Prediction Pick 3 for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Gov.... SO MUCH ABILITY, amazing kick on both sides that breaks defenses open , strong overhead with a leap and has pace.
Could well be our third best player if he can play 15 to 20 games, that's how highly I rate him.

Cerra.... Showed in Rd 23 when we needed him big time what a gun he is. Set the bar now.
Needs to maintain that.

Harry..... Looks incredibly fit and right in his sweet spot age wise now. Can rip it apart and become the No. 1 tall forward in the comp by a comfortable margin. Better than two years ago, his Coleman year.
Charlie the icing and X factor alongside will go past Hawkins and Cameron as best tall foward pair in comp IMO .

Last edited:
1. Marchbank. If he’s at his best we are a way better team.

sqrt(2). Gov. Such skill at both ends is very handy.

pi/2. Cuners. The outside weapon we need.

2. Acres. See above, could be the difference.

e. Martin. If he’s able to constantly hit the scoreboard then we have a major threat up forward.

3. Zilliams. Skill and pace when fit.

I could name a dozen and still be frustrated at missing some.

Forced to three,

Jack Carroll. Kid is made of the right stuff. Injuries and opportunity have demanded a “slow burn”. Has built body and tank. Should have had a rising star nom in his first game, he is ready to take it to new levels.

Adam Cerra doesn’t seem to get as much love as his midfield partners in crime. Covid and some role shuffles detracted at times last season. Built well at Freo and is ready to add his silky touch to a first receiver type role. Needs to be in the engine room, wasted if pushed to a peripheral role. His connection will be key to our rise.

Zac Williams is a genuine star of the game. Poor start for a bloke revelling in a big contract and losing a bit of “touch” during the Covid lockdowns. Maligned by many, and understandably so in his first year, may not be the centre square mid we thought we recruited, but is going to take the connectivity to new levels with a decent run at it.

1. Harry
2. Gov
3. Fish/Durds

To me, Harry was a bit off his best last year. Looks to be in ripping condition and expecting him to exceed his 2021 form and win the Coleman again.

A fit Gov makes us multiple goals a game better - expect him to lead the # of goal launches from defence stat.

Expect to see both Fish and Durds play higher up the ground. We look a lot more dangerous going forward when they have the ball and can use their speed and agility to get the ball moving quickly to H and Charlie.

Cunners - No brainer. Still reckon he's our most talented mid and mid-fwd. We get a majority of games with a fit Cunners and a relatively healthy list overall, we're very close to Premiership favourites imo. Can do it all - beautiful hands, beautiful kick, speed, evasiveness, goal sense. Everything we need to be a genuine threat.

Boyd - jittery early but settled. Love what I've seen so far. Want him running off half-back or taking the wing. Fast, lovely kick, hard as nails and still so inexperienced. Helps fill a big hole.

ZWilliams or Martin - very hard to split these two. ZWilliams put in his most impressive performance for us yet in the final round I reckon and on the back of a long layoff. Really looked like the GWS version and I was a massive fan of his at GWS. Super excited for what that means next year. I think being genuine challengers can bring out the best in some players, and I feel that these two could be just the types. Very happy for Martin to get a taste of some success next year too.

First year: Cowan. I love aggressive backline players who have speed and lovely kicks. I feel like we're still short one. Hoping Cowan can fit in right away and help create a real team weapon.

Transitioning with speed from defence to attack with good I50 entries will make a world of difference for us and all players mentioned will contribute to that.

Last edited:
Hard to see McG at full fitness for a full season gb, going by his history and diminishing returns since peaking in 2016:

2014 - Drafted as 20 y.o
2015 - 0 afl games, 11 games in Crows reserves
2016 - 23 afl games
2017 - 13 games
2018 - 12 games

2019 - 16 games Blues
2020 - 12 games
2021 - 5 games
2022 - 7 games
2023 - ?
hopefully they found that sweet spot in his hammy with his bout of surgery and heals well.....could go ok,mainly that hammy we are looking at with his injury record etc...obviously he uses it a lot !!

possibly a managed system for him if/or he can possibly slowly accumulate some quality game time injury free

Last edited:
De Koning - with his body now developed IMO he is ready to put it altogether with his natural traits and become a top 5 ruckman in the competition.

