Picola DFL expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't played on gravel obviously, Phil.D! That's what the Queenstown ground is made from!

Could this be the end for Wunghnu?

Wunghnu, it is fair to say have really struggled over the last decade (especially for the last three years), being competitive in the Picola League, recieving belting after belting.

Could this be the straw that breaks the camel's back, Wunghnu coach, Kim McInnenny has walked out on the club for a third time (he first left in 2001, then 2003 then now) leaving the already struggling Magpies without a coach.

First off, why did they employ a bloke that has a history of doing runners when it gets a bit tough ?, and secondly, what happened to those gun recruits that he was supposed to have bought ?.

Perry Meka was there last season (that mercenary's been a lightning rod for trouble, for years, and most clubs wouldn't go near him with a 40 foot barge pole), and he did his usual thing (make a big mess for the incoming coach & committee to clean up), even with their backers (who have been paying big money for lousy players), it's gone pear shaped.

Wunghnu had to abandon thier Under 17's side this year due to lack of numbers, and they are down to 2 Netball sides (most PFL clubs have at least 4).

And i've heard that there's been an exodus of players that have left the club, and things sadly are looking very bad for them right now.

David Dixon and the committee have done a wonderful job in keeping the club afolat when most clubs would have folded by now, but could this be the end ?.

I hope not, because the clubs nearly 120 years old (they formed in 1885), and even if they do manage to survive this crisis, will it be worth it ?, would it be better to merge than fade away (like Invergordon) ?, is there anything they can do make things better ?.

Re: Could this be the end for Wunghnu?

Wayde Petersen said:
Wunghnu, it is fair to say have really struggled over the last decade (especially for the last three years), being competitive in the Picola League, recieving belting after belting.

Could this be the straw that breaks the camel's back, Wunghnu coach, Kim McInnenny has walked out on the club for a third time (he first left in 2001, then 2003 then now) leaving the already struggling Magpies without a coach.

First off, why did they employ a bloke that has a history of doing runners when it gets a bit tough ?, and secondly, what happened to those gun recruits that he was supposed to have bought ?.

Perry Meka was there last season (that mercenary's been a lightning rod for trouble, for years, and most clubs wouldn't go near him with a 40 foot barge pole), and he did his usual thing (make a big mess for the incoming coach & committee to clean up), even with their backers (who have been paying big money for lousy players), it's gone pear shaped.

Wunghnu had to abandon thier Under 17's side this year due to lack of numbers, and they are down to 2 Netball sides (most PFL clubs have at least 4).

And i've heard that there's been an exodus of players that have left the club, and things sadly are looking very bad for them right now.

David Dixon and the committee have done a wonderful job in keeping the club afolat when most clubs would have folded by now, but could this be the end ?.

I hope not, because the clubs nearly 120 years old (they formed in 1885), and even if they do manage to survive this crisis, will it be worth it ?, would it be better to merge than fade away (like Invergordon) ?, is there anything they can do make things better ?.

Nah think it's all over for our little sheep station town near Numurkah. Good on the fella's for trying to keep the club going but, why?? If they have no players then its probly just a few committee men trying to keep something together that just isnt going to work and hasnt for the past 10 years. With 13 teams in the Picola League it is as if there is 2 byes for all clubs. 1 for the odd amount of clubs and the other you have to turn up for a training run against the Maggies.

purple hills said:
Nah think it's all over for our little sheep station town near Numurkah. Good on the fella's for trying to keep the club going but, why?? If they have no players then its probly just a few committee men trying to keep something together that just isnt going to work and hasnt for the past 10 years. With 13 teams in the Picola League it is as if there is 2 byes for all clubs. 1 for the odd amount of clubs and the other you have to turn up for a training run against the Maggies.

And the sad thing is, they're not alone in the Goulburn Valley as a struggling entity...

It's time to stop talking about biting the bullet, and for clubs to actually take some action to secure their future, whether it be pulling the pin or merging. What about a Congupna-Wunghnu merger, and calling themselves the Highway Magpies?

