Are you overweight?

• Yes

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

:D Sounds like the type who could start an argument in an empty room. My advice - be the calm in the eye of the storm. Smile and let her say whatever she likes, and float serenely above all of it.

I often respond with dumb dad jokes to her bullshit, it annoys her even more. Well it keeps me amused and stops me from actually having a go at her ha ha

To be fair I copped the same thing here (bigfooty, not this thread) when I mentioned I do breakfast then a late lunch and no dinner with some snacks in between.

I actually think people struggle with the concept of 2 meals and need to redefine it themselves to contemplate it. Seems strange to me that 2 big meals and some snacking in between is such a foreign concept but 🤷🏼‍♂️

Well the concept was very foreign a year ago to me that’s for sure, somehow I’ve got it to work.

People get so judgey about exercise and eating methods sometimes it’s weird. Different things work for different people, some seem to think there’s only one way to get fit. I mean it’s all about a calorie deficit but it can be achieved in a lot of ways.

Not that I've done intermittent fasting but yeah, if I was to do it, I would find it easier to eat breakfast and lunch and skip dinner, rather than to skip breakfast and have dinner!

Basically I can’t skip dinner, so it’s either breakfast and dinner or lunch and dinner. My line of work I have a lot of meals with meetings so I need to be careful, that’s how I got big in the first place I guess.

Basically I can’t skip dinner, so it’s either breakfast and dinner or lunch and dinner. My line of work I have a lot of meals with meetings so I need to be careful, that’s how I got big in the first place I guess.

Fair. I have a job working in an office at a desk that isn't stupidly fast paced and I experience some downtime which often results in eating/snacking

I often respond with dumb dad jokes to her bullshit, it annoys her even more. Well it keeps me amused and stops me from actually having a go at her ha ha

Well the concept was very foreign a year ago to me that’s for sure, somehow I’ve got it to work.

People get so judgey about exercise and eating methods sometimes it’s weird. Different things work for different people, some seem to think there’s only one way to get fit. I mean it’s all about a calorie deficit but it can be achieved in a lot of ways.
Theres a great dude on insta that basically takes the piss out of all the get fit quick and new method trainers. Also uses the word campaigner alot. My kinda guy.

Youre right though, everyone is adamant their way is the only way. If you wanna do Keto or intermittent or whatever and it works, i salute you.

Not that I've done intermittent fasting but yeah, if I was to do it, I would find it easier to eat breakfast and lunch and skip dinner, rather than to skip breakfast and have dinner!
Im not gonna preach about it but its actually really good. You dont go to bed bloated. Just gotta push lunch out to 2-3pm.

Fair. I have a job working in an office at a desk that isn't stupidly fast paced and I experience some downtime which often results in eating/snacking

WFH is bad for snacking and also for eating big meals for lunch I found, that’s all I did in COVID

Theres a great dude on insta that basically takes the piss out of all the get fit quick and new method trainers. Also uses the word campaigner alot. My kinda guy.

Youre right though, everyone is adamant their way is the only way. If you wanna do Keto or intermittent or whatever and it works, i salute you.

My mate sent me a vid of that guy I reckon, I like his style. Whatever method you use, if it makes you really think about everything you eat it’s gonna help a bit.

WFH is bad for snacking and also for eating big meals for lunch I found, that’s all I did in COVID

My mate sent me a vid of that guy I reckon, I like his style. Whatever method you use, if it makes you really think about everything you eat it’s gonna help a bit.
Hes pretty much preaching what you said, calories out gotta be more than calories in.

All I know is I wake up feeling so much better if I just don't eat after dinner (like 7-8pm)

When I finish work I used to be ravenous and eat then when I got up eat breakky then feel gross.

Leave time for body to digest everything before piling more food on top (that's how I picture it simply)

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

All I know is I wake up feeling so much better if I just don't eat after dinner (like 7-8pm)

When I finish work I used to be ravenous and eat then when I got up eat breakky then feel gross.

Leave time for body to digest everything before piling more food on top (that's how I picture it simply)

I actually agree, I tend to always feel better and lighter waking up without having had dinner the night before, in a positive way

Just chipping in here.

I had the opportunity to meet with some academics from a world-leading university on nutrition. Noting that nutrition advice seems to often be changing/developing, I asked them "What's the latest big thing / advice?" They said: "The idea that we need three meals a day is just wrong" Some people might, but as a general rule it has no basis.

So I don't do breakfast. I'd rather skip dinner I think but home life makes that impractical. But yes, don't eat after 7/8. If I do I wake up groggy.

I like what Michael Mosley said once: "Yes, in one sense losing weight is simply about consuming fewer calories than you expend. But that is about as useful as telling someone to be good at golf you need to get the ball in the hole with as few shots as possible"

In wealthy, developed, modern society it is pretty easy to months at a time without really feeling hungry at all. We are accustomed to constantly stuffing ourselves. I mean, people complain about lack of food on three hour domestic flights. Crazy.