O’Brien - we’ve all been critical of him in the past but I think he would have got a lot of confidence playing consistently last year so I can see him really taking off big time in 2023.

Motlop - whilst his fitness will need to continue to improve he has the tricks and smarts to hit the scoreboard so he may be able to take the leap quicker than others

As much as I’d love to nominate one of the oft injured types I just can’t trust them enough to get through an entire season.

Where’s the spew emoji??>…….>…………..🤮…..oh, there it is. Spare me, no us.

I’ll be honest, I don’t get the Boyd love. There’s a reason his AFL journey has bought him here. A bit like Hayes, and I’m still not 100% sure why they let him go. One sling tackle on a flopper. He had as much potential as Boyd. Boyd, He’s a good kick, whoopdy-do.

Anyway, for the keyboard snipers -

1. Kemp - this is the year he plays 3rd tall and goes bang.
2. Cuningham- there’s your star wing. Just stay fit young man.
3. C.Durdin - had his down period. Can be one of the best small forwards in the league.
Sheepy, this post is truly a head scratcher…

You’ve whacked Boydy, whose few games last year generated hope and a buzz of what he might be, then you’ve listed David ‘The Mythical Unicorn’ Cuningham, whose ‘potential’ has him at 41 games in 7 years…

Does not compute!

Sheepy, this post is truly a head scratcher…

You’ve whacked Boydy, whose few games last year generated hope and a buzz of what he might be, then you’ve listed David ‘The Mythical Unicorn’ Cuningham, whose ‘potential’ has him at 41 games in 7 years…

Does not compute!
From the OP

”Name the 3 players you will be closely watching or hoping the best for in 2023 and why. Call it breakout, realized potential, turned the corner, last piece of the puzzle, whatever.”

You can have all the potential/buzz etc etc - but if you can’t get on the park, surely even you can see that ‘potential’ counts for zilch if you can’t show it. If David One N can get fit, he has a few covered in spades, but he can’t get fit. Give him the same run as Fish say and he’s a star and Best 22. I will be closely watching and hoping for him and hope for the best in 2023. Per the OP.

Then there’s the players that we all have in in our own eyes, the Boyd’, the Newman’s, the LOB’s, the Pitto’s. The ones you just can’t completely love for some reason. They don’t fit your eye for some reason that others see. I simply don’t get the Boyd love, I just don’t rate him. Newman scares me when he touches it, like Pitto too. LOB will likely struggle to get games now. I love the jumper, but as the old saying goes, you pick your friends, your faves, but you don’t pick their relatives. I really hope Boyd proves me wrong, I just don’t ‘feel him’ just yet.

You want something that doesn’t compute though. I think the club made a huge mistake letting one player go………………..Hayes. I loved what that kid bought to the table. Accumulator, runner, better than average disposal, a reason to push harder. If someone can tell me why we let him go, the truth, not the ‘he’s no good’, I’ll sleep better. Ok, slight exaggeration, but a decision that left me dumbfounded.

From the OP

”Name the 3 players you will be closely watching or hoping the best for in 2023 and why. Call it breakout, realized potential, turned the corner, last piece of the puzzle, whatever.”

You can have all the potential/buzz etc etc - but if you can’t get on the park, surely even you can see that ‘potential’ counts for zilch if you can’t show it. If David One N can get fit, he has a few covered in spades, but he can’t get fit. Give him the same run as Fish say and he’s a star and Best 22. I will be closely watching and hoping for him and hope for the best in 2023. Per the OP.

Then there’s the players that we all have in in our own eyes, the Boyd’, the Newman’s, the LOB’s, the Pitto’s. The ones you just can’t completely love for some reason. They don’t fit your eye for some reason that others see. I simply don’t get the Boyd love, I just don’t rate him. Newman scares me when he touches it, like Pitto too. LOB will likely struggle to get games now. I love the jumper, but as the old saying goes, you pick your friends, your faves, but you don’t pick their relatives. I really hope Boyd proves me wrong, I just don’t ‘feel him’ just yet.