I think you're right, if (heaven forbid), Murchison were to struggle year after year like Wunghnu are, I would prefer them to merge with a neighbouring club (even if that club was to be Rushworth).

Tallygaroopna would be the most likely candidate for a merger, it's the closest club to Wunghnu, and they do have strong ties to one another, Congupna on the other hand, are just out of thier depth in the Murray League.

Although Wunghnu do have an Under 14's side, when you don't have the players, well is there much point in continuing as a single entity ?.

In any case, I hope that the Maggies committee members (who I really admire, for thier tenacity) make the right decision.

Something has to be done fast. Results for Wunghnu on the w/e

Seniors
Tungamah 51. 29.=335
Wunghnu 5. 6.= 36

299point victors

Reserves
Tungamah 23. 18.=156
Wunghnu 1. 3.= 9
147 point victors

Seniors last with a percentage of 15

Reserves last with a percentage of 6

purple hills said:
Something has to be done fast. Results for Wunghnu on the w/e

Seniors
Tungamah 51. 29.=335
Wunghnu 5. 6.= 36

299point victors

Reserves
Tungamah 23. 18.=156
Wunghnu 1. 3.= 9
147 point victors

Seniors last with a percentage of 15

Reserves last with a percentage of 6
geez, that is embarassing isn't it?? have they got any good players do you know purple hills or are they all just a bunch of youngsters or whata??

jmain14 said:
geez, that is embarassing isn't it?? have they got any good players do you know purple hills or are they all just a bunch of youngsters or whata??

Not sure i don't play against them however with no thirds team you would think that they have a few young fella's running around.

Wayde Petersen said:

Also Didn't that Jasmin Baryczka play for Wunghu speaking of mercaneries he has moved onto Mathoura now and has a very murky past admidst theft from footy clubs and was sacked from at least 2 clubs for stealing and one for supplying drugs to juniors.

madtiger said:
Also Didn't that Jasmin Baryczka play for Wunghu speaking of mercaneries he has moved onto Mathoura now and has a very murky past admidst theft from footy clubs and was sacked from at least 2 clubs for stealing and one for supplying drugs to juniors.
he sounds like a bit of a winner...

madtiger said:
Jaz played in a flag side at Nagambie in 98 (I think) as a paid mercenary, was at Dookie as coach prior to the 2002 season and walked out/was sacked. He then went hunting around for a home for him and 2-3 mates tom play and approached Yea (amongst 8-10 other clubs) wanting big money for all of them, tried to get back to Nagas in 2003 and in 2004 went to Wunghnu with Perry and others solely for the cash injection and bled them dry it would seem for little return. I am unaware of his off field light fingering activities but you would think that clubs in the area would be a bit put off to 'employ' someone like that. You (clubs) get what you deserve in the end of the day if you don't get the right people I s'pose.
I think it is a great pity if any side folds and they should undoubtedly see out the year and then consider a merger, if only to keep the name alive and half the home games. A few sides in the Wimmera-Mallee have done it over the years, Brim being the latest to merge with Warracknabeal in 2001. But they have since lost their entire identity because they were a smaller town from a minor league merging with a Wimmera FL side.
The key is for each individual club to retain some sort of ownership of the merged side either thru the jumper and logo and hyphenated name and still sharing games. I know it worked for Harrow-Balmoral and for other sides but it takes a great deal of courage to do.
I for one wish them the best.

Rosco5 said:
Jaz played in a flag side at Nagambie in 98 (I think) as a paid mercenary, was at Dookie as coach prior to the 2002 season and walked out/was sacked. He then went hunting around for a home for him and 2-3 mates tom play and approached Yea (amongst 8-10 other clubs) wanting big money for all of them, tried to get back to Nagas in 2003 and in 2004 went to Wunghnu with Perry and others solely for the cash injection and bled them dry it would seem for little return. I am unaware of his off field light fingering activities but you would think that clubs in the area would be a bit put off to 'employ' someone like that. You (clubs) get what you deserve in the end of the day if you don't get the right people I s'pose.
I think it is a great pity if any side folds and they should undoubtedly see out the year and then consider a merger, if only to keep the name alive and half the home games. A few sides in the Wimmera-Mallee have done it over the years, Brim being the latest to merge with Warracknabeal in 2001. But they have since lost their entire identity because they were a smaller town from a minor league merging with a Wimmera FL side.
The key is for each individual club to retain some sort of ownership of the merged side either thru the jumper and logo and hyphenated name and still sharing games. I know it worked for Harrow-Balmoral and for other sides but it takes a great deal of courage to do.

I agree Rosco it is important for clubs to recruit not only good players but good quality blokes that are there for the right reasons. It will be hard for them to rebuild a club if they can't field a junior under 17 team as that in my opinion is the key to build any solid platform on. I fell these clubs get so desperate for players and success that they get sucked into the trap of 'buying' players and it mostly backfires on them. Jaz was sacked from St Micheals footy club in Horsham for theft also from Sale footy club and was not thought of to highly at Tallygaroopna where he was allegedley involved in drug peddling. he would be getting on in years now I can't imagine he would be worth much money he would have to be getting close to 40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

madtiger said:
I agree Rosco it is important for clubs to recruit not only good players but good quality blokes that are there for the right reasons. It will be hard for them to rebuild a club if they can't field a junior under 17 team as that in my opinion is the key to build any solid platform on. I fell these clubs get so desperate for players and success that they get sucked into the trap of 'buying' players and it mostly backfires on them. Jaz was sacked from St Micheals footy club in Horsham for theft also from Sale footy club and was not thought of to highly at Tallygaroopna where he was allegedley involved in drug peddling. he would be getting on in years now I can't imagine he would be worth much money he would have to be getting close to 40

He kicked 12 on the weekend for Mathoura and has 28 for the year. Although that really means nothing when your a thieving piece of sh|t

You're right Rosco, when you employ blokes like that, you (and the clubs involved) do run the risks of having it backfire on you, and the worst thing is (using your old club as an example) that Nagambie's going to take at least another 2-3 years to get back into contention, after they went and bought premierships, Although the Junior side of things looks good (Avenel also looks strong at this level), but thier senior side's look like being in the wilderness for a while, but the Lakers and the Swans will come back.

Jasmin (and Perry), made approaches to Murchison about coming down to play for the club a few years ago, but having heard what he did at Tally (and Perry's reputation in general), we declined his offer (mainly because we couldn't afford it), we were prepared to go down the hard road, and not to go for the quick fix.

Although I feel for Wunghnu, but the consistently strong sides (Picola United, Katandra, Stanhope, Rushworth, Colbinabbin) get thier success from recruiting a few gun players to compliment thier locals plus putting a great emphasis on junior development.

Rosco5 said:

Yep, very important this bit, good post Rosco. The Harrow-Balmoral is probably not the best example as the merger that brought about that club was between Douglas-Harrow-Miga Lake and Balmoral so as you can see two clubs were obliterated in the merger. Other instances where a party lost its identity included Berri-Culgoa into Sea Lake-Nandaly (the nickname changed, so that is something), Moonambel-Redbank (Redbank soon disappeared, though later on, so did Moonambel!), Colac-Coragulac (now Colac), Cohuna-Union became Cohuna Kangas. Maddingley-Bacchus Marsh became just Bacchus Marsh, even though Maddingley was the primary club at time of merger.

The papers that report have some culpability, referring to Tooleybuc-Manangatang solely as Tooleybuc, Wodonga Saints (which were Bethanga) solely as Wodonga.

Other problems is the trend towards generic titling. St Michaels and Horsham Imperials-Wonwondah in the Wimmera FL are now Horsham Saints and Horsham Diggers, alongside the original Horsham, now usually known as Horsham Demons. Irewillipe and Pirron Yallock when merging called themselves the Western Eagles (other examples in metro Melb include Southern Cobras and Western Magpies). This is a great compromise; obliterate both original entities equally!

I s'pose I come from a small-town mentality where all I see is the loss of identity of each town, whereas I must admit, in some cases the combined team has actually kicked on as a result of lopsided compromises.

But, in the climate, what else can really be done. Some good efforts about, mainly by acronyming (is that a word?!) the clubs : ROC, DWWWW and TGP (RIP) I think are good moves.

And, for the record, if Wunghnu merge, it won't be the first time. Here's a novel way to preserve both contributing entities' names :

Quoted from footypedia - F-Ref 2888

Code:
Drumanure-Wunghnu Football Club / Drumghnu Football Club (Vic)

Guernseys & Nicknames :
1924 - Drumghnu wore black and white colours.

Timeline :
1924 (Goulburn Valley FA) :
Commencing this season, Drumanure joined forces with Wunghnu, forming the Drumanure-Wunghnu FC, elsewhere named as Drumghnu.
Drumghnu participated in the Goulburn Valley FA.

1925 - Goulburn Valley FA : Drumghnu participated.
1926 - Goulburn Valley FA Semi-Final : Numurkah defeated Drumanure-Wunghnu.

1927 (Goulburn Valley FA) :
Drumanure were equal 4th after H&As.
4th-place play-off - Drumanure-Wunghnu defeated Cobram.
First Semi-Final - Drumanure-Wunghnu were defeated.

1928 - Wunghnu returned to the fray, participating in the Goulburn Valley FA. Drumanure returned to stand-alone status in the Katamatite FA.

Mobbenfuhrer said:
Yep, very important this bit, good post Rosco. The Harrow-Balmoral is probably not the best example as the merger that brought about that club was between Douglas-Harrow-Miga Lake and Balmoral so as you can see two clubs were obliterated in the merger. Other instances where a party lost its identity included Berri-Culgoa into Sea Lake-Nandaly (the nickname changed, so that is something), Moonambel-Redbank (Redbank soon disappeared, though later on, so did Moonambel!), Colac-Coragulac (now Colac), Cohuna-Union became Cohuna Kangas. Maddingley-Bacchus Marsh became just Bacchus Marsh, even though Maddingley was the primary club at time of merger.

The papers that report have some culpability, referring to Tooleybuc-Manangatang solely as Tooleybuc, Wodonga Saints (which were Bethanga) solely as Wodonga.

Other problems is the trend towards generic titling. St Michaels and Horsham Imperials-Wonwondah in the Wimmera FL are now Horsham Saints and Horsham Diggers, alongside the original Horsham, now usually known as Horsham Demons. Irewillipe and Pirron Yallock when merging called themselves the Western Eagles (other examples in metro Melb include Southern Cobras and Western Magpies). This is a great compromise; obliterate both original entities equally!

I s'pose I come from a small-town mentality where all I see is the loss of identity of each town, whereas I must admit, in some cases the combined team has actually kicked on as a result of lopsided compromises.

But, in the climate, what else can really be done. Some good efforts about, mainly by acronyming (is that a word?!) the clubs : ROC, DWWWW and TGP (RIP) I think are good moves.

And, for the record, if Wunghnu merge, it won't be the first time. Here's a novel way to preserve both contributing entities' names :

Quoted from footypedia - F-Ref 2888

Code:
Drumanure-Wunghnu Football Club / Drumghnu Football Club (Vic)

Guernseys & Nicknames :
1924 - Drumghnu wore black and white colours.

Timeline :
1924 (Goulburn Valley FA) :
Commencing this season, Drumanure joined forces with Wunghnu, forming the Drumanure-Wunghnu FC, elsewhere named as Drumghnu.
Drumghnu participated in the Goulburn Valley FA.

1925 - Goulburn Valley FA : Drumghnu participated.
1926 - Goulburn Valley FA Semi-Final : Numurkah defeated Drumanure-Wunghnu.

1927 (Goulburn Valley FA) :
Drumanure were equal 4th after H&As.
4th-place play-off - Drumanure-Wunghnu defeated Cobram.
First Semi-Final - Drumanure-Wunghnu were defeated.

1928 - Wunghnu returned to the fray, participating in the Goulburn Valley FA. Drumanure returned to stand-alone status in the Katamatite FA.
Firstly I didn't realise that Jaz was in Horsham and played for the Mick's. I should make contact with a few of the boys there for the real dirt.
Secondly, Wayde, I agree wholeheartedly that Nagas bought the flags, it's just that some at the club fail to see that and are living in the past. One person cannot change the mentality of a football club, that I have learnt the hard way.
Anyway Mobben, I personally think the Harrow-Balmoral merger was a complete success even though you did have to drop a couple of names, most of the people from the DHML days still follow the club. You really couldnt have Douglas-Harrow-Balmoral-Miga Lake, it'd be too much like Devon-Welshpool-Won Wron Woodside.
I was more talking about the main towns in that merger and the success of the club from the 1997 season, they have finished 3-3-1-3-3-1-2-1 although I can't see back to back this year as they are struggling, not financially but a few players have left the club and they didn't even appoint a coach until late January.
I think you'll find St.Michaels used to play in the Horsham DFL and it was Imperials and Wonwondah that merged to form Horsham United (now Diggers), the Mick's simply got bigger and better and moved to the Wimmera League.
As for the defunct clubs it is amazing when you go to a GF, especially a District League GF and find out the names of the previous premiers. Wail is a two silo 'spot' north - west of Horsham which even won a flag in the HDFL in the 40's. Where are they all now, where do they disappear to. It is unfortunate that any club has to fold but that is just the changing demographics of country Victoria (Australia).

Rosco5 said:
Firstly I didn't realise that Jaz was in Horsham and played for the Mick's. I should make contact with a few of the boys there for the real dirt.
Secondly, Wayde, I agree wholeheartedly that Nagas bought the flags, it's just that some at the club fail to see that and are living in the past. One person cannot change the mentality of a football club, that I have learnt the hard way.
Anyway Mobben, I personally think the Harrow-Balmoral merger was a complete success even though you did have to drop a couple of names, most of the people from the DHML days still follow the club. You really couldnt have Douglas-Harrow-Balmoral-Miga Lake, it'd be too much like Devon-Welshpool-Won Wron Woodside.
I was more talking about the main towns in that merger and the success of the club from the 1997 season, they have finished 3-3-1-3-3-1-2-1 although I can't see back to back this year as they are struggling, not financially but a few players have left the club and they didn't even appoint a coach until late January.
I think you'll find St.Michaels used to play in the Horsham DFL and it was Imperials and Wonwondah that merged to form Horsham United (now Diggers), the Mick's simply got bigger and better and moved to the Wimmera League.
As for the defunct clubs it is amazing when you go to a GF, especially a District League GF and find out the names of the previous premiers. Wail is a two silo 'spot' north - west of Horsham which even won a flag in the HDFL in the 40's. Where are they all now, where do they disappear to. It is unfortunate that any club has to fold but that is just the changing demographics of country Victoria (Australia).

You're preaching to the converted here, Rosco, and its great to see someone with thier finger on the pulse!

Harrow-Balmoral, of course a success ...err .. success-wise. Continuing high placements as you have quoted. I was talking more about community-based effects, and while the towns have shrunk over time, just losing a name or two, loses the history, too. Kids at Harrow and Balmoral these days may not know of Douglas-Miga Lake Rovers' involvement. Kids at Salt Lakes (nee Douglas) might not even know it!

Personally I don't think hyphenating every contributor is too bad an idea, but of course one has to run with the acronym in that case. DHBML perhaps, but agreed, Douglas-Harrow-Balmoral-Miga Lake is a mouthful! I think DWWWW is a great name, buch better than 'East Coast Allies' as they were originally called.

Yes both St Michaels and Imps-Wonwondah were HDFL clubs originally, with Imps-Wonwondah being separate clubs at one stage in the past (Wonwondah actually seems to be an early days merger of East Wonwondah and North Wonwondah).

Yep re Wail, but, umm Taylors Lake out there doesn't even have silos! :) and it still has a club. Also note there were clubs from Jung, Lubeck, Coromby, Dooen, Haven (ok it has population at least), Longerenong (ok a college), Brimpaen, Brim Springs, Kiata and Netherby were once indiv clubs. Wartook had a club, Toolondo, the list goes on.

I just like to see that when a locality's footy presence bites the bullet, it is respected somewhere.

On weekend gone I saw Glen Eira v Fitzroy Reds. Glen Eira comprises Glen Huntly, St Kilda CBOC, South-Caulfield, Murrumbeena Districts, oh the list goes on. Almost every guernsey, gets a guernsey on the wall of their social rooms. Nice touch, making the effort. Lest we forget.

Cheers, thanks for the opportunity to vent a bit on this!

Rosco5 said:

He actually coached them and was sacked mid season when they played in the Horsham league i think it was around '93? Money was mysteriously going missing and apparantley he had a massive gambling problem.

Madtiger, well there you go. Must touch base with a few and get the full story. That is amazing that people travel far and wide for the purposes of bangin' country clubs and their mates at those clubs up the date.
Mobbenfuhrer, I do know a bit about that area and had to laugh when you quoted the names of the old teams from around there. I worked at Horsham from 97-00 and was a/coach at United and then at HB where we won the flag by a point over Kalkee in 99. United do have a lot of the old Imps and Wonwondah memorabilia and photos in the rooms which is great.
As for HB, they are indeed a great club, not many problems with the two (3-4-5) communities coming together and they have done a great combined job to at least keep their presence in a good (if District) football league. It would undoubtedly be the best club I have played at in my time in the game, financially run well, community support great, people great.
It sounds like you either lived in the Wimmera or got out the "Country leagues in Decline handbook - 1900-2000" ?? Good to have a laugh about it anyway. Taylors Lake actually got most of the Horsham North players when they disbanded at the end of 1997 and continue to have a strong connection with the local Aboriginal population and get some talented youngsters out there.

Rosco5 said:
It sounds like you either lived in the Wimmera or got out the "Country leagues in Decline handbook - 1900-2000" ?? Good to have a laugh about it anyway.

The former, I grew up in Marnoo, though didn't play footy there (as a footballer I made a good drunken Doc Wheildon fan).

If there is such a book as 'Country Leagues In Decline' I'd like to get a hold of one, I haven't heard of it but do tend to grab whatever I can afford, as it'd help with the 'pedia (see signature below post). My nephew plays for Great Western so I take an interest in the HDFL. I have 'Wheatbelt Warriors' (compilation of the newspaper expose) which is a good browse.

Sounds like you know your footy. I never get up that way anymore or I'd drop in to see that Imps and Wonwondah memorabilia; I don't have their guernseys nor nicknames for the site (how's your memory?).

I didn't realise Taylors Lake more or less got the Horsham North players, which I believe was Homers renamed.

But anyway, my personalised interest out that way is actually South Wimmera FL which existed to 1969 and touted such clubs as the Noo, Glenorchy, Swifts, Halls Gap, Warriors (now merged into Stawell's WFL team) and the reserve clubs of Rup, Minyip and Murtoa. Dad won a flag as skipper in the 1950s.

Mobbenfuhrer said:
The former, I grew up in Marnoo, though didn't play footy there (as a footballer I made a good drunken Doc Wheildon fan).

If there is such a book as 'Country Leagues In Decline' I'd like to get a hold of one, I haven't heard of it but do tend to grab whatever I can afford, as it'd help with the 'pedia (see signature below post). My nephew plays for Great Western so I take an interest in the HDFL. I have 'Wheatbelt Warriors' (compilation of the newspaper expose) which is a good browse.

Sounds like you know your footy. I never get up that way anymore or I'd drop in to see that Imps and Wonwondah memorabilia; I don't have their guernseys nor nicknames for the site (how's your memory?).

I didn't realise Taylors Lake more or less got the Horsham North players, which I believe was Homers renamed.

But anyway, my personalised interest out that way is actually South Wimmera FL which existed to 1969 and touted such clubs as the Noo, Glenorchy, Swifts, Halls Gap, Warriors (now merged into Stawell's WFL team) and the reserve clubs of Rup, Minyip and Murtoa. Dad won a flag as skipper in the 1950s.
Mobb, the book was a bit of a joke but it would be good to compile one with all the merged clubs or ones that are no longer. It is sad to see (or more to the point not see) all the old memorabilia that is lost, old jumpers, photos, cups, footies etc etc from disbanded clubs. I have seen clubs that are still in existence not know where certain trophies or other memorabilia are, it is a real shame, borderline blasphemy. Yes, North Horsham were Homers, still got a cricket side in the comp up there. Do remember when Marnoo folded, end of 98 or 99 was it ?, real shame for the town too. Dunolly don't appear to be too far off either. The Wonwondah side used to wear Richmond guernseys from memory, can't recall the Imps jumpers or could be the other way around so at least they kept something with the Diggers (nee United jumpers). Should get together on that book Mobb, would sell well me thinks.

Rosco5 said:
Mobb, the book was a bit of a joke but it would be good to compile one with all the merged clubs or ones that are no longer. It is sad to see (or more to the point not see) all the old memorabilia that is lost, old jumpers, photos, cups, footies etc etc from disbanded clubs. I have seen clubs that are still in existence not know where certain trophies or other memorabilia are, it is a real shame, borderline blasphemy. Yes, North Horsham were Homers, still got a cricket side in the comp up there. Do remember when Marnoo folded, end of 98 or 99 was it ?, real shame for the town too. Dunolly don't appear to be too far off either. The Wonwondah side used to wear Richmond guernseys from memory, can't recall the Imps jumpers or could be the other way around so at least they kept something with the Diggers (nee United jumpers). Should get together on that book Mobb, would sell well me thinks.

Well I don't know about books but there's plenty of clubs on footypedia.com, 5000 to be imprecise. It is definitely sad to see info go missing, and clubs themselves, for that matter. I have two projects in the pipeline; one is a compilation basically of the footypedia stuff, and another is a footy leagues map, where you scroll by three dimensions, latitude, longitude and time. It already works but I am no programmer and its only in obsolete language QBasic. Still, it raised my eyebrows when I used it to view the carnage.

Marnoo lasted one or two rounds into 2000, just not enough players, they were all coming from Donald and St Arnaud and so forth. Rupanyup were keen on joining forces because the Noo was still pretty well off in the where-with-all stakes. The closest they got was one or two players and a couple of Panthers matches being held at Marnoo.

Dunolly's darkest hours seemed to be in the Loddon Valley, apparently they're a little more stable now in the MCDFL. Same with Avoca, sometimes clubs are just aligned with a league that doesn't mean enough to them. I saw some of Landsborough's, and some of Moonambel's hidings, and indeed some of Marnoo's . Natimuk is copping it pretty severely at the moment.

On the Wunghnu subject, I think Yarroweyah only beat them on the weekend by 2 points so there must be another struggler in the Picola DFL. Avoca won 3 or 4 in 5-6 years in the old league then lost all their players in the late 90's. And as for Natimuk, I think Harrow-Balmoral (ie.Douglas-Haroow-Balmoral-Pigeon Ponds-Miga Lake-Corriwirricoo-Kanagulk United) only beat them by 7 goals Saturday. They do have some good youngsters but they get sucked in to United and Horsham. Good to see the Diggers beat Horsham this weekend too !!

What is Perry Meka's reputation? I have heard stories about his time with Tongala.

I believe he is coaching Ardmona in the KDFL this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back