Anyone wanting to lose weight - find the method that works for you - but no matter what you choose I think you need to rediscover what feeling hungry feels like, to feel it, let it subside (it comes and goes), and re-learn the joy of having a meal when you are actually hungry, not just because it is "meal time".

I'm not talking about starvation here, just learn to feel a bit hungry sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually agree, I tend to always feel better and lighter waking up without having had dinner the night before, in a positive way
I do afternoon shift (finish at 11pm) so I have my final break around 7ish so I have dinner then but if I did day work I'd prob stick to that (last meal by 7-8pm) then first meal of the morning would try and have like morning tea (10am)

Just chipping in here.

I had the opportunity to meet with some academics from a world-leading university on nutrition. Noting that nutrition advice seems to often be changing/developing, I asked them "What's the latest big thing / advice?" They said: "The idea that we need three meals a day is just wrong" Some people might, but as a general rule it has no basis.

So I don't do breakfast. I'd rather skip dinner I think but home life makes that impractical. But yes, don't eat after 7/8. If I do I wake up groggy.

I like what Michael Mosley said once: "Yes, in one sense losing weight is simply about consuming fewer calories than you expend. But that is about as useful as telling someone to be good at golf you need to get the ball in the hole with as few shots as possible"

In wealthy, developed, modern society it is pretty easy to months at a time without really feeling hungry at all. We are accustomed to constantly stuffing ourselves. I mean, people complain about lack of food on three hour domestic flights. Crazy.

Anyone wanting to lose weight - find the method that works for you - but no matter what you choose I think you need to rediscover what feeling hungry feels like, to feel it, let it subside (it comes and goes), and re-learn the joy of having a meal when you are actually hungry, not just because it is "meal time".

I'm not talking about starvation here, just learn to feel a bit hungry sometimes.

Yep it’s pretty easy to just eat whenever you’re a bit hungry. If you can get by with a coffee, or an apple or some nuts as opposed to a muffin or a cheese toastie it’s obviously better, not easy to do though that’s for sure

Just chipping in here.

Im not so sure about the bolded. I think its a balance of two things.

1- there is so much info and so many methods and so much bullshit that getting back to a simple principle like "calories in lower than calories out" is actually a great way to cut through the bullshit BUT

2- Without any concept of what that means and how to achieve it its meaningless

I wouldnt throw it out, in fact i think it should be a gospel for weight loss because doing it properly is absolutely sustainable (EBT dude shows how you can jam in fast food and advcates for eating bikkies and s**t over "healthy" options) it probably just needs to be the spark for people to care rather than the final answer.

Im not so sure about the bolded. I think its a balance of two things.

1- there is so much info and so many methods and so much bullshit that getting back to a simple principle like "calories in lower than calories out" is actually a great way to cut through the bullshit BUT

2- Without any concept of what that means and how to achieve it its meaningless

I wouldnt throw it out, in fact i think it should be a gospel for weight loss because doing it properly is absolutely sustainable (EBT dude shows how you can jam in fast food and advcates for eating bikkies and s**t over "healthy" options) it probably just needs to be the spark for people to care rather than the final answer.
Yeah that was his point, people accept the deficit principle but really struggle with how to achieve that with all the noise.

Yeah that was his point, people accept the deficit principle but really struggle with how to achieve that with all the noise.
Yeh, gotcha, thats absolutely fair.

I suppose because healthy lifestyle has been a huge part of my life since my formative years it seems really simple to me but i know when i discuss it with others the saturation of info and methods makes it really tough to find the simple principles.

To be fair I copped the same thing here (bigfooty, not this thread) when I mentioned I do breakfast then a late lunch and no dinner with some snacks in between.

I actually think people struggle with the concept of 2 meals and need to redefine it themselves to contemplate it. Seems strange to me that 2 big meals and some snacking in between is such a foreign concept but 🤷🏼‍♂️
In some parts of the world, 2 meals is the norm (e.g. Nepal & Northern India).

If it works, it works.

Someone put a post recently on that evidence based training guy on instagram, I respect most of what he posts because it deals with stuff in a fairly simple manner
That was me. He’s there for the likes but everything he says is spot on. So many fads and diets out there and foods that you shouldn’t eat.

Simplifies it because you can eat those foods as long as you’re not a fat campaigner and go too far 😂 Calorie counting again is key.

I don’t know who this woman is, but apparently she’s famous?

Not for having a brain though evidently.

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. “I used it against doctors advice, I sourced it illegally, I used 4 times the dose (presumably the full dose, not the intro/taper up dose) - I NEARLY DIED, DONT USE IT!!”

Such irresponsible journalism.

I don’t know who this woman is, but apparently she’s famous?

Not for having a brain though evidently.

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. “I used it against doctors advice, I sourced it illegally, I used 4 times the dose (presumably the full dose, not the intro/taper up dose) - I NEARLY DIED, DONT USE IT!!”

Such irresponsible journalism.

I havent read the article, but I can say Roxy is the dickheads dickhead.

Back