PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Put in code dwwaino for 10% off

I've been saying it for years so it's probably never going to happen, but I still dream of a career switch to IT and always looking for things to chuck into a portfolio because my programming cert IV is pretty useless on its own. Just this week thought about creating a system builder/part picker using a custom scraper to get the prices off Aussie stores and actually wondering how I could manage a commission if anyone used it to buy parts lol.

I've been saying it for years so it's probably never going to happen, but I still dream of a career switch to IT and always looking for things to chuck into a portfolio because my programming cert IV is pretty useless on its own. Just this week thought about creating a system builder/part picker using a custom scraper to get the prices off Aussie stores and actually wondering how I could manage a commission if anyone used it to buy parts lol.
Yeah id like a career switch to IT as well but I left school so early i don't hit any prerequisites to study

Yeah id like a career switch to IT as well but I left school so early i don't hit any prerequisites to study

I left early too and did a trade. Coding has been a hobby though for 20 odd years and finally got around to doing an online cert IV a year or two ago just to have it in paper. Can't do anything with it though lol. I just screw around in Unreal and Unity trying to stick through with ideas that I never finish. Ideally need a portfolio but I'm not a very creative person, I'm more just a code monkey.

I left early too and did a trade. Coding has been a hobby though for 20 odd years and finally got around to doing an online cert IV a year or two ago just to have it in paper. Can't do anything with it though lol. I just screw around in Unreal and Unity trying to stick through with ideas that I never finish. Ideally need a portfolio but I'm not a very creative person, I'm more just a code monkey.
I love all things hardware, have a side business building PC's and would love to get into that but don't have the money to start it. So I keep it just as a couple of PC's a month

Interesting. At present it seems it doesn't matter what sort of SSD you have when it comes to game loading, although this might change in a few years once game engines are optimised for SSDs rather than slow HDDs

I've almost made the switch to all SSDs now, its not a massive difference but I like the cleanliness with more M.2

That basically just backed up my own experience. Going SSD was the real game changer for me a few years ago, but I noticed zero difference when I got an NVMe on PCIE compared to my SATA SSDs. That's why the only premium feature I'm leaving off my new build is gen 4 NVMe drives, the two 1tb drives I got for it are just the standard gen 3 Samsung evo 970 and an Evo 860 SATA because an extra drive doesn't hurt. At least that video justified the decision.

If you're thinking of a switch to coding, all I can say is that certs mean * all.

When hiring we're almost always looking for s**t that you've built. In 15 years I don't think I've ever even looked at someones 'certifications'.

Mind you this is for coding only.

If you're thinking of a switch to coding, all I can say is that certs mean fu** all.

When hiring we're almost always looking for sh*t that you've built. In 15 years I don't think I've ever even looked at someones 'certifications'.

Mind you this is for coding only.

Yeah I was aware of that already, but it was more just a case of getting one just so I had something recognised on paper. One thing I did genuinely learn though from doing it was development methodology that I had never really thought about before! Usually I'd just smash through code as I needed functionality and do whatever worked, but it did teach me about better ways to do and plan things. There is also the extreme fringe scenario that after my missus gets her Italian dual citizenship (via jure sanguinis) and I'll qualify to apply for one through her, we decide to move to Europe that I had something other than my trade certs. It's the age old conundrum though, you need experience for the job but you need the job for experience. I should finish a project one day haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some Euro stores are putting up Zen 3 prices including their specific VAT so I've made a little table to try and guesstimate AUD prices. I'm assuming the original USD prices are excluding tax but I'll use them as a straight comparison +10% GST but will leave off any other tax as I'm unsure what their tariff would be and assuming local distributors would get a better tariff than if you were to import an individual CPU. What I did in lieu of a tariff is arbitrarily round the prices up to a particular $xx9 and a bit to cover distribution. The currency conversions are correct as of 11/10/2020. We'll also have a targeted local RRP to compensate for currency fluctuations which may even be yet another 5% on top. I'm expecting another $50 on the prices I'm guessing. I tried to find the AUD difference vs Zen 2 prices as they have gone up $50USD across the board but I cannot find anything reliable showing Australian launch prices. Current store prices are reduced from what looks to be an inflated supply and demand/covid price.

Source for other region pricing is AMD Reddit.

CPUUSDUKEuro (Portugal)AUDAUD Guesstimate
5600x$299£289€312$412$469
5800x$449£429€469$619$699
5900x$549£529€569$758$849
5950x$799£749€829$1103$1229

I tried to find the AUD difference vs Zen 2 prices as they have gone up $50USD across the board but I cannot find anything reliable showing Australian launch prices.
Couldn't you just use the AU version of Camel Camel Camel to find the launch price on Amazon AU and use that price? I don't think there is much variance in price between stores at launch is there?

EDIT: Or from these articles it appears the launch prices locally were:
3600X - $389
3800X - $629
3900X - $780
3950X - $1219

Last edited:
Couldn't you just use the AU version of Camel Camel Camel to find the launch price on Amazon AU and use that price? I don't think there is much variance in price between stores at launch is there?

EDIT: Or from these articles it appears the launch prices locally were:
3600X - $389
3800X - $629
3900X - $780
3950X - $1219

Could only find US launch prices that AU news sites just converted. Nothing pertaining to actual retail. But there you go.

If you're only looking for standard colours and don't care about extra cable length, the cheaper ones you find on Amazon are decent value

Ali Express is fantastic for stuff like this as well.

I've got a full set of white CableMod mod mesh for my new build but been thinking about some of the custom pro cables. They look so nice but so damn expensive.

I'll trade you some toilet paper for your cables.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back