Pat Howard has to go!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

How have Sutherland and this bloke survived failure after failure?

Hilariously, the way to treat a bowler returning from yet another injury is to allow them to bowl * all...then throw them underdone into a gruelling Test match, made worse by the complete and utter ineptitude of the Australian batsmen, forcing the bowlers into bowling with less rest between innings. Then they get injured, rested forever, then returning from yet another injury, allow him to bowl * all...

Genius.

Sutherland is like SA had the same type of prep.

No, they didn't. They had some good FC going for them as well. I think Shield needs to go longer or start earlier or do it like the European football leagues so you can have Matador and Big Bash. I don't know but the Australians will be disenchanted with the Aussie team if they screw up more and more.

No, they didn't. They had some good FC going for them as well. I think Shield needs to go longer or start earlier or do it like the European football leagues so you can have Matador and Big Bash. I don't know but the Australians will be disenchanted with the Aussie team if they screw up more and more.
Being able to switch between formats is an increasingly important skill of the game.

So why are we shifting things so that our first class players play the season in distinct blocks?

They used to have a four day Shield game Tues-Fri with a one dayer on the Sunday.

Being able to switch between formats is an increasingly important skill of the game.

So why are we shifting things so that our first class players play the season in distinct blocks?

They used to have a four day Shield game Tues-Fri with a one dayer on the Sunday.

Like I was thinking and while it doesn't work

Like have Shield and then have on the weekends ODs and then have Big Bash on the weekends with like 3 games a day. Massive ratings for C10.

Apparently CA are very impressed by his dossiers and PowerPoint presentations

Untitled4.png

They were talking on the ABC earlier today about CA looking to get Chris Rogers involved in some sort of role which wouldn't be a bad idea.

At least he has test cricket experience unlike Pat Howard who is a rugby union man. I was gobsmacked when CA appointed Howard, he might have experience at the elite sports level but it's not in cricket. It would be like the ARU appointing Michael Clarke in a rugby management role, makes no sense.

I don't know, you've got to give him credit: we're collapsing much more efficiently since he came on board.

Well you don't want the batsmen getting overworked do you?

Getting out early decreases workload

Well you don't want the batsmen getting overworked do you?

Getting out early decreases workload
Three day games = two extra days for bowlers to rest. And if the opposition only has to bat once, that's only one innings they have to bowl in. You have to admire how committed he is to his vision, his genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't understand the whole issue of workload.

Wilf Rhodes played more than a thousand First Class matches in his career, and took more than four thousand wickets. Granted, he was a spin bowler, so he didn't have the same physical demands as a fast bowler. But he also happened to score almost forty thousand runs -- so he had that as added workload.

Some of the old First Class records are just phenomenal. Players regularly played six days a week for months on end. True, they didn't have to travel, and they typically had the winters off. But the flip side is they had substandard equipment (by today's standards), almost zero support staff and there was no such thing as sports science. Somehow, though, they managed to rack up literally thousands of overs without getting injured.

By contrast, current players play back-to-back Test matches, and the selectors start fretting about excess workload for the bowlers.

What the hell has happened?

I really don't understand the whole issue of workload.

Wilf Rhodes played more than a thousand First Class matches in his career, and took more than four thousand wickets. Granted, he was a spin bowler, so he didn't have the same physical demands as a fast bowler. But he also happened to score almost forty thousand runs -- so he had that as added workload.

Some of the old First Class records are just phenomenal. Players regularly played six days a week for months on end. True, they didn't have to travel, and they typically had the winters off. But the flip side is they had substandard equipment (by today's standards), almost zero support staff and there was no such thing as sports science. Somehow, though, they managed to rack up literally thousands of overs without getting injured.

By contrast, current players play back-to-back Test matches, and the selectors start fretting about excess workload for the bowlers.

What the hell has happened?
Oh no. Today's cricket is far more professional and excellent.

There was some stat in the paper yesterday that Mitchell Starc has bowled the 3rd most deliveries for Australia ever for bowlers at 25yo, apart from Craig McDermott and Graeme McKenzie

Yeah but how many less deliveries for his state?

FWIW Starc actually doesn't have too bad a track record with injury.

It is Cummins and Pattinson who are the big problems

I think Sutherland is the biggest problem of all.

He's running the game into the ground in this country.

He has segmented and chopped and change the structure, and ushered in a philosophy of ridiculous over micromanagement that is killing our ability to play the game properly.

Pat Howard in response to a question about state of australian cricket - "its a real test for him (lehmann)"

Classic management non responsibility
Was gonna come in here to post that. When I read that from Pat Howard that came across as the biggest buck passing episode of all time.

Sheffield Shield definitely needs to start earlier. Think about how CA fixtures our Domestic Summer around the International Summer. The Matador Cup played in the first 3 weeks of October when we don't play any ODI's until mid-January, and the Sheffield Shield starts, what, 10 days before the first test of the Summer - with the Test team told they aren't allowed to play the lone Shield game before the Summer because of 'management' - then the rest of the Shield season gets played after the BBL when the International Summer has moved into the T20's and ODI's. Head-scratching. On-top of that, can we abolish ridiculous and unnecessary ODI Series like the ones in South Africa in October, or the 3 ODI tour of New Zealand in the lead-up to the India tour?

Have the Sheffield Shield start in the first week of October, play 1 game a week for 4 weeks and pick the squad for the Tests from that. Then continue to play Sheffield Shield at the same time as the Tests before the Big Bash so that Shield players that may get called up to the Test squad mid-summer have had 6-7 games of Shield cricket. Keep the Big Bash as is, as I think the format for that is perfect. The Sheffield Shield and Matador Cup fixture post-Big Bash can be determined by when our next series is. If we have a test Series in Feb/March, play the remain Shield fixtures first then finish with the Matador Cup. If our next Series is later like May or June for a West Indies/Ashes tour, then play the Matador Cup in February and finish with the Shield like it does now.

Sheffield Shield definitely needs to start earlier. Think about how CA fixtures our Domestic Summer around the International Summer. The Matador Cup played in the first 3 weeks of October when we don't play any ODI's until mid-January, and the Sheffield Shield starts, what, 10 days before the first test of the Summer - with the Test team told they aren't allowed to play the lone Shield game before the Summer because of 'management' - then the rest of the Shield season gets played after the BBL when the International Summer has moved into the T20's and ODI's. Head-scratching. On-top of that, can we abolish ridiculous and unnecessary ODI Series like the ones in South Africa in October, or the 3 ODI tour of New Zealand in the lead-up to the India tour?

Have the Sheffield Shield start in the first week of October, play 1 game a week for 4 weeks and pick the squad for the Tests from that. Then continue to play Sheffield Shield at the same time as the Tests before the Big Bash so that Shield players that may get called up to the Test squad mid-summer have had 6-7 games of Shield cricket. Keep the Big Bash as is, as I think the format for that is perfect. The Sheffield Shield and Matador Cup fixture post-Big Bash can be determined by when our next series is. If we have a test Series in Feb/March, play the remain Shield fixtures first then finish with the Matador Cup. If our next Series is later like May or June for a West Indies/Ashes tour, then play the Matador Cup in February and finish with the Shield like it does now.

I think the ODIs need to be first. Having them opening the international season makes more sense than starting with the main course.

I think the ODIs need to be first. Having them opening the international season makes more sense than starting with the main course.

Yeah good point, I hadn't thought of that. It would also allow more of the Tests to be played during the School Holidays alongside the BBL. Could bring back the Australia Day Adelaide Test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back