PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My components are sitting at the post office waiting for me to collect this afternoon, unfortunately i need to wait until late next week for a motherboard so wont be able to begin my build this weekend.

been watching plenty of videos on you tube, found a guy doing a build with basically the exact same components which is a massive help.

what are suggestions for monitor size? Im just going to grab something cheap out of gumtree to get me going as I have already spent enough!

One last question, trying to find answer online but can be a bit vague. I have a 240gb sata SSD and 500gb M.2 SSD. WHICH one should I be installing my operating system into? I'm assuming I'll be able to store other stuff aside from the OS on whichever one I use?

Feel like the wait for my parts to arrive is going to kill me haha!

At least I'm still looking for motherboards which has kept me occupied, I reckon I've changed my mind about 10 times!
I did an in-depth comparison of B450 boards a while back and came to the conclusion the Gigabyte B450 Aorus was the way to go.
Stronger VRM with better VRM temps.
Good aesthetically.
Thermally active M.2 covers.

I had the MSI B450 Tomahawk 2nd.

I would assume this would transfer over to X470 boards as well.

And yes, from memory the VRMs were better than the ROG offerings.

My components are sitting at the post office waiting for me to collect this afternoon, unfortunately i need to wait until late next week for a motherboard so wont be able to begin my build this weekend.

been watching plenty of videos on you tube, found a guy doing a build with basically the exact same components which is a massive help.

what are suggestions for monitor size? Im just going to grab something cheap out of gumtree to get me going as I have already spent enough!
Yeah 27" 1080p 60hz with the lowest GTG time possible, ~5ms thereabouts..

I did an in-depth comparison of B450 boards a while back and came to the conclusion the Gigabyte B450 Aorus was the way to go.
Stronger VRM with better VRM temps.
Good aesthetically.
Thermally active M.2 covers.

I had the MSI B450 Tomahawk 2nd.

I would assume this would transfer over to X470 boards as well.

And yes, from memory the VRMs were better than the ROG offerings.
Is that the Elite or Pro? I settled on the tomohawk based on what I had read online

One last question, trying to find answer online but can be a bit vague. I have a 240gb sata SSD and 500gb M.2 SSD. WHICH one should I be installing my operating system into? I'm assuming I'll be able to store other stuff aside from the OS on whichever one I use?

Ideally you'd want the M2 as a boot drive, but given what you have maybe just go with the 240 as an OS drive.

Does anyone have any particular aversion to the ASUS Prime B450M-A AM4 mATX Motherboard? Has hdmi 2.0, m.2 for $129, seems well priced?
I expect the VRM to be garbage.
The Asus TUF B450 boards got hammered in reviews for a weak VRM and this is probably the same hardware but with the heatsinks removed the help it s**t the bed at a lower temp.

Gigabyte Aorus B450 M only $16 more & one of the strongest VRMs is the B450 product stack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prime is the intro/budget Asus line isn't it? OK if it's just for the features and not for an enthusiast. Definitely better options for only a little bit more though. Don't need to spend big on a motherboard but it's one of those things that if you budget $200-250 (of course there is cheaper if you're savvy) you could pick blindly and not really make a bad choice.

+1 Aorus stuff is pretty good in general. I had my heart set on an Aorus mobo until I read that there was a fault from factory that they were incorrectly displaying voltages on Z370 boards. That was isolated to a single line of boards though and will consider again for next time.
Found the Aorus Pro for $170 From MSY which seems to be a good price so I'll grab that

Started this morning about 9, just had to stop as the wife is heading out. The build is finished and it all turned on! Very proud

The fans gave me the biggest headache out of all, worst instruction manual ever...

Will post some pics this arvo once I calm down haha

Great job!

What specifically about the fans?

All done, windows went on easily enough and just downloading all the updates. Will download a game overnight so i can give it a test run.

Using a crappy monitor my mate had spare until I can get something better.

So much fun to build, No real dramas and a great feeling when It turns in for the first time haha 20190526_162813.jpeg

Is there a website that has easy ways to pick parts based on colour or themes?

Like, There's a red case that I really want to get for my next build, with a tempered side panel. So I want to be able to search through different mobos, PSU'S, fans, 1080ti's, etc by colour to find matching red and white parts.

Is there a website that has easy ways to pick parts based on colour or themes?

Like, There's a red case that I really want to get for my next build, with a tempered side panel. So I want to be able to search through different mobos, PSU'S, fans, 1080ti's, etc by colour to find matching red and white parts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

So the AMD Keynote is in about 24 hours, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with, although most of it will be marketing BS until NDAs are lifted and the reviews come out (closer to the rumoured 7/7 launch I assume).

A benchmark popped up that is allegedly an entry level 6 core CPU which beats the 2700X, but time will tell whether the hysteria over these CPUs is warranted.

Zen 2 will dominate.
6 core $329 USD
8 core $399 USD
12 core $499 USD

12 core stomped an Intel 12 core $1000+ USD HEDT part in blender rendering benchmark 32 seconds vs 38. No wonder the Threadripper line has disappeared for the roadmap.

Ryzen 3000 to launch retail worldwide on 7 July.

Intel will be lost and wondering the Badlands for another 2 to 3 years with nothing but 14+ refresh parts until they get 7nm EUV online. 10nm will be mobile only take it to the bank.

Navi 5700 announced. Was benched in Strange Brigade vs RTX 2070 with a 10% win. A known AMD friendly Mantle API title. More to come at next show, E3 I think?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back