Delisted #27: Jason Laycock - Computer says no

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 27. Jason Laycock

I'm not keen either on playing Gumbleton for the sake of it
If he's kicking 6 each week in the magoos, play him, otherwise he can have another year at Bendigo
Our team normally lines up too tall IMHO, against Hawks, Pies, North they showed us up for lack of runners

If he's kicking 6 each week in the magoos, play him, otherwise he can have another year at Bendigo
Our team normally lines up too tall IMHO, against Hawks, Pies, North they showed us up for lack of runners

We wouldn't be playing him just for the sake of it. He proved last year that's he's up to it. He'll be better this year again and will become one of the best players in the league in a few years time. If he's up to it now then why not play him.

We wouldn't be playing him just for the sake of it. He proved last year that's he's up to it. He'll be better this year again and will become one of the best players in the league in a few years time. If he's up to it now then why not play him.
If there's not a spot for him, don't play him
At TD games we can afford to have 1 less runner/flanker & stack the forward line, at a bigger ground we need all our runners & I can't see a place for him (injury notwithstanding)

You dont know much about the fitness programs they are on do you ?
I will say it for you slowly .
Laycocks lack of a fitness base is what hurts him at times. For ruckman and midfielders the only way to build this base is to play constant footy along with the training. In the past three seasons he has had injuries that have resulted in him missing training and games. To get it back you need to be playing a decent amount of footy along with training. You cant just build it up over summer. You build it up over a couple of years of preperation.
Laycock needs time on the ground and not the bench. He has said himself that he finds it hard to keep his rythem going if he has to come on and off and that he plays more consistant footy when he can be left to play for extended periods of time.
He either needs to be playing 70 to 80 minutes a week in the seniors or a full game in the seconds. He does not need the bench.

Well said. :thumbsu:
Knights has said both boys (Chook and Hille) will spend more time on the ground. Music to my ears. They should be out there either rucking or providing an option up forward, or helping out down back.
Nothing is gained by leaving one or other on the bench.
Laycock is a natural ruckman, and should take over the role this season.
He can also play chf at a pinch. A fine prospect indeed.

Playing Gumbleton has nothing to do with the state of our mid-field, Slats.
It's crucial we get games into Gumbo and have him learn from the likes of Lucas (who he will eventually replace) and Lloyd NOW.
The same goes for Laycock and Ryder - they must be persevered with in 2008
It's all about getting games into kids to help fast track their developement.
The coming year is a continuence of the work of the past few seasons,
not finals. Rebuilding.

I'd rather our younger blokes get fewer opportunities in a better & more balanced team
We've failed in the past - how many times? - from having the completely wrong line-up
I'm keen to avoid seeing 4 opposition blokes run off our less-than-mobile forward line & play keepings off up the field
I'm keen to see 8 or 10 or 12 opposition midfielders matched up by 8 or 10 or 12 essendon midfielders, not 4 midfielders, 3 flankers and a KPP

Call me crazy

I'd rather our younger blokes get fewer opportunities in a better & more balanced team
We've failed in the past - how many times? - from having the completely wrong line-up
I'm keen to avoid seeing 4 opposition blokes run off our less-than-mobile forward line & play keepings off up the field
I'm keen to see 8 or 10 or 12 opposition midfielders matched up by 8 or 10 or 12 essendon midfielders, not 4 midfielders, 3 flankers and a KPP

Call me crazy
I couldn't agree more with what youv'e been saying mate.

Stronger Laycock is ready to play article

From EFC http://essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=5563
Stronger Laycock is ready to play

Tuesday, 5 February 2008
One Essendon player fans are expecting plenty from in 2008 is 23-year old ruckman, Jason Laycock.

Speaking at the 2008 Community Camp in the Gold Coast, the 202cm giant said he has built up strength over the pre-season and increased his bench press by 20kg while maintaining his biggest asset, his leap.

"It's more important for a ruckman to get the strength rather than size for things like the boundary thrown in and when you are fighting for position. It's crucial to have strength to get good position," Laycock said.

"When you are playing guys like Brendan Lade, who is strong, and also going up against David Hille at training, who is also very strong, it's really going to help me.

"But my best asset is my leap, and I have long arms, so this is where I get my advantage."

Laycock, who has played 42 games, said his main focus over the past few months has been improving his skills and fitness.

"I have missed a fair few pre-seasons since I was drafted so to get through this one without missing a single session has been really good," he said.

"I am injury free whereas last season I went into pre-season coming off a shoulder and knee operation and didn't get many sessions in. It was almost exactly the same the year before. Infact, the past two years I have missed most of the running so I am feeling much fitter now."

The former number 10 draft pick recently impressed the coaching staff, recording 11.27 minutes for the 3.2km time trial which is 10 seconds faster than his previous best time.

"I am pretty excited about the coming season and Knighta (Matthew Knights) has told me he expects Hille and myself to spend a fair bit of time on the ground by sharing the ruck work and spending some time up forward," he said.

"Hille and I have been doing a fair bit of work with assitant coach, Scott Camporeale, and the midfielders to get things right and Campo has told us about our roles and how important it will be this year.

"You expect to improve every year and I want to have a good year. I'd like to think I have improved but we won't know unitl 3-4 weeks with a few games under my belt.

"This Saturday's intra-club game will see me and Hille going full on against each other in the ruck for the first time in pre-season so that will be good."

Laycock says he expects Tom Bellchambers to be a good addition to the Essendon ruck stocks despite some pre-season injury setbacks.

"He has been abit unlucky with injuries but he is watching, learning and picking up a few things but he hasn't been able to thrown his weight around," he said.

"I have seen some tapes of him and his centre square work and he looks really good. He is a very strong sort of a bloke and should be a good player."

While Laycock is looking forward to a big year on-field, he is expecting an even bigger year off-field with partner, Alison, expecting with the couple's third child.

Good news:thumbsu:

Re: Stronger Laycock is ready to play article

I think he will have his "breakout" year this season. Played a few great games towards the end of last season. Let's hope he can keep it up :thumbsu:

The Chook is mutiplying at a fast rate!!!!!!!!! He has one of each and another on the way : )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is moving incredibly well at training. His speed over the ground is what is really suprising.

I think he'll be a standout this year.

He's another one of those 2nd tier/young players who is really going to improve under Matty Knights.

He has all the ability in the world so if i can get his mind and body right, he will be one of the top ruckmen in the league.

Looking forward to seeing him this year. This will definently be his breakout year.

He's another one of those 2nd tier/young players who is really going to improve under Matty Knights.

He has all the ability in the world so if i can get his mind and body right, he will be one of the top ruckmen in the league.

How will you do that?:D

People forget he is only 23 - most rucks only start to mature around this age. Let's hope he does so we actually have a ruckman in the centre square. Hille is great for strenght around the gournd, but he has never been a ruckman who could hit the ball to one of our players.

Laycocksimprovement.jpg

2003 -------------------------------------------- 2008

He's come a bloody long way. Let's hope he can step up. I think he can and will.

Was working on a building site at New Gisborne Primary School yesterday. Jason Laycock and another Essendon player (unidentified) were taking the kids through some drills and generally entertaining them.

Great going Bombers. Good to see the clubs are still getting players to visit schools etc. :thumbsu:

Laycock

Good article in todays HUN about the big man. I knew he had injury troubles, but didn't realise he'd had so many operations. Let's hope the big fella can stay on the park this year and show us all what he is capable of. Just like Hille, I think his strength is that he is very good around the ground for a ruckman, can take a mark and knows where the goals are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back