You want something that doesn’t compute though. I think the club made a huge mistake letting one player go………………..Hayes. I loved what that kid bought to the table. Accumulator, runner, better than average disposal, a reason to push harder. If someone can tell me why we let him go, the truth, not the ‘he’s no good’, I’ll sleep better. Ok, slight exaggeration, but a decision that left me dumbfounded.
I'll have a bit of a go at this one. The "kid" Hayes is 28 this year.
Didn't have a single trait that set him aside. Tried hard but the game he played against Geelong (granted a very tough game to impress in) showed his disposal and decision making was below average.

Worth having a look at but just a meat and potato good VFL player who the list management team decided we were better off taking another draft pick (Lemmey) then keeping on the list.

From the OP

I don’t mean to belittle your opinion but I don’t think anyone is going to think letting go of Hayes will be remembered as a bad decision by the club.

In the Geelong game he turned the ball over repeatedly so I’m not sure why you think his disposal is great. Also at 28 years old he is a hardly a kid.

Re: Boyd conversation, I had severe reservations (maybe 1st half vs Dockers with some shockers) but he did some redeeming things in the 2nd half and then continued to grow in his AFL games before injury ruined his season.

Another game in the VFL he was absolutely on fire with his run and disposal from HB/through the centre. Disposal was something else from a Carlton player. We need more of this quality in our team/s.

I'll have a bit of a go at this one. The "kid" Hayes is 28 this year.
Didn't have a single trait that set him aside. Tried hard but the game he played against Geelong (granted a very tough game to impress in) showed his disposal and decision making was below average.

Worth having a look at but just a meat and potato good VFL player who the list management team decided we were better off taking another draft pick (Lemmey) then keeping on the list.
Very generous statement.

That game against Geelong he absolutely butchered the ball. Was kicking it to Geelong blokes 15-20m on their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the OP

It’s not that I don’t want Cuners to succeed, it just that IMHO he’s been massively over-hyped (shades of the Shaun Hampson era) and barely able to get on the park.
Def not one I’ll be ‘waiting with anticipation’ to see.

Anyway, when I come back from my day out today I’ll post my 3 to watch instead of taking pot shots at others’ selections 😝

I think the club made a huge mistake letting one player go………………..Hayes. I loved what that kid bought to the table. Accumulator, runner, better than average disposal, a reason to push harder. If someone can tell me why we let him go, the truth, not the ‘he’s no good’, I’ll sleep better. Ok, slight exaggeration, but a decision that left me dumbfounded.
Was this The Recruit available this year that we neglected to select ? If so , can you give a potted edition of the attributes he brings to a club ?

Boyd- Has something about him. Injuries stopped a promising season
Cerra- Good season without being great. Can he become elite?
Acres- Does he really makes us better on the outside?
Many are high on Boyd. Some good cameos, I find it hard to see him pushing out any of Doc, Saad, Williams or Newman. Marchy could be played beside Gov, new boy Cowan in the mix too and some posters still debating Plowman. Hope Boyd gets a run, but coming from further back than most realise.

Cerra, yes, he can become elite if given appropriate role and not shunted around to accommodate others. First receiver in the middle as his staple.

Acres makes us better structurally. Good brain, good tank, Jack of all trades. There are players who may compete for his role in a year or two, but will be a banker next season and allow some structural stability by working both ways tirelessly. I believe he will be a great role model for the kids learning to play outside and make appropriate decisions when to “go” and when to maintain shape. Selfless player who will enhance our group considerably.

Many are high on Boyd. Some good cameos, I find it hard to see him pushing out any of Doc, Saad, Williams or Newman. Marchy could be played beside Gov, new boy Cowan in the mix too and some posters still debating Plowman. Hope Boyd gets a run, but coming from further back than most realise.

Cerra, yes, he can become elite if given appropriate role and not shunted around to accommodate others. First receiver in the middle as his staple.

Acres makes us better structurally. Good brain, good tank, Jack of all trades. There are players who may compete for his role in a year or two, but will be a banker next season and allow some structural stability by working both ways tirelessly. I believe he will be a great role model for the kids learning to play outside and make appropriate decisions when to “go” and when to maintain shape. Selfless player who will enhance our group considerably.
Great - can you go back and provide an analysis of each poster’s 3 picks :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back