2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

What are our expectations of Bennell, when or if he comes in.

Today is all unicorns because we won, but S.Hill was clearly underdone for AFL footy - a lot of players carried him through the game. Hear me out - he did some nice things and was clearly an AFL player, however he was absent most of the game. If Port ....if they won, then the decision to bring in Hill would be scrutinised. We win so the decision is all good.

There were moments that S.Hill had a huge impact, and from my point of view - it was the simple turnovers letting Port back in the game. I trust the staff on Harley, but something says to me - get him in sooner than later. I could be wrong though, and maybe he just needs to play footy and feel the need to play at the top level. When he does, would we be happy with an S Hill performance - in a winning side everything is trumps, in a loss..

Hogan really stood up today. For a prized recruit with the Tabs, Lobbs and Pearce out he stood up. For me this is where Bennell has a struggle. Where does he fit in the team, and who does he replace. We have Cerra coming back, Brayshaw had a great game - Bewley is improving and showed contest. I am stuck on this, but at one point...if Bennell remains fit...he will come in...and it is exciting

I know cerras the future and all but I im not sure why he should be an automatic selection back in.
His form overall has been patchy and his recent form even more so.

I’m seeing calls against Bennell coming in (along with fitness and selection integrity among others)due to lack of applying forward pressure but is cerra any better?? , not to mention his fitness is still a work in progress as well.

And with selection integrity who here thinks cerra would’ve been given the ride he has if he wasn’t a top 5 pick??

I agree there’s still some selection integrity issues at play but let’s not kid ourselves here , we’re still in our rebuild development mode and there’s been numerous selections previously based on more than just form alone and more in what’s best for the team long term view.

Just get the Harley in

Was anybody at the game?

What's up with Mccarthy
I know cerras the future and all but I im not sure why he should be an automatic selection back in.
His form overall has been patchy and his recent form even more so.

I’m seeing calls against Bennell coming in (along with fitness and selection integrity among others)due to lack of applying forward pressure but is cerra any better?? , not to mention his fitness is still a work in progress as well.

And with selection integrity who here thinks cerra would’ve been given the ride he has if he wasn’t a top 5 pick??

I agree there’s still some selection integrity issues at play but let’s not kid ourselves here , we’re still in our rebuild development mode and there’s been numerous selections previously based on more than just form alone and more in what’s best for the team long term view.

Just get the Harley in
More players who can use the ball well increase our chances of reducing turn over goals and at the same time increases our chances of scoring.

Hawks won 3 flags on ball use.

Co
Was anybody at the game?

What's up with Mccarthy

More players who can use the ball well increase our chances of reducing turn over goals and at the same time increases our chances of scoring.

Couldn’t agree more ,
I’m a cez fan btw. Was just more curious as to the calls for cez straight back in as opposed to Harley.
Both face similar issues regarding cons for selection.

Oh and in terms of foot skills
Harley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cerra
(And yes cerras still good)

Co

Couldn’t agree more ,
I’m a cez fan btw. Was just more curious as to the calls for cez straight back in as opposed to Harley.
Both face similar issues regarding cons for selection.

Oh and in terms of foot skills
Harley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cerra
(And yes cerras still good)
Watching the Dockers today, The Hills and Walter linking up was a beautiful thing to see.

Add Cerra and Bennell to the mix, I pretty excited.

Was anybody at the game?

What's up with Mccarthy

Unfortunately for Hughes this is where he’s in trouble
As good as he’s been this year, he just burns the Ball too often
Bennel for Hughes I’m afraid, quality just has to trump endeavour

Bennell off half back then. Hughes does a lot of hard yards. He had a good game today. He’s not going to be out.

Bewley might be the unfortunate one here. Probably going to get another week at MCG, then Harley comes in.

No way.
Hughes stays until we have a like for like replacement that is an upgrade.
I think his spot is Logues long term, but big Griff has bigger shoes to fill short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way.
Hughes stays until we have a like for like replacement that is an upgrade.
I think his spot is Logues long term, but big Griff has bigger shoes to fill short term.
He is doing OK, but I don't think like for like needs to happen. The club may prefer Carter or Nyhuis at some stage because they are different.

Bennell in with him and Brayshaw sharing time between mid and forward. Drop Switta, he’s good for pressure and that’s all. Both Brayshaw and Bennell will offer the pressure but so, so much more.

Switta only had 4 tackles yesterday and no 1%’s, no score assists and didn’t hit the score board and only kicked it 5 times. Surely we can do better.

Bennell in with him and Brayshaw sharing time between mid and forward. Drop Switta, he’s good for pressure and that’s all. Both Brayshaw and Bennell will offer the pressure but so, so much more.

Switta only had 4 tackles yesterday and no 1%’s, no score assists and didn’t hit the score board and only kicked it 5 times. Surely we can do better.
I really like Switta and his pressure whether it results in an actual tackle can’t be measured that clearly. Watching him play against Maynard the other week he got monstered so really needs more strength around the core.

It would come down to team structure. Brayshaw has been making and sticking tackles and also improving his fwd caper. Bennell doesn’t get any tackles for Peel - Matera is kicking goals with his very clever awareness around the sticks but his tackling pressure isn’t great - he just doesn’t have that initial burst speed of Switta, Langdon or Brayshaw who can line up a player from 20 metres and nail them good and proper.

If Switta is out then Crowden might a more likely player swap. Bewley and Harley are more like for like. I’m not necessarily advocating Crowden here but team structure is important. Is Bennell the most talented player in the names I have mentioned. Yes is the obvious answer. But I’m not sure he is a good swap for Switta. If it happens there would need to be a player reshuffle.

I really like Switta and his pressure whether it results in an actual tackle can’t be measured that clearly. Watching him play against Maynard the other week he got monstered so really needs more strength around the core.

It would come down to team structure. Brayshaw has been making and sticking tackles and also improving his fwd caper. Bennell doesn’t get any tackles for Peel - Matera is kicking goals with his very clever awareness around the sticks but his tackling pressure isn’t great - he just doesn’t have that initial burst speed of Switta, Langdon or Brayshaw who can line up a player from 20 metres and nail them good and proper.

If Switta is out then Crowden might a more likely player swap. Bewley and Harley are more like for like. I’m not necessarily advocating Crowden here but team structure is important. Is Bennell the most talented player in the names I have mentioned. Yes is the obvious answer. But I’m not sure he is a good swap for Switta. If it happens there would need to be a player reshuffle.

Bennell might not get too many tackles but he too provides that pressure that you talk about with Switta (Balla has that too) where his pace just keeps the defenders wondering. Banfield seems to be back in form, has pace, tackles like a machine, and can hit the scoreboard so he’d be a better replacement for Switta than Crowden imo but I still prefer my initial suggestion of a Brayshaw/Bennell mix.

Can't see how he fits in.

We could go slightly smaller by replacing Cox with him but TBH I was very happy with the way Cox played. Probably wouldn't make a change.

I would look at:

Cerra, Bennell -> two of Duman, Bewley, Hughes, Tucker

We could go slightly smaller by replacing Cox with him but TBH I was very happy with the way Cox played. Probably wouldn't make a change.

I would look at:

Cerra, Bennell -> two of Duman, Bewley, Hughes, Tucker

Cox rucked at times to give Darcy a break. Can’t see Dardy rucking, and don’t ever want to either:p

Cox’s position in the team shouldn’t be in question atm.

Didn't Dardy kick a few?
McCrafty from the 25min mark of the 3rd quarter onwards played like he started the season against North Melbourne. Only problem is the rest of the game was terrible - woeful even. Good that he finished off well he needs to carry that late game form into next week and the week after. Then we can find a spot for him on the HFF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back