Peter Dutton - How Long?

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s just it. He’s so sure everyone else is wrong & if he just keeps doubling down on his pointless anti everything culture war nonsense the electorate will come to its senses & magically restore the libs their rightful position of power & he can get back to looting the treasury for his own pockets.
This is an excellent summary of him. Tony Abbott was nothing but a wrecker, but Dutton is even more of an opportunist - he is anti-everything. He's a reactionary.

As usual I have no idea what point you are actually trying to make in quoting me.
I'll make it simpler. Dutton is a stupid, unelectable thug who is spreading division to try and score political points.
He wouldn't be elected in a million years.

However as I am capable of holding different and on some levels contradictory ideas in my head I am able to express that I am disappointed in how Albanese has governed so far on a number of levels.

It is light years away however from the greatest bunch of incompetent, corrupt grifters who occupied government for the previous 9 years culminating in the worst government and the most corrupt, venal, stand for nothing, sociopathic PM in Australia's history.
I'd suggest you are far closer to the likes of Hillsong - devoted to the book that tells you what to believe in, akin to a footy club cheer squad member.

I think it’s Albo’s to lose but the gloss is coming off with progressive voters like myself who are just seeing business as usual kowtowing to the resources industries, Murdoch & the IPA on tax cuts etc & nothing actually being done to progress us towards improving the lot of the less fortunate. Just business as usual doing the bidding of big business & bending over for the US on defense.
Meet the new boss same as the old boss.
Things like helping the less fortunate by closing IR loop holes so our low income earners stop getting underpaid.....but guess who is saying No to this.

Things like helping the less fortunate by closing IR loop holes so our low income earners stop getting underpaid.....but guess who is saying No to this.
The problem there is the unforeseen consequences that seem to jump out.

I am saddened that when a Government Department underpays their people OR a University or a not for profit, underpays anyone,its a simple mistake but if its the private sector its deliberate, evil profiteering.
The hypocrisy writ large.

The outsourcing to get around restrictive labour laws is promoted by those wanting the lowest common denominator to apply to Australian industry, see the demise of manufacturing in Australia, the current dream that our rare metals mining might spawn battery manufacturing (that boat has sailed, see Indonesia & South Korea in our part of the world), or the next frolic with Australia a Superpower.
That not to deny there are employers that take advantage of their workforce, where strong Unions have a role to play.

Last edited:
The problem there is the unforeseen consequences that seem to jump out.

I am saddened that when a Government Department underpays their people OR a University or a not for profit, underpays anyone,its a simple mistake but if its the private sector its deliberate, evil profiteering.
The hypocrisy writ large.

The outsourcing to get around restrictive labour laws is promoted by those wanting the lowest common denominator to apply to Australian industry, see the demise of manufacturing in Australia, the current dream that our rare metals mining might spawn battery manufacturing (that boat has sailed, see Indonesia & South Korea in our part of the world), or the next frolic with Australia a Superpower.

How come the private sector never seem to overpay the low paid workers by accident?

Just a coincidence?

Scary to think there are people that look at Barnaby Joyce and say yeah thats the guy I want making decisions.
There's a class action against Monsanto at the moment over damage caused by the use of Roundup weedkiller, they should offer up the seat of New England as evidence.

Fair point. I admit I'm not following things as closely as I do sometimes but my general impression is they'e been a bit underwhelming in some areas of reform that the electorate showed appetite for at the last election.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s Albo’s to lose but the gloss is coming off with progressive voters like myself who are just seeing business as usual kowtowing to the resources industries, Murdoch & the IPA on tax cuts etc & nothing actually being done to progress us towards improving the lot of the less fortunate. Just business as usual doing the bidding of big business & bending over for the US on defense.
Meet the new boss same as the old boss.
I don't think this Labor government has been much different to past Labor governments (Rudd, Hawke/Keating before that). That is, you're never going to get radical change from Liberal to Labor, but overall we are better off and the longer Labor are in power over the Liberals, the better off we will be. In the first year, Labor made a climate change commitment that the Liberals wouldn't make, brought in workplace harassment laws and are working on the same job, same pay legislation, and brought in a corruption commission. That's good. I'm less impressed with the stage 3 tax cuts or AUKUS. But I'm probably a pragmatist in that I don't expect massive change in the first year or two and I don't expect radical differences between the two parties, just gradual improvement.

Which is not to say we shouldn't always demand better. But any suggestion we'd be just as well off under Morrison or Dutton would be well wide of the mark, imo.

Marise Payne finally did what she should have done when she covered up a potential assault in her office in the lead-up to the last election.

Another Liberal who either never had any morals or was happy to give them away for a bit of power and never achieved anything of note despite 26 years in the Senate ($5.5m in wages, thanks very much, not including expenses).

List of failures:
Awarded the submarine contract to France, her own party binned it
Robodebt
Minster for Women (can't look after women in her own office)

List of successes:

26 years gettin' paid

If somebody has time, I'd love to see the difference in her registered interests at the start of her term compared the end.

I don't think this Labor government has been much different to past Labor governments (Rudd, Hawke/Keating before that). That is, you're never going to get radical change from Liberal to Labor, but overall we are better off and the longer Labor are in power over the Liberals, the better off we will be. In the first year, Labor made a climate change commitment that the Liberals wouldn't make, brought in workplace harassment laws and are working on the same job, same pay legislation, and brought in a corruption commission. That's good. I'm less impressed with the stage 3 tax cuts or AUKUS. But I'm probably a pragmatist in that I don't expect massive change in the first year or two and I don't expect radical differences between the two parties, just gradual improvement.

Which is not to say we shouldn't always demand better. But any suggestion we'd be just as well off under Morrison or Dutton would be well wide of the mark, imo.

There is no doubt you've hit the nail on the head here:
But any suggestion we'd be just as well off under Morrison or Dutton would be well wide of the mark, imo.

Its the economy that will stymie the aspirations of Albo's Government:
'The bigger question, for which the Labor government has little answer, is what will push Australia back to traditional 3 per cent-plus economic growth rates that can sustain the promised sustainable increase in living standards. The two driving forces of Australia’s modern prosperity over the past 30 years – the productivity surge from the 1980s and 90s reform era and the China-based resources boom of the 2000s – are unlikely to do the job this time.'

'And national income is being squeezed by the fall in Australia’s terms of trade – from a century-and-a-half high – as prices for commodity exports such as iron ore, coal and gas come off their highs. Amid Treasurer Jim Chalmers’ warnings about China’s economic slowdown, Beijing is unlikely to come to Australia’s rescue as it did during the Global Financial Crisis.'

But any suggestion we'd be just as well off under Morrison or Dutton would be well wide of the mark, imo.

'The bigger question, for which the Labor government has little answer, is what will push Australia back to traditional 3 per cent-plus economic growth rates that can sustain the promised sustainable increase in living standards. The two driving forces of Australia’s modern prosperity over the past 30 years – the productivity surge from the 1980s and 90s reform era and the China-based resources boom of the 2000s – are unlikely to do the job this time.'

'And national income is being squeezed by the fall in Australia’s terms of trade – from a century-and-a-half high – as prices for commodity exports such as iron ore, coal and gas come off their highs. Amid Treasurer Jim Chalmers’ warnings about China’s economic slowdown, Beijing is unlikely to come to Australia’s rescue as it did during the Global Financial Crisis.'

You mean the economy broken by 10 years of lnp incompetence, underfunded education and skills, funneling money to shady self interest?

Imagine how well off we would be if Abbott didn't get rid of the resources tax and looked after his mates but at least he tried to knight Prince Philip

Is Kwality really trying to suggest Morrison, who racked up a trillion dollars of debt with little to show for it, would have had us all feeling better off?
Are you talking about Treasurer Morrison, Health minister Morrison, Defence Minister Morrison or PM Morrison?

I agree & I hope made clear what I thought of the Morrison government.

Where I differ I suppose is that the complete demolition of the libs & the Teal wave sent a really clear message that the majority are fed up with business as usual & gave the Albanese government a huge mandate to do exactly those kinds of things - bin Aukus, bin tax cuts, raise the dole etc. not only are they not doing those things they’re approving new coal mines while mouthing platitudes in public. Enabling Joyce & Qantas. Big business as usual.

A drovers dog could govern better than Morrison & God forbid we’re ever stupid enough to elect Spud but yeah, I expected more.

Yes, the Australian economy.
blame is fairly on the LNP then and not the ALP for the inherited s**t show
It is during the next term that this excuse wears thin (absent a massive global slowdown and impossible to manage prevailing economic winds)